KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I mean for a driver to take your own van and look after the rider
Problem with that is you are trusting your van, kit, bike etc with someone you don’t know.

I know Eurotek charge £1350 for the travel and service package.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'll definitely be paying a main player to look after me. Be interesting to know which one is mentioned above (pm?) As I'm going to start calling them tomorrow or Monday.

I'm actually pretty good with nutrition and hydration as it's one way I've managed to race whilst being fat. It does make a massive difference. I certainly don't have a problem putting away the calories! 😂🤣😂

I'm planning some long days riding in Wales and at Wern etc. I know that just being on a bike for more than a few hours at a time is tiring in itself.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming if there is more!
Interesting fact about 'racing when fat': whatever the circumstances, the normal human body cannot take on more than 7000 calories per day. Get beyond that point and you use more energy digesting the surplus food than you gain from eating it.
A guy I know who raced (and finished) the Dakar a few times made a point of always starting the event overweight and a bit tubby, and burning through the reserves during the race. It avoids the Lyndon Poskit thing of having to eat pasta to the point of almost throwing up every morning...and knowing that if you did throw up you probably wouldn't make it to the end of the day.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Interesting fact about 'racing when fat': whatever the circumstances, the normal human body cannot take on more than 7000 calories per day. Get beyond that point and you use more energy digesting the surplus food than you gain from eating it.
A guy I know who raced (and finished) the Dakar a few times made a point of always starting the event overweight and a bit tubby, and burning through the reserves during the race. It avoids the Lyndon Poskit thing of having to eat pasta to the point of almost throwing up every morning...and knowing that if you did throw up you probably wouldn't make it to the end of the day.
True... But there's a limit! I'm not talking "pinch an inch", more like "grab a slab"

I can race/survive at clubman level ok but losing weight is the easiest/cheapest performance enhancement going.

When I did my black belt I was about the same weight I am now, and I was pretty good. When I did my 2nd Dan I was 4 stone lighter and without sounding arrogant, I was on another level then.

So I figure the same will probably happen with riding to some extent. It has to. I mean how many decent fat riders are there? If nothing else, it means you can train more and for longer each time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Have not done Romaniacs yet ( expensive race this ) but I am a local and I have been riding some of the tracks and offered support for riders during the race ( transport from Sibiu to the start of the day, food, hydration, etc ).

As some already mentioned the weather can change everything. They increased the level of difficulty in the last 3 years from my point of view and bronze is sharing many tracks with silver and iron with atom. The downhills on bronze are crazy, so if you go with bronze practice and practice all types of downhills...There was lots of rain on the 2020 autumn edition and most guys in bronze had a hard time on those downhills...

2021 was dry but the downhills were the same, plenty of videos on YouTube from this year...

End of July is still the storm season so take that in consideration, one hour of heavy rain can change the terrain completely...

If I will do the race I will start in Iron for first year, learn as much as I can and jump to Bronze on the next year...

It's not about the technique but more about the fitness on the bike, don't train for 3 hours, train for 6 hours...

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Excellent input mate, thanks!

Yeah I'm starting to lean towards iron now. Only my ego making me look at bronze. I guess that ego will soon disappear after getting fucked on the first day if bronze is too hard!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excellent input mate, thanks!

Yeah I'm starting to lean towards iron now. Only my ego making me look at bronze. I guess that ego will soon disappear after getting fucked on the first day if bronze is too hard!
No problem. If you have any questions, just let me know...I
should be busy for Romaniacs next year but if I can I am happy to help with logistics, etc.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
@Al_Orange check this guy's channel out for diet etc advice. Very good
Thanks Ship.

Sadly/fortunately I know a significant amount about diet and nutrition. It's just practicing what I know and managing a borderline eating disorder that I struggle with! :ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
I know what you mean Al. I am just over 6ft, just under 13st, and have to watch my diet to keep off meds for high b.p, cholestrol and diabetes. All of which l know are controlable by diet and exercise. ........ this last couple of years has been especially difficult because of lockdown, wfh, and reduces exercise because of post op / breakage recovery. Good luck with the new food regime 👍

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Cheers. I lost two stone in the first half of the year but have let 7-10 lbs creep back on over summer, so got to get back to it and nail about 40lbs if I can before July next year. Big ask but it's part of the challenge and motivation to doing Romaniacs in the first place.

It is hard, and the only people that think it isn't are those that have never had a problem. Fair play for keeping yourself healthy. Plenty of people just roll over and take the meds without bothering to look after themselves.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Exactly that! The thought of statins is enough of a driver - they can weaken muscle and bone to the extent that yoy get significant damage (as advised by a brilliant chiropractor) Dr's just want to hand out the meds rather than sorting the problem and too many believe the word of the Dr.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

Bit of a long watch but was very interesting. This guy sounds like an ex-para, put 300 hours on a bike in two years, is very fit, and still found bronze extremely tough....

Food for thought.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts

Bit of a long watch but was very interesting. This guy sounds like an ex-para, put 300 hours on a bike in two years, is very fit, and still found bronze extremely tough....

Food for thought.
Probably a complete bender and rode a 4t before.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts

Food for thought.
There is your answer l think! Iron.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
If in doubt…..stick to original slots. Bronze it up!

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I’m guessing silver is all doable/sensible nasty? The multi days would make that very hard. Gold is clearly all impossible and relentless. Proper pro grade.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts