KTM Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I’m guessing silver is all doable/sensible nasty? The multi days would make that very hard. Gold is clearly all impossible and relentless. Proper pro grade.
Pretty sure silver is national expert/championship level extreme isn't it?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Had a look at this year's results and there are a lot of riders disqualified. I'm guessing that if you fail two days then you aren't allowed to start the next day? I guess you probably don't want to but it would be good to know that even if the course was too hard you could give all four days a crack.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I can see why they cut you loose if you can’t cope. It’s to much of a logistic nightmare if you’ve got people who can’t get around or are avoiding riding. You can’t pick and choose. It’s not a tour, it’s a race.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Time out twice and you're out, they do have a trail ride on the final day for those who are failures... I was a failure on day 2 and 4.

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pretty sure silver is national expert/championship level extreme isn't it?
Joe deakin did it last year and Jamie Lewis this year so yes top expert rider in national extreme is the level for the top end silver guys. Low expert/decent clubman would probably finish without timing out but may be a slog depending on conditions.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can see why they cut you loose if you can’t cope. It’s to much of a logistic nightmare if you’ve got people who can’t get around or are avoiding riding. You can’t pick and choose. It’s not a tour, it’s a race.
They have Marshall’s which go out at the end of every day and throughout the day. Be a pain picking up the same guy every day stuck on the same sort of hill so I can see why they do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive been living in Romania on and off for about 6 years. If you're going to Romania id aim for the beach and save pushing your bike up hills for the Uk.

Id recommended somewhere like Beautiful by the Sea, Mamaia Nord. Not much in this world more beautiful than this place.... IMHO

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Ive been living in Romania on and off for about 6 years. If you're going to Romania id aim for the beach and save pushing your bike up hills for the Uk.

Id recommended somewhere like Beautiful by the Sea, Mamaia Nord. Not much in this world more beautiful than this place.... IMHO
In general Romania is a shit hole, and they treat dogs like dirt and brutally kill them in death camps (dog shelters).

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

In general Romania is a shit hole, and they treat dogs like dirt and brutally kill them in death camps (dog shelters).
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. But can we try and keep this thread more about the race if poss.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've raced Romaniacs 2 times, Enduro Panorama 5 times and Golden Mountain 1 time + lots of trips to Romania and have the following advice for you:

1. Do it! You will never regret taking on an amazing race down there and enjoy the most incredible riding terrain, amazing views, emotional ups and downs, fun with fellow riders and all in all an experience of a lifetime.
2. If you haven't been in Romania riding before, pick iron so you'll be sure to enjoy yourself. Its not fun to go there and not finish a class too high. Rather come back the year after for a greater challenge.
3. Do a short 3 day training-trip down there in the spring to familiarize yourself with the terrain, get in touch with Alfred from FM Racing (Log into Facebook) for a all inclusive training trip (bikes, lodging, food, guide)
4. Get a service team (Eurotek, FM Racing, etc) to take care of your bike and transport to and from the race-start and finish. It will take a huge load of your shoulders so you can focus on the main thing; riding and your well being.
5. You can get through with little fitness in iron, but you will be very very happy with getting a bit in shape. Bike-fitness is most important, ride as many hours as you can before coming down there. It will make it so much easier/fun when your body is used to being on the bike. Romaniacs is the best motivation for getting in better shape - and you will have instant gratification with your efforts when you hit the race track.

Prepare for loads of fun!!! :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you are middle/top of club level, bronze should possibly be a better option from riding skills point of view,however you'll need to be extremely fit because there is a lot of riding per day, x 4 days and no way you are not going to push your bike here and there on some endless steep hills. For the first attempt I would put the pride and mates aside and go for the iron class...could return next year and do bronze.
You will definitely need either a UK or Romanian based team to look after you and your bike...plenty of reasonably priced and knowledgeable local teams. Still budget for £3000-3500.
If your budget allows, fly out there for 3-4 days and ride.
There are at least 2 companies doing guided tours around Sibiu area, basically on the very same tracks as the race. Romania is on the green list now, we just returned from there with couple of mates.
Gesture Sky Headgear Vehicle Squad

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Fair advice. It is looking like Iron is more sensible right now. Although, unless I find it pretty easy, I can't see myself going back to do bronze.

Discussing with the wife, and I'd not really even considered the whole COVID situation and whether or not it's worth the risk to go to Romania. (each to their own, let's not start that here!) so I'm now contemplating waiting until 2023 anyway.

Although,it is possible to enter now and then push it back to 2023 at some point so I'm tempted to enter Bronze now, and if within 6 months, I'm nowhere near fit enough, I can move it over to 2023.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Go for Iron if its your first time, you will have so much more fun finishing iron than getting time barred in bronze and DSQ'ed from the race. You can always do a higher category next year if you dont succeed.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
You see this Al?

Cheers Pindie.

If only from a fitness standpoint, I'm pretty sure I need to go Iron. Unfortunately it's full for next year. It was full in 2 days due to the massive carry over from last year.

Will try and work something out. Still training and trying to get fit anyway.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Cheers Pindie.

If only from a fitness standpoint, I'm pretty sure I need to go Iron. Unfortunately it's full for next year. It was full in 2 days due to the massive carry over from last year.

Will try and work something out. Still training and trying to get fit anyway.
E mail Cristina and she may put you on a shortlist. Plenty of people drop out before the event.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Have contacted them and will wait and see what happens.

It's interesting having something like that to focus on though. I've noticed a few observations:

1. When faced with something a bit "arse clenching", I'm more likely to just get on with it as I figure there will be plenty of scary moments over there.

2. Every time I finish a ride, I'm thinking "what if I had to do that ride (and harder) again for three more days". I think it's this thought that makes me sure iron is the one to go for.

3. It's definitely made me think more about what I need to get out of a days riding. Am I trying to get better technically or is it extending ride time. Also, trying to build a sub-max effort speed that I can maintain, rather than trying to go as fast as possible everywhere.

It's definitely made riding more interesting for the moment, and I'm sure I'll improve even if I don't make it out there.

It's also made me focus on my fitness and that's become the main goal. I'm determined to lose 3 stone and get fit no matter what happens.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I reckon you need to calm down and think about this properly over a Guinness and a pie.

I’ve not done romaniacs and probably never will but I can/have be/been fit and learnt to do stuff that increased fitness allows- I’ve had no choice on the beta. The extra weight forces you to use the bike and not muscle.

You can practice technical riding in a fairly small area, just lots of repetition. Long hours on the bike is harder to do. 3 hour races are far to short and intense. A days time card arguably to ploddy. This means unless you are lucky enough to find a giant riding venue you can ride for hours and hours at, you need to just dig deep and keep going, ride at 70% of your max. Each step takes you further to where your going. Just keep taking steps!!!

Fitness. Cardio. It’s by far the biggest thing. If you can increase this then your body can keep up. No point having stronger/bigger muscles if the thing keeping them supplied isn’t good enough, they will just expose the lack of cardio fitness faster. Spin is a great one for training this and doesn’t wreck you. Once the cardio fitness is there, the next steps come far easier. Running is good for base fitness. If you can do 6 miles in an hour you then have some base fitness with which to work from. That’s not fast. 10 minute miles.

I have no doubt you can do this. You just need to start that ball rolling.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts