KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have given up trying to sell my 250excf so I want to prep it for green lanes and a little bit of road. I currently have michelin mediums in good nick and tubliss. I want to fit some sort of duel sport tyre like tkc80 or I may refit the stone kings if I still have them. Is it wise using tubliss on the road or should I go back to tubes? Any other advice for road riding?
I think I may raise the gearing a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
IME, tubliss are the marmite of tyre fillers and therefore a love and hate thing.

I tried them and couldnt get the front to work and a matey swore by them but he was never far from his track pump keeping them serviceable.

I went back to HD tubes realising that the grass is not always greener.

Trails here have a bit of road work and HD tubes have always been fine at 12psi.

I have used UHD tubes, but the heat from road work makes the surface of them snot up a bit, even with moose lube (think track bike tyre surface)

A matey of mine has and always will use stone kings, even for riding to a meet point from home and gets mega mileage from them.

So, IME, HD tubes with 12 psi and tyre of choice would do well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll do that then as every time I used the bike I had to pump the tyres up with tubliss. It's not a problem on practice days but I don't fancy it on the road/lanes.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I think I’d go with HD tubes. Makes sense for trails/road. Use loads of talcum powder in the tyre and decent rim locks.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Talc? No way! It turns to putty once wet. If anything, use moose lube or red rubber grease ...... RRG lasts much longer ime, but is a messy job.

·
Registered
478 Posts
TUbliss. fuck tubes n punctures. I've run TUbliss for laning for 6 years now across 3 bikes. I use the bike every 2nd weekend, usually 60-70 mile rides in winter and 100-120 miles in the longer summer days.
It takes 2 mins to put some air in the hi pressure bladder and usually lasts about 3 weeks before it needs topping up.
5 riders regular in our group. All of us have TUbliss, we have never had to stop or abandon a ride cause someone has got a puncture or wrecked a tube. Compare that to 2 TRF rides this year and had riders with punctures on both rides

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Tubliss for me too, I only greenlane with a bit of road work between the lanes. I just treat pumping the tubes up as part of the prep before the ride along with filling up my small oil bottles so I can makeup the pre mix at the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Punctures - l must have been lucky. HD tube, lube, decent rim locks, no valve nut and l seriously cant remember last puncture l had. Whatever works, and whatever you feel better equipped to deal with, will be the best solution. HD tubes, tubliss, desert mooses (apparantly ok/better for road use) ...... at least we have options to choose from.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like tubliss however I fitted a stone king tyre once which is the only tyre that I struggled to seal. I think it's because they are rock hard. So basically still use tubliss but no more stonekings.

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Tubliss is excellent when you consider not needing to carry levers and a spare tube just in case. I to have used Tubliss for hundreds of hours without a hitch. Yes you have to do pre ride checks but I’ve never had a show stopping issue with them. For some people though they are simply to complex. Not sure why but they are.

I’d not choose mousses based on cost and ride feel. You also have zero chance of adjustment and issues on legality if you had a serious accident (Tubliss technically legal either).

I said HD tubes due to simplicity, legality and cost. Sure you need to carry a spare and levers/tools but many trail riders don’t seem to mind weight and carrying stuff. They always seem to have rucksacks, safety glasses, water proofs over warm clothes, gps, big fuel tank, tow rope, heated grips, thick gloves and so on. What’s a few extra bits and bobs when you ride like/with all that? Tubes are also cheap as chips, fully legal and adjustable.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I dont carry tyre levers anymore. I do carry a tube of vulanising glue, taper hole reamer and some tyre weld/turd sticks. Small pump.
One of the best bits for me is the ease of changing tyres. I have never mastered changing tyres with tubes. Even after years of MX and changing tubes on a 19inch rim, I still have more fails than wins.
Changing a tyre on Tubliss just seems easier for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts