KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had an opinion about riding my 2009 exc250 2t on the road? If I’m cruising about 60 the throttle is barely open which has got me worrying about lubrication, but then I think of YouTube vids of people who’ve supermoto’d one and think they’d be seizing them all the time if it was a problem. I’m getting fed up with loading/unloading my van, then not being able to get parked when I return, for what is usually about a 25 mile round trip, and would prefer to sell the van and buy a road bike. I’d also be interested in knowing what gearing changes I could make to lower the revs on the road, I find first gear is completely useless for the riding I do and never need to go below 2nd. My current gearing is 13/53, and I could definitely get by with 1st being more like 2nd currently is. Any other ideas welcome to stop me changing to a 4t.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
13/53....I'm not surprised that you don't use first gear. On my 300 I run 13/48, I think that without the mods to my engine I would probably run 13/50 but the mods have given it a bit more bottom end punch. (Skimmed head, Gnarly pipe, STIC block). I only green lane but this does require a fair bit of road riding, I find it boring on the road so I only run at about 55 MPH, going any faster would not make it anymore interesting! The throttle is barely cracked open but I'm not worried about the small amount of oil going into the engine, its under hardly any load and therefore hardly producing any heat.

Now and again I do open it up the road, when slowing down from high-ish speed I pull the clutch in so that the engine is not on 'over-run' any length of time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, I’ve just been trawling through the net and it does seem my gearing is very low. Most my riding is singletrack/woods riding and I rarely if ever go below 3rd then, only when pratting about in a quarry. I always try to pull the clutch in when I can on the road, thanks for your thoughts on the lube issue.

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
They are awful on the road for anything more tha hoping on and off lanes.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
I ran 14 48 on my 300 and that gearing was good for everywhere that l road the bike (from flat east anglia to hilly central france). Even when jetted correctly, a 2t exc is not the best on the road and you have to keep your ear open for audible signs of impending mechanical trauma (much like riding a suzuki X7 back in the day)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
2015 white 250 wearing 13/50. I have to make a concerted effort to stop the itch to wheelie in second and third - lifts like Marilyn Monroes dress on an extract vent. I love them engine vibes it’s very pleasurable whilst seated.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I know that mine is a 300 TPI, I mainly green lane with the odd practice day/enduro, but I do a lot of road work to get to the lanes I use and I run 14/50 and find it perfect for the way I ride.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I guess 14/48 or 14/50 seems to be what people are running if they need to do any road work, the OP is running 13/53 and that is definitely going to be very 'revvy' on the road.

EDIT...I'm a fuckwit! I run 13/50! Even so that is still taller than 13/53. (Actually I did state 13/50 in my first post, so not a total fuckwit then!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I’ll try 14/50 I think, if it makes my 1st gear like 2nd and 2nd like 3rd, I’ll be happy.
Back when I was a teenager i did once run my H100 dry of oil and remember the warning signs it was about to seize, so will bare in mind that the engine is not exactly designed with road work in mind. I do run a little bit more oil than the manual recommends at 50/1.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I ran 14 48 on my 300 and that gearing was good for everywhere that l road the bike (from flat east anglia to hilly central france). Even when jetted correctly, a 2t exc is not the best on the road and you have to keep your ear open for audible signs of impending mechanical trauma (much like riding a suzuki X7 back in the day)
X7..that brings back memories fragile is a word that springs to mind...I had a kr1s too even worse!..😄

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
I saw an old GT185 recently ...... almost tempted then thought better of it!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had several LC's they were OK if left standard but that wasn't the case for any of mine, the last 350 that I had was tuned to buggery, the powerband started at the redline! I revved it to 12500 RPM, it needed a crank rebuild every 5k miles, if you missed a gear change the crank would spread apart even though it was welded up! My mate reckoned it was like riding a chain saw.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I have had a few 2 stroke enduro bikes on the road and to be honest they do not make good road bikes, remember an old yamaha it 250 going down a dual carrageway I could tell it was not happy and got the clutch in just in time, as I was slowing down I thought I would let the clutch out see if it would free off but could only here this horrible clanking noise, looked down to see the cylinder and head going up and down:(

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
I used to commute from near Cheddar to Poole in Dorset weekly on RGVs and YPVS f2s. I then did the same down to Plymouth for years and even some 250 proddy racing. I went through a few motors (and a ban or two). Not surprising though doing 110 everywhere as cruising speed. Bloody loved it though. 4t road bikes were just to boring and safe to a young un. Never had an autolube system fail though- take note KTM.

I enjoy up to ten miles or so on the road on the 150 now but it has to be twisty lanes. No A roads or dual carriageways.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I run stock 14:50 and have a 13T front for more technical stuff... desert is quite wide open in places. Only 5-10 mins on tarmac to cut into villages and towns for fuel... too busy doing pops and bunny hops over the large 4x4 sized speed bumps... probably not the best comparison but surges a lot less with the Lectron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got to admit I leave my jetting as is, year round. I doubt I ride when it’s below 5c. When it’s cold it’s probably spot on, sounds very clean. It’s not so rich when it’s warmer that it bothers me.

ive ordered the new sprockets but might be forced to have a rethink. The place I was riding locally wasn’t strictly legal but I’d never heard of there being a problem, however the police were up there earlier in the week and handed a few section 59s. Because I live in Hull, where there’s no legal riding anywhere local, I’m now faced with riding up past Scarborough or to the Peak District, which puts the road mileage right up, it’ll be around a 90 mile round trip. I think I’d be better off selling the bike and van, and buying a 450.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Got to admit I leave my jetting as is, year round. I doubt I ride when it’s below 5c. When it’s cold it’s probably spot on, sounds very clean. It’s not so rich when it’s warmer that it bothers me.
Mine has the Suzuki needle on clip 2 (really cleans up the fueling) With a 168 and 42. Gone has the powerband! Now I’m looking at jetting out a bit of spooge, premix 50to1. The jetting is sweet although I’m going to try a 165 and 45 costing me a massive £8 If it’s no good I’ll go back to what it was. Green laning riding steady mostly off pipe I recon I’d get over 100 miles out of full tank i can’t grumble at that mpg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts