KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a top box with these things in mind - 1) Locks well/is secure 2) Fits 2 helmets 3) Is fairly hard wearing 4) Will be comfortable as a back rest for my girlfriend 5) looks as good as a top box can - I've got touratec panniers so to fit in with those would be good, but not necessary.

I've been looking at a couple of Givi's - the v56 and trekker 52, but both look like the locking mechanism is pretty weak - it seems to just be a plastic latch. If anyone has experience with those then are the locks weak?

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have the Givi Trekker 52litre one in black and silver. Takes 2 full face lids, backrest is fine for pillions and you can take it from bike to bike if you have a suitable plate. Not had any problems in 3 years and 40k miles. Lock can get a bit stiff to turn but some graphite spray sorts it. Miles better than the crappy KTM breadbin.

You can get a metal frame to go on the top for bungeeing things to.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Got an old Givi plastic box on the Mrs TDM, I also use it on my V-Strom commuter, seems much better than the plastic looks suggest, never had an issue in several European tours and a lot of commuting miles.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I have a Givi Trekker 38L, great top box but only room for one lid. Lock is substantial

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys. So are you fairly happy leaving 2 lids (£500 odd quids worth) in there without feeling the plastic bit that stops you opening the box will be snapped off and stuff nicked? I do like the look of the the Trekker.

·
Administrator
3,880 Posts
Shoot me now....
God I hate top boxes. Note that I use a small one on my 1190, but I still hate them.
My only serious two cents is that Givi plastic ones can be bust open with a screw driver in seconds. But I guess there are no aluminium ones that'll fit two lids... Unless you get a custom one from ArdCases in Cambridge?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Agree. The Givi top boxes are easy to break in to.

I have one here somewhere that came with a bike I bought years ago. I lost the keys, probably during a house move, and a couple of years ago wondered what was rattling around inside. I was in in seconds. It's easy to replace the lock, but costs over £60 for a new one, so it'll remain in the loft.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Forgot to mention the Mrs one survived her being rammed by a pissed tosspot at a roundabout, just a couple of scuffs.

Yep, security is probably very poor, then again it is not exactly hard to break most luggage, I have used SW Motech Trax in the past and reckon I could bust into those fairly easily. The Givi Trekker Outback I have now (KTM Branded Metal Boxes) look a bit stronger and might require thief being a bit brutal / noisy making them a better deterrent, but I doubt they would keep a committed thief happy to make some noise at bay for long.

You need to compare the security of a lid left hanging in full view on your handlebar to one hidden in a top box, I have commuted into towns and cities and left my £450 helmet in the top box hundreds of times, it was always there on my return - doubt it would be if left hanging off the mirror.

Secondly I try and avoid the sort of shit holes where it is likely the people wandering around will be looking to steal your stuff, as if they want it they will get it, when touring Europe I notice so many "locals" will leave their entire bike kit draped over the seat and wander off, I know a Hotel owner who leaves his key in his bike at all times - try that one in London or Glasgow.

I am not keen on the looks of a top box, I have yet to see one that improves the look of a bike, but they are amazingly handy things and if I wanted a bike to look at I would buy a Benelli Tornado and park it in my front room.

The 1190 is a bike to go places on and a top box is a fantastic addition for that purpose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the feedback. Last question then - I'm between the trekker 52 and the trekker outback 58. I'm leaning towards the outback. Anyone with experience of it on the 1190 find that it looks ridiculously big? Can't really find any pics of it on an 1190, but it looks massive! Does it look daft? Also, what mounting bracket is best to use? Does the SW Motech one allow a bigger weight load?

Ta

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
TBH no top box looks great, go for what works, or even have a couple of different sized one.

In the past I have leaned towards the SW Motech top box racks as they can take a variety of boxes with a swap of the (relatively) inexpensive mount bit that clips into the rack, on my last bike this gave me the option of my smaller metal box or the Mrs larger plastic one.

Another advantage with buying a really common model of box is there is a fair chance of finding second hand boxes at a later date, so maybe buy the biggest you need now as it will be rarer and then keep an eye out for a smaller used one for day to day use.

As for load, any weight in a top box is BAD, it is high up and behind the wheel spindles, the perfect place to ruin handling and do the most to upset suspension, I keep mine as light as possible, on tour nearly everything goes in the panniers, top box is for maps / spare gloves / spare visor and to store the Helmet / sat nav when I stop for lunch / to look around.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
The best top box is a peli case, or peli copy. But they're all wank, let's face it. And abox big enough to put two lids in? You need a car

·
Registered
126 Posts
Agree. The Givi top boxes are easy to break in to.

I have one here somewhere that came with a bike I bought years ago. I lost the keys, probably during a house move, and a couple of years ago wondered what was rattling around inside. I was in in seconds. It's easy to replace the lock, but costs over £60 for a new one, so it'll remain in the loft.
Do you just need the barrell and key? If so I have a set that I can send you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to update this thread - I ended up going with the Outback 58L and the Altrider luggage rack. I'm very happy with the quality of both items. Box easily fits 2 helmets, gloves and just about 1 jacket at a squeeze. Or 1 helmet, gloves, jacket, and a few other bits easily. Seems well made and the locking mechanism feels solid - feels like the touratech latches.

The Altrider rack is quality - big with lots of lashing points for when I take soft luggage. Feels very solid.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Do you just need the barrell and key? If so I have a set that I can send you.
Thanks. Just spotted this. That's a very kind offer, but to be honest it's never going to get used again. And the locks seem to be model specific too. So thanks, but I suspect it'll become quite a bit of bother for you (I'm in Sweden too).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts