KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please guys, new to green laning on my ktm 400 exc and struggling to work out how to plan routes. I have joined the TRF to get some info on the maps but don't mean much to me!!

Any advice on best devices, apps and how to do it would be great. I'm I'm south Devon if anyone has local knowledge.

馃憤馃憤

Registered
I use Memory map. Find the green lanes then plot your route out this is warks lanes linked by roads to make a full route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I'm in S Devon myself, there are alot of lanes to be had here, altho many are short, over ridden or not particularly interesting. Plus the road work is inescapable. In some places you can emerge from one lane and turn straight into the next, equally you might do 50yards off tarmac, followed by 2 miles of road to the next byway. It kept me entertained for a good 6 or 7 years. Got a bit bored of riding the same routes, havent bothered with it much lately.

The Devon trf will supply its members with an overlay of all the legal lanes. As above, Memory Map uses OS maps and displays the lanes. I didn't have a gps when I started, so bought the relevant paper OS maps, sat down with a marker pen and plotted routes that way. I would also print sections from Memory Map, mark them up and take them with me. Not a particularly high tech approach, but you will learn your way around much better than just blindly following a line on a screen. You get to know what links up with what, and where things are in relation to each other.

Alternatively, there is a Facebook group called South West Trail Riders, they have downloadable routes available so you can follow someone else's route.

Registered
Devon TRF also have a map marking service for members, if you want to learn the lanes it is (as Monty said) easier off paper maps as you get to know an area rather than a route. GPS is also good so that you can check where you are if lost, we use Memory Map on pc for planning and Ulefone android phones with Oziexplorer on the bikes but always carry a paper map if going to a new area.

Administrator
Go for an organised ride with your local TRF group, they will show you, the routes.

If you're new to green laning, best not ride alone for safety, at least at first.

Registered
I use the byways map that's available on line, it might be out of date so you need to check that the lines are still open to vehicles, also the map has annoying links to adverts so zoom into the area that you are interested in, don't click on the area because it will open up an advert....

Registered
If you have joined the trf you will get access to the new green road map which shows byways but you will still need to check for tro lanes....don't know when your local trf meeting is but get yourself there and I'm sure people can point you in the right direction

Registered
The TET route in South Devon is worth following , free download from the TET website. Loads of good lanes in Devon get on the Devon TRF forum

Registered
I use the outdooractive app on my iphone mounted with a qualock case and mount, works great. There are loads of routes you can search for and download locally if you pay for the 拢30 annual membership. Nice and easy to navigate lrealtime with the maps and routes.

I did also purchase SATMAP as well which is the other option but you need to then import GPX routes which can be a big of a faff.

I agree on the TRF comments too, you can download their beginner routes per county from their site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts