KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting set to spend my hard earned cash on a 250 EXC 2T and I'm trying to decide what riding gear/protective kit I need too. I was hoping you guys that already have some of this stuff can give your thoughts on the following... (I'm only going to ride H&H)

1) I like the look of the alpinestars bionic 2 protection jacket except for the seemingly huge OTT turtle shell back protector and the split chest plates which surely create a weak spot in the sternum area?? The sixsixone pressure suit looks a bit better to me???

2) Boots for H&H. Which are best? I guess they need to have some grip for sticky situations not like pure MX plaster cast boots like the Tech10's?

3) Do I need a neck brace? Which one is best?

4) Also ur thoughts on a skid lid pls! I've always been a Shoei fan for trials and the road, but am swaying towards Airoh.

I'm sure this discussion will help many people new to the sport so lets not bother with the "It's all down to personal preference mate" route please!!! ;-)
Even if you have comments good or bad on just one piece of riding gear.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I use Tech 7's for H&H, been really pleased with them. A few less £££ than the Tech 8/10's too. They seem to give good support and are very comfortable once worn in. They do look a bit MX, but seem fine to me.

I also use an Airoh lid. Again, really pleased with it. Very light !
You can tell the difference from using a cheap helmet straight away.

Thats all i can comment on really.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments Mark. I like the look of the Tech 7's but was wandering if they were a bit too stiff and lacking in tread on the soles? Same goes for the 8's & 10's?

Anyone got any comments on armour? Neck braces, knee guards, back protectors etc etc?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which sixsixone armour do you use wardy? Are you happy with all the kit you have?

What about knee guards/braces and neck braces? Are they used for H&H or too restrictive?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
i like the Knox body armour. the newer ones have a full brest plate and also wraps slightly round the ribs (could have done with that a few times!)

boots: i like the sidi crossfire as it has a hinge that protechs the ankle from bending the wrong way. i've had a 450 exc land on my ankle as it was laying on a rock and walked away from it. i'm sure any other boot would have broken my ankle

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Which sixsixone armour do you use wardy? Are you happy with all the kit you have?

What about knee guards/braces and neck braces? Are they used for H&H or too restrictive?
i use 661 pressure suit which offers good protection without being restrictive

cti 180 knee braces, expensive but good,

all used for h&h and i'm happy with all of it

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
for what its worth, my kit..... reasonable helmet, simple foam neck brace, elbow pads, roost guard (only racing), kidney belt, knee pads (normally just racing), boots (A'stars Tech 8's) and gloves...

I normally wear the foam neck brace as it will reduce the risk of your helmet breaking your collar bones if you have a tumble. the kidney belt stops you feeling like you have been beaten up the day after and improves your posture (in turn forces you to hold on with knees and reduces arm-pump)

Good kit in my opinion, is stuff you dont even notice when you are wearing it, for me Tech 8's fit this criteria perfectly...

I have a spare set of Thor knee pads/braces that cost about £70 but I never wear them now you can have for £25 if you are interested?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I treated my armour as a damage limitation purchase, the cost of the (expensive) Asterix knee guards and leatt neck brace were less than a couple of weeks off work with something busted.

I'd personally buy some decentish knee guards, some so so riding kit (race top etc) as that'll get trashed, I tend to buy boots second hand off eBay - there is some good stuff there if you look. The Leatt neck brace was restrictive at first, but since fitting the harness to it to hold it onto your shoulders it's been great. Having said that it is a git to fit (properly - as per the instructions) and for just some protection the foam ring is probably a more convenient and cheaper option.

RTS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts