KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just fitted the 01’s and got to say imo
the compliment the bike very well. Handles better than before with Rossi 3’s.
I certainly would recommend them to anyone looking for a good all round tyre.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Been running them on my XR, very nice tyre but wearing out fairly quick for a sport touring tyre

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I struggled to get 3K out of a rear 01 on my 1190. Good tyre though, grippy with a velvet ride quality.
Using Road 5s at the moment. My usuals are Conti Road Attack 3s but the PR5s have a sportier profile, which I like. Prefer the compound of the Contis though. Grippier, more feedback and a more planted feel especially at the front.
Once got 5K out of a pair of RA3s but 4 is more usual. Just about getting 4K out of the PR5s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran these on an S1000R. Never again. Just didn't play well on that bike. Very slippy nature to them.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I struggled to get 3K out of a rear 01 on my 1190. Good tyre though, grippy with a velvet ride quality.
Using Road 5s at the moment. My usuals are Conti Road Attack 3s but the PR5s have a sportier profile, which I like. Prefer the compound of the Contis though. Grippier, more feedback and a more planted feel especially at the front.
Once got 5K out of a pair of RA3s but 4 is more usual. Just about getting 4K out of the PR5s.
As I have mentioned before I do not like the Road-5 Profile, it seems to suit some people and not others, grip good wet or dry, but that sharp ridge as it drops from mid lean to full lean gives me the willies as I go through it, and if you end up leaned over just enough to be right on that step it feels awful.

Got a pair of RA3's ready to fit and the OE Scorpions kicking around with just run-in miles, plan was to put them back on for spring and finish them off locally (they were wearing damn quick at run in speeds!) then fit RA3's for summer trip....

...Lockdown has put a spanner in the works, reckon no big trip this year si will finish off Road 5 and Pirrelli's then put RA3's on for next summer.

Was considering trying 01's next, but following your comments I am tempted to stick with RA3's if I really like them when I finally get around to fitting them - and at this rate by the time they are worn it will be Roadtec 02's and RA 4's on the market!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone is different tyres are a prime example? When I was poorly I wasn’t riding that hard on my Tuono Factory v twin and got over 5000 miles out of them. Now I’m well and have a 1290r and have just had 01’s fitted. They are a brilliant tyre imo but will have to see what mileage I get? I don’t understand why people complain about mileage on this bike when you consider the power and torque available?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
The 01s have been updated already since they first came out. They're 01 mk2's now. I'm tempted to revisit them but I'm not sure which areas they've improved over the originals. Unless they've changed the profile to make it sportier and given them deeper tread I reckon I'll get through them too quick and find them too conservative.

For some reason I've never had the ridge problem on my PR5s and I don't really feel any transition as the bike goes over, even when they're well worn and getting flattened in the middle.
What I have noticed though, is that they don't hold a cornering line as well as the Continentals. They're more prone to squirreling over road defects and they don't deal with bumps so well when you're really pushing on, and the front end doesn't feel as glued down.

Going by the sports touring tyre group test in the June edition of Ride mag, I might give Pirelli Angle GT IIs a go. They finished ahead of the Contis in the test and inspired great confidence. If they don't suit I'll go back to Road Attack 3s.

However, that's on an Adv. I guess the OP's bike is an SDR or a GT. In which case I'd run Conti Sport Attack 4s and sod the mileage. They're a phenomenal road sports tyre. They'll be going on my Ducati when I get it back in July, and on the Superduke. I wish I could put them on the 1190.

Road Attack 4s would be an interesting prospect. I'd try them like a shot.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Everyone is different tyres are a prime example? When I was poorly I wasn’t riding that hard on my Tuono Factory v twin and got over 5000 miles out of them. Now I’m well and have a 1290r and have just had 01’s fitted. They are a brilliant tyre imo but will have to see what mileage I get? I don’t understand why people complain about mileage on this bike when you consider the power and torque available?
I agree. I wouldn't ever expect anything above 2000 miles from a rear tyre on any litre+ sports bike or supernaked. You buy those bikes for their performance pure and simple and you can't have your cake and eat it.

I only count the miles on my 1190 because while it's still a seriously rapid bike that isn't scared to hustle with anything, I tour on it and I like to put it through its paces will I'm doing it, so performance and mileage are more of a balancing act. And choice is limited by rim size.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I had the Roadtech 01’s mark2, they have a different tread pattern on the front and the rear tread is much deeper I got 4,500 miles out of them on my Tuono and they still had some life left in them. For me they are the best sport touring tyre out there. I have no chicken strips on my bike and never had a moment wet or dry and my mate has just had them fitted to his s1000 r sport. We run them at 34 psi front and 38 psi at the rear which gives a nice plush ride. Hope this info helps?

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Well I had the Roadtech 01’s mark2, they have a different tread pattern on the front and the rear tread is much deeper I got 4,500 miles out of them on my Tuono and they still had some life left in them. For me they are the best sport touring tyre out there. I have no chicken strips on my bike and never had a moment wet or dry and my mate has just had them fitted to his s1000 r sport. We run them at 34 psi front and 38 psi at the rear which gives a nice plush ride. Hope this info helps?
How easily do they turn?
My main problem with the sports touring tyres I'm limited to on the 1190 is that they tend to have too flat and conservative a profile which makes the bike slower to steer and only gets worse as they wear. Especially so with the rear tyres which have a huge affect on a bike's willingness to turn.
The thing that drew me to the PR5s is their sports tyre-like profile. It's not so much the extra lean angle they allow, though that is welcome, but more the eagerness with which they change direction.

Does the profile on the mk 2 Roadtecs look any different to the mk 1s?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are much better all round, they turn easily in wet or dry conditions. I DId over a hundred miles today on twisties in Dorset, the are well planted don’t buck even if you give it a handful as you exit the corners. Tyres are a subjective choice but I think as an all round sports touring tyr which is more sports than touring. Suggest you try them but run them at 34 psi front and 38 rear. I would be pleased to hear your response.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I will give them a go and let you know how I get on. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to tyres and I do enough miles a year that a set don't last long and if I'm not enamoured it's no big deal.
38/34 are my usual running pressures on most tyres.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I only count the miles on my 1190 because while it's still a seriously rapid bike that isn't scared to hustle with anything, I tour on it and I like to put it through its paces will I'm doing it, so performance and mileage are more of a balancing act. And choice is limited by rim size.
+1, I can do 3,000 miles in a weeks trip, and about 4,000 in a fortnight (we chill out more when we have more time) had almost back-to-back 10 trips to the Pyrenees and Alps last year, tyres that lasted 2k would of meant a change mid-trip on both trips plus a change between trips - 3 sets of tyres....

...The Road 5's managed both trips with a bit of life left in them for blasting about local back lanes.

Another consideration is when touring you can experience cold and wet weather as well as scorchio - and all on the same day! A very sporty tyre will be outright dangerous in cold and wet conditions, even on a good summers day the temperatures at the tops of high passes will be fairly low - low enough to ensure a great track tyre has less grip than a 1970's Avon Roadrunner.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
That was the case when I went to Scotland. 4000 miles door to door and some days the tyres were ripping up on hot dry roads and the next it was cold and grey and steady as you go. Got to say though, Scottish A roads are generally very good in the wet. They expect cold wet weather and surface their roads accordingly. Some European surfaces are lethal, not least because they don't get wet often enough and develop a thick layer of road film which turns to grease in the rain.

I used Conti RA3s in Scotland and they were impeccable. TBF the PR5s are very good wet tyres as well but I think the RA3s have a tad more dry grip and they're more steadfast when holding a line.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just done 2000 miles on my Roadtechs 800 on motorway and hardly touched. Must say I’m impressed with the latest Metzeler’s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts