KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you have never ridden a bike with one, you won,t understand. :burnout:
Great post. Thanks for turning up. :dozey:

Suspected translation into English =

I can't begin to try and explain the possible benefits of a rev counter because of one of the following options -
1) I don't actually understand why it might be better, but some bloke told me they'd be great for some reason or other and I believed him.
2) I do understand why they are useful, but I'm despicably smug and can't be bothered to try and explain to you in case there's an error in my logic and I'm shown to be a fool
3) Ooooh - shiny stickers on ebay.... oh sorry - what was the question again?
For what it's worth - I've ridden plenty of bikes with a rev counter.

I generally try to look where I'm going, not at the dash (well, unless I'm trying to get directions from the sat nav, or check my speed as I pass a camera).

When the engine's revving its nuts off, I change up. When it's labouring, I change down.

The chances of it making the slightest bit of difference as to whether I make those changes within a few hundred rpms each time is frankly minimal. I tend to adjust shift points depending on riding conditions and my frame of mind anyway.
The chances of me riding better by looking where I'm going, instead of down at the clocks... is pretty high.

So.... what's your point? :confused:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Great post. Thanks for turning up. :dozey:

Suspected translation into English =

For what it's worth - I've ridden plenty of bikes with a rev counter.

I generally try to look where I'm going, not at the dash (well, unless I'm trying to get directions from the sat nav, or check my speed as I pass a camera).

When the engine's revving its nuts off, I change up. When it's labouring, I change down.

The chances of it making the slightest bit of difference as to whether I make those changes within a few hundred rpms each time is frankly minimal. I tend to adjust shift points depending on riding conditions and my frame of mind anyway.
The chances of me riding better by looking where I'm going, instead of down at the clocks... is pretty high.

So.... what's your point? :confused:
I suspect its because he's read some of other posts and decided:
"This muppets a wind up artist I'll ignore him" :D
Who the fuck are you? The KTM circuit judge? :D He's got a rev counter because he wants one. Enough said. Because he doesn't care to explain why to you, doesn't mean its not valid. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
984 Posts
I suspect its because he's read some of other posts and decided:
"This muppets a wind up artist I'll ignore him" :D
If so, he didn't do a particularly good job of ignoring me. Directly replying to my "Why?" question could almost be considered to be the exact opposite of ignoring me.

Who the fuck are you? The KTM circuit judge? :D
I'm stoo. The clue is just above my posts.... where it says "stoo" ;)

He's got a rev counter because he wants one. Enough said. Because he doesn't care to explain why to you, doesn't mean its not valid. :rolleyes:
I don't think I've ever implied that "wanting to have one" isn't a valid reason to have one. I don't see the appeal myself and am genuinely interested as to why others feel they might be important to have. I realise my original post was erring towards a touch of playful banter, rather than being a dreary formal request for technical info - if you feel that it was unacceptably aggressive then you have both my apologies and my pity.

If he doesn't want to explain it to me - then fair enough. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I've mentioned my suspicions as to why that might be the case in my previous post. But this is a discussion forum.... and questions and answers and all that kind of stuff are kind of a big part of the whole thing.
No answer = no problem.

But if instead of answering, you say.... just respond with a trite nonsensical attempt at a put-down... well, that strikes me as a little bit off, TBH.

:)

·
Registered
611 Posts
If so, he didn't do a particularly good job of ignoring me. Directly replying to my "Why?" question could almost be considered to be the exact opposite of ignoring me.

I'm stoo. The clue is just above my posts.... where it says "stoo" ;)

I don't think I've ever implied that "wanting to have one" isn't a valid reason to have one. I don't see the appeal myself and am genuinely interested as to why others feel they might be important to have. I realise my original post was erring towards a touch of playful banter, rather than being a dreary formal request for technical info - if you feel that it was unacceptably aggressive then you have both my apologies and my pity.

If he doesn't want to explain it to me - then fair enough. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. I've mentioned my suspicions as to why that might be the case in my previous post. But this is a discussion forum.... and questions and answers and all that kind of stuff are kind of a big part of the whole thing.
No answer = no problem.

But if instead of answering, you say.... just respond with a trite nonsensical attempt at a put-down... well, that strikes me as a little bit off, TBH.

Goodness, so many quotes :D Well 3 to be precise, but I'm flattered ;)
But you're not genuinly interested, you just like to have the occasional dig a little wind up every now and then. Thats OK if thats how you get your jollies but dont pretend its anything else. ;)
You consider it a little off. Aww shame. Ask yourself, you think I care? :D

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
What on earth for? :confused:

It's gotta make more sense to use your ears to listen for when to change gear, and keep your eyes free for spotting stuff that's important to steer around.

If you're still at the stage where you need a rev counter to know when you need to change gear, then mebbe you're just not yet ready for a fairly powerful bike like a 950....... :burp: :D
Thought you asked me about the gear indicator, as per my picture posted :D

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Bill,

I've been looking at the MMB tacho wiring. This may sound daft but when connecting the tacho to the ECU which connection is it, postive input pulse (green wire) or negative (white wire)?

Thanks.

David.
It's the green one.

I would have thought you could avoid the ecu and just hook it up to the rear ignition coil.
Yep, you can use an ignition coil too.

Bill (the person with the rev counter :))

·
Registered
984 Posts
Goodness, so many quotes :D Well 3 to be precise, but I'm flattered ;)
Tis but one quote, split into 3 easy bite size chunks.

The fact that someone feels the need to go to extra effort to make things easier for you to understand shouldn't necessarily be assumed as complimentary ;)

But you're not genuinly interested, you just like to have the occasional dig a little wind up every now and then. Thats OK if thats how you get your jollies but dont pretend its anything else. ;)
Easy assumption to make, I suppose - but wrong.

I am genuinely interested in why folk feel the need to have a rev counter. If there's a chance I'm missing out on some aspect of biking whereby I might get more pleasure or reward of some kind through having a rev counter on my bike - I'd honestly like to know about it. I'd be crazy not to.

I'm now also genuinely interested in why people feel the need to have a rev counter, but get defensive when asked to explain why. Needless to say, I have my suspicions. :D

You consider it a little off. Aww shame. Ask yourself, you think I care? :D
Oh no... that's not good. See now I have a mental picture of you as that ghastly Catherine Tate bint and the character that replies "Bovvered?" whenever stuck for a decent reply... :frown:

Thought you asked me about the gear indicator, as per my picture posted :D
Nope - was asking about the rev counter you were expressing a desire for on the '08 models, as per your comment at the end of the post.... :burp:

I have this

Lets hope the 08 950sm has a rev counter
What on earth for? :confused:
See?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Tis but one quote, split into 3 easy bite size chunks.

The fact that someone feels the need to go to extra effort to make things easier for you to understand shouldn't necessarily be assumed as complimentary ;)

Easy assumption to make, I suppose - but wrong.

I am genuinely interested in why folk feel the need to have a rev counter. If there's a chance I'm missing out on some aspect of biking whereby I might get more pleasure or reward of some kind through having a rev counter on my bike - I'd honestly like to know about it. I'd be crazy not to.

I'm now also genuinely interested in why people feel the need to have a rev counter, but get defensive when asked to explain why. Needless to say, I have my suspicions. :D

Oh no... that's not good. See now I have a mental picture of you as that ghastly Catherine Tate bint and the character that replies "Bovvered?" whenever stuck for a decent reply... :frown:

Nope - was asking about the rev counter you were expressing a desire for on the '08 models, as per your comment at the end of the post.... :burp:

See?

Wow.
All that for me. :redface: Who would have thought it? Its got everything. Paragraphs, quotes, use of italics its brilliant stoo. But nothing in bold or a different font. Shame. You even used the word ghastly. That was good. Ghastly. Nope not read that on a motorbike forum before. Its almost an essay.
But I digress :D
It seems to me Stoo that you're trying to convince yourself you're genuinely, most sincerely interested in other peoples subjective experiences but it also seems you just don't understand them. And when you don't understand you get all 'smartarseish' and have the stunning nerve to patronise and suggest they're defensive.
People do, want, have, all kinds of things because it pleases them and because it takes them away from the daily grind. The logic might not be there but it doesn't reduce its worth.
My personal logic for wanting a rev counter? Because I can't hear that perfect moment, that 100% on the button moment when I'm at perfect peak torque. I'm thereabouts listening out for it. But I love the idea of it not being a couple of hundred revs eitheir side of perfect, but actually on it. Practically? it doesn't matter. But I like the idea.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow.
All that for me. :redface:
Errr no... half of it was for Terry. Notice the parts where I was replying to Terry's quoted text? ;)

Who would have thought it? Its got everything. Paragraphs, quotes, use of italics its brilliant stoo. But nothing in bold or a different font. Shame. You even used the word ghastly. That was good. Ghastly. Nope not read that on a motorbike forum before. Its almost an essay.
But I digress :D
It seems to me Stoo that you're trying to convince yourself you're genuinely, most sincerely interested in other peoples subjective experiences but it also seems you just don't understand them. And when you don't understand you get all 'smartarseish' and have the stunning nerve to patronise and suggest they're defensive.
It seems to me that you're largely talking bollocks. :D

I didn't suggest he was defensive because I didn't understand something - I suggested he was defensive because his answer was both patronising, and nonsense, as well as avoiding answering the question.

People do, want, have, all kinds of things because it pleases them and because it takes them away from the daily grind. The logic might not be there but it doesn't reduce its worth.
Where have I suggested that it does? :confused:

I don't think I've ever implied that "wanting to have one" isn't a valid reason to have one.
For all I care you could glue a traffic cone to your lid and cover your bike in hundreds and thousands. If it made you happy, then fair play. :)

My personal logic for wanting a rev counter? Because I can't hear that perfect moment, that 100% on the button moment when I'm at perfect peak torque. I'm thereabouts listening out for it. But I love the idea of it not being a couple of hundred revs eitheir side of perfect, but actually on it. Practically? it doesn't matter. But I like the idea.
Fair enough. Although I thought

sounded more plausible meself, but either's good.

Does it feel good to have opened up? :D :smokin:

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Classic Forum row!!! "Die-hard seat-of-the-pants REAL biker vs bike-blinging, sticker-fitting, weekend-warriors" - almost Visordown quality...

I feel like I'm missing out... :D

I personally don't think the 950 SM "needs" a rev counter, but if someone sold an easy-to-install aftermarket one I'd be fascinated to have it, simply out of interest - cos although I do ride by feel, I might like to know what revs I'm running at on occasion. ...Pure curiosity, and why not? ...I could probably ride legally & safely without a speedo too, but it's nice to know the actual mph when required... I also don't "need" a tacho, ...or a neutral light for that matter (my GFs Husky hasn't got one and it doesn't bother me at all), but there's nowt wrong with information. ("Information IS power" - apparently ;) )

...It may not make me ride my bike any better, but when I'm discussing how it performs, and looking to compare like-for-like experiences with other riders, at least I could mention the RPM in context...

I would however argue that for some people it would be genuinely useful for running-in. I'd never run-in a big V-Twin before my 950, and although I could now do another one by feel, when the bike was new I had to memorise the speeds in each gear, until I trusted myslef to just feel when I was labouring the engine. - but it took about 300 miles before I was tuned-in to the bike... Big singles and in-line fours are so different.

If I did get a rev counter (unlikely), and it turned out to be pointless, I'd at least have filled in an ugly gap on the dash (LOL)...

...although there'd be less room for stickers. ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts
For all I care you could glue a traffic cone to your lid and cover your bike in hundreds and thousands. If it made you happy, then fair play. :)

There's nothing there worth replying to. Except...for the above. Could you possibly empathise and see what a hand wringing, mealy mouthed male punta you make yourself sound? Hundreds of thoudsands? Seriously, Its fucking embarrassing. I mean, would you say that kind of shit out loud? If the answers yes then let me tell you, your mates aren't your mates. They're people who abide you and speak of you in piss taking ways when your thankfully not around. "It could be worse, I could be like Stoo." And then they laugh. Hard. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Well Stoo is not this one "bike-blinging, sticker-fitting, weekend-warriors" that's for sure.:)
I cant see the point of rev counter myself IMHO, but a gear indicator would be nice and maybe some tassels.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Well Stoo is not this one "bike-blinging, sticker-fitting, weekend-warriors" that's for sure.:)
I cant see the point of rev counter myself IMHO, but a gear indicator would be nice and maybe some tassels.
Now yer talking!!! Bin rev counters, gear position indicators, even slipper clutches and quickshifters...

...From the KTM Soft Parts catalogue... Bar-End ecoutrements:

21 - 40 of 64 Posts