1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought I'd miss a rev counter too coming off a GSX-R but to be honest, after the scream of a ride I had today, I can honestly say I don't see the need.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'd like a tacho, but probably just for curiosity value. those LCD units look pretty swish.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
For me it was a case of wanting one rather than needing one. I've never owned a bike, or car for that matter, without one.

It's not a difficult job, especially when you have help from someone who's done it before (Pretender :))

Cheers

Bill

·
Ex 9fiddy sm'er
4,925 Posts
It's just a shame the handy little triangular shaped indent on the tacho can't be utilised better. You know what I mean, like a green to red increasing light from bottom to top like they have on race cars..

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me it was a case of wanting one rather than needing one. I've never owned a bike, or car for that matter, without one.

It's not a difficult job, especially when you have help from someone who's done it before (Pretender :))

Cheers

Bill
Hi

Can you give me an idea of how you did it and where you got the tacho from

Kind regards

MArk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hi

Can you give me an idea of how you did it and where you got the tacho from

Kind regards

MArk
The tach is made by Nova MMB in Germany

http://www.nova-mmb.com/

also supplied by

http://www.louis.de/

search for Drehzahlmesser, German for tacho.

The tacho has lots of options for face/surround/LED colour etc. but I used the the 48 mm 0-12,000 rpm variant.

For power the tacho has seperate connections available for tacho power and for the LED illumination. I wired these two together to ACC2 which is the accessory circuit on the 950SM wired to the ignition, buried in the loom in the headlamp mask.

Sensing is via a pin in the bikes ECU, which is located underneath the tank, in the frame fold just behind the headstock that is normally screened by 2 pieces of black plastic. You'll need to solder a female pin onto the end of the sensing cable and insert it into the ECU connector to make the connection.

Space wise the area in the headlight mask behind where I've mounted mine is quite busy. You have to trim down the bolt and nut that hold on the rhs indicator, and reposition a bracket that holds a few pieces of wiring loom. Nothing too tricky but time consuming.

The hole in the dash was cut with a tank cutter like this

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/PRI400.html?id=Kf3K5zgh

below the size of the tach, then taken out with a dremel until the tacho was a tight fit. Then I hot glued it in.

Cheers

Bill

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think one of these gives enough of information about revs. When yours riding mode is relaxed it doesn't matter , but when you speed up it's important to keep it in the specific rev range.And it looks cool:smokin:.Photos are from net, not my bikes:D

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think one of these gives enough of information about revs. When yours riding mode is relaxed it doesn't matter , but when you speed up it's important to keep it in the specific rev range.And it looks cool:smokin:.Photos are from net, not my bikes:D
Yeah I've got something similar. Its alright, works well,...but I'd just prefer a tach for some reason. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tach is made by Nova MMB in Germany

http://www.nova-mmb.com/

also supplied by

http://www.louis.de/

search for Drehzahlmesser, German for tacho.

The tacho has lots of options for face/surround/LED colour etc. but I used the the 48 mm 0-12,000 rpm variant.

For power the tacho has seperate connections available for tacho power and for the LED illumination. I wired these two together to ACC2 which is the accessory circuit on the 950SM wired to the ignition, buried in the loom in the headlamp mask.

Sensing is via a pin in the bikes ECU, which is located underneath the tank, in the frame fold just behind the headstock that is normally screened by 2 pieces of black plastic. You'll need to solder a female pin onto the end of the sensing cable and insert it into the ECU connector to make the connection.

Space wise the area in the headlight mask behind where I've mounted mine is quite busy. You have to trim down the bolt and nut that hold on the rhs indicator, and reposition a bracket that holds a few pieces of wiring loom. Nothing too tricky but time consuming.

The hole in the dash was cut with a tank cutter like this

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/PRI400.html?id=Kf3K5zgh

below the size of the tach, then taken out with a dremel until the tacho was a tight fit. Then I hot glued it in.

Cheers

Bill
Bill,

I've been looking at the MMB tacho wiring. This may sound daft but when connecting the tacho to the ECU which connection is it, postive input pulse (green wire) or negative (white wire)?

Thanks.

David.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Bill,

I've been looking at the MMB tacho wiring. This may sound daft but when connecting the tacho to the ECU which connection is it, postive input pulse (green wire) or negative (white wire)?

Thanks.

David.
I would have thought you could avoid the ecu and just hook it up to the rear ignition coil.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have this

Lets hope the 08 950sm has a rev counter
What on earth for? :confused:

It's gotta make more sense to use your ears to listen for when to change gear, and keep your eyes free for spotting stuff that's important to steer around.

If you're still at the stage where you need a rev counter to know when you need to change gear, then mebbe you're just not yet ready for a fairly powerful bike like a 950....... :burp: :D

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

It's gotta make more sense to use your ears to listen for when to change gear, and keep your eyes free for spotting stuff that's important to steer around.

If you're still at the stage where you need a rev counter to know when you need to change gear, then mebbe you're just not yet ready for a fairly powerful bike like a 950....... :burp: :D

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I dont need one but last time i did a track day at croft, they were not gonna let me on track coz i did,nt have one, they need it for the noisey can test or summit, luckily my bike is standard so i got away with it but am modding my bike for next year coz am loving takin it on track, ooohhhhhhhh what a kerfuffle!

·
Registered
7,523 Posts

If you have never ridden a bike with one, you won,t understand. :burnout:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts