KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
...and if he'd ever riddena bike with tassels, he'd know the unique bond that me and Pete feel when we're riding in the wind, in our open faced lids, chrome glistening in the California sun... flares flapping and 'taches pushed back around our ears...

waitaminute... wrong forum, right? :eek:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
...and if he'd ever riddena bike with tassels, he'd know the unique bond that me and Pete feel when we're riding in the wind, in our open faced lids, chrome glistening in the California sun... flares flapping and 'taches pushed back around our ears...

And I thought i'd lost the plot.....:D

·
Registered
4,682 Posts

Oi! It's supposed to be our little secret :redface:

·
Registered
984 Posts
There's nothing there worth replying to. Except...for the above. Could you possibly empathise and see what a hand wringing, mealy mouthed male punta you make yourself sound? Hundreds of thoudsands? Seriously, Its fucking embarrassing. I mean, would you say that kind of shit out loud? If the answers yes then let me tell you, your mates aren't your mates. They're people who abide you and speak of you in piss taking ways when your thankfully not around. "It could be worse, I could be like Stoo." And then they laugh. Hard. :rolleyes: ;)
So let me get this straight - You've definitely abandoned interest in the discussion, and are just sticking with the random personal insults then? :dozey:

Bit of a misunderstanding this, i did answer stooo,s post thinking he was talking about a gear indicator, my mistake. But there,s no need to go on about it like you are stoo.
If you have ridden a bike with a gear indicator you would probably understand what i,m on about.
No worries fella - crossed wires I guess. :redface:

Never tried a gear indicator... but then never really had owt with so much suplus grunt that it wasn't pretty obvious which gear you needed to be in anyway.

Strangely enough, the new speedo I've fitted to the 250 has a rev counter on it. Not got round to wiring it up yet though..... Maybe I should :p

·
Registered
611 Posts
So let me get this straight - You've definitely abandoned interest in the discussion, and are just sticking with the random personal insults then? :dozey:

No worries fella - crossed wires I guess. :redface:

Never tried a gear indicator... but then never really had owt with so much suplus grunt that it wasn't pretty obvious which gear you needed to be in anyway.

Strangely enough, the new speedo I've fitted to the 250 has a rev counter on it. Not got round to wiring it up yet though..... Maybe I should :p
Now that wasn't so hard was it stoo :D See, you don't have to reply like a complete twat all the time, you can be friendly, humble and conciliatory. Keep it up, it might make a better person of you. Sorry the personal insults struck a nerve but you got to be cruel to be kind sometimes :D
Keep smiling buddy :D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Now that wasn't so hard was it stoo :D See, you don't have to reply like a complete twat all the time, you can be friendly, humble and conciliatory. Keep it up, it might make a better person of you. Sorry the personal insults struck a nerve but you got to be cruel to be kind sometimes :D
Keep smiling buddy :D
:rolleyes:

No nerves have been struck here, I'm afraid to report.

You and you alone have crossed the line from playful banter to personal insults.

If you feel that reflects badly on me, while empowering you to take some sort of moral high ground, then I think you may have got things somewhat arse about face.

:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's the green one.

Yep, you can use an ignition coil too.

Bill (the person with the rev counter :))
Thanks Bill.

Who would have thought that such an issue would cause so much controversial comment. Hey, but keep it up everybody, it's what makes the Forum.

David.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have this

Lets hope the 08 950sm has a rev counter
Terry! Congratulations on getting it plumbed in and working. I posted pictures of mine mounted but not wired in - Unfortunately the bike was half-inched before I got to finish the job.

May I ask what feed you used for the tacho and speedo? For the tacho I used the ignition wire to the coil pack, but it didn't seem to work. I think I also tried a pin on the ecu by the headstock. It may have been the speedo... I can't tell, but I just know one was wrong!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hey saw this on ebay. Some guy removed it from his 950SM to fit a 2007 superduke guage cluster with rev counter.

Me, I'd rather just watch the sky, (er I mean road ahead of course).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-Speedometer-Cluster-950-990-ADV-SM-SE-SD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50465QQihZ018QQitemZ280160919960QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

I've heard of people fitting the SD dash to 950sm.
You're having a laugh :D Talk about coming full circle :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
The tach is made by Nova MMB in Germany

www.mmb-messtechnik.de

also supplied by

Louis - Motorrad & Freizeit - Europas Nr.1 für Motorradbekleidung, Motorradhelme und Motorradzubehör.

search for Drehzahlmesser, German for tacho.

The tacho has lots of options for face/surround/LED colour etc. but I used the the 48 mm 0-12,000 rpm variant.

For power the tacho has seperate connections available for tacho power and for the LED illumination. I wired these two together to ACC2 which is the accessory circuit on the 950SM wired to the ignition, buried in the loom in the headlamp mask.

Sensing is via a pin in the bikes ECU, which is located underneath the tank, in the frame fold just behind the headstock that is normally screened by 2 pieces of black plastic. You'll need to solder a female pin onto the end of the sensing cable and insert it into the ECU connector to make the connection.

Space wise the area in the headlight mask behind where I've mounted mine is quite busy. You have to trim down the bolt and nut that hold on the rhs indicator, and reposition a bracket that holds a few pieces of wiring loom. Nothing too tricky but time consuming.

The hole in the dash was cut with a tank cutter like this

Buy 400 Tank Cutter for Hand Brace/drill Stand, Tank Cutters from Tool-Up UK

below the size of the tach, then taken out with a dremel until the tacho was a tight fit. Then I hot glued it in.

Cheers

Bill
you are a STAR!!!! finally i found what i was lloking for! many thanks. I ll think for my 640 sm, they should have the same display/space with 950

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hello people,
not really fussed about why you want a tacho, and even less interested in hearing everyone's arguments about why it's not necessary... Please. If you want one, you do! Simple!!

I fell into this camp and spent some time researching the various solutions other owners had devised. Quite frankly, most of these were pants. The one exception was found over at ktmtalk.com where an enterprising chap had grafted a 990 SD cluster onto his 950 SM. Look here: Board Message

It turns out the 990SM cluster is the same too, which is exactly what I used on mine. Follow the link for photos and all the necessary detail needed to wire it up. It is not difficult if you're comfortable with wiring and have the skills to make up the mount. I used a flat plastic panel rather than the aluminium shown in the link, and the complete project cost was under 150GBP three years ago with the parts bought in the US (I happened to be visiting on a business trip and the exchange-rate was too good to ignore). If anyone's interested I'll get off my arse and go take a piccy of the finished solution to post.

Enjoy.

Cheers... Paul

·
Registered
253 Posts
not really fussed about why you want a tacho, and even less interested in hearing everyone's arguments about why it's not necessary... Please. If you want one, you do! Simple!
It's also a four year old thread which has just be rejuvenated by someone finding what they were after! ;)

If anyone's interested I'll get off my arse and go take a piccy of the finished solution to post.
I am interested, although it's not a mod which is specifically needed, I quite like it. So far I've found the same as you - not great solutions and/or products no longer sold. I'll check out the link you posted up when I have time to register on KTM Talk later this evening. But if you wouldn't mind posting a picture of your solution, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Paul!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts