KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here ride with spinal fusion? I can ride a bike happily with some discomfort but when it comes to my day to day business I struggle, for example I can’t run! Does anyone have anything similar?
cheers

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had burst fracture of L2, scaffolding in there now. Was back on bike after a few months. Then it hurt over every bump. Was too soon really. No issues at all now.
Best advise would be to concentrate on core strength exercises. Haven't done any for a long time now but I started doing superman push ups a couple months after the op. First one hurt like hell, but after a while built up strength and ended up at 60

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had burst fracture of L2, scaffolding in there now. Was back on bike after a few months. Then it hurt over every bump. Was too soon really. No issues at all now.
Best advise would be to concentrate on core strength exercises. Haven't done any for a long time now but I started doing superman push ups a couple months after the op. First one hurt like hell, but after a while built up strength and ended up at 60
Do you struggle with anything off the bike?, riding doesn’t aggregate it to much

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not really. Have a manual job and it does not affect anything. Can't bend over enough to touch my toes but that's probably more down my being unfit :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had an almost full fusion from C6 down when I was 16 ( a bloody long while ago) with 3 Harrington rods for good measure. I've done core exercises, stretches and a variety of resistance work almost daily from before 'the Core' was a thing - it can be onerous but I look at it as small price to pay to be able to be mobile enough to work from 17 years and ride motorbikes from a year later. I'm as creaky as hell now but I can still ride across Europe which I put down to the regular exercise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an almost full fusion from C6 down when I was 16 ( a bloody long while ago) with 3 Harrington rods for good measure. I've done core exercises, stretches and a variety of resistance work almost daily from before 'the Core' was a thing - it can be onerous but I look at it as small price to pay to be able to be mobile enough to work from 17 years and ride motorbikes from a year later. I'm as creaky as hell now but I can still ride across Europe which I put down to the regular exercise
Do you find riding the bike the easy part?, I know for me it is, intrigued as having work problems

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just had to learn how to do things like bending / lifting / balancing etc. again that worked for me - there was no easy answer - I did manual work as a welder, industrial maintenance engineer before I saw the light and am now a design engineer. I'm now i my fifties and I'm now finding too much heavy manual work a struggle, but I won't complain as I was 6 months from paralysis before my fusion so I made the most of it. I just had to stop and think about what I was about to do / lift etc then go at it steadily .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts