KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So jus bought a 2018 450 exc off my freind who kept it outside and all the bolts ect have rusted and the frame in parts it looks bad whats the easiest and best way to have this sorted ie painted or powdercoated amean a would like it powered but does that not mean i need to get all the bearings out ect with the heat use to powder thanks

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yep - if you leave any bearing in, the grease/oil will heat up and run out...a powdercoater will normally do it (powdercoat) with bearings in but wont guarantee the coating. Just for the record powder coat IMO is the best way, but find a coater that will do a 2 coat job....mine had a weatherproof undercoat with the actual colour on top. Owned mine for 4 years and it was perfect when i sold it....one of the lads on here now has it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the heat ruin the bearings mate or is it just the fact likw u say the stuff will run out

·
Registered
608 Posts
Will the heat ruin the bearings mate or is it just the fact likw u say the stuff will run out
If the bike is so bad neglected stored outside, will the bearings not need replacing anyway? Water causes as much damage as wear due to use. Strip it out completely and powder coat, with new bearings and seals. Good as new then 👍

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yep - agreed - the other thing is the seals will probably also melt.....do it right, strip the thing down and get it done right - improve the resale value also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Make sure you use a powder coating firm that understand VIN numbers, the vin ends up lost most of the time, if you're lucky it's very faintly visible.. Make sure they atleast mask the area.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the bike is so bad neglected stored outside, will the bearings not need replacing anyway? Water causes as much damage as wear due to use. Strip it out completely and powder coat, with new bearings and seals. Good as new then 👍
Yea amean h3 had it covered with a sheet but its the frost and moisture got everything shame he boughy it brandnew aswell its harleys got any houra on im just worried i dont have the tools to take the bearing out the frame thats all mate such as the steering stem ?thanka lads

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Strip the fame down as far as you can then drop it off at a bike shop... They'll make light work of it... Or... Buy the tools... Box of drifts costs less than 30 quid...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
The steering stem bearings are on the stem and the top bearing will just lift out, so no steering bearings in the frame. Swing arm and pds bearings are in the swing arm and wheel bearings are in the wheels ........ so no frame bearings to take out ..........

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that mate a didnt realise ive never too
Strip the fame down as far as you can then drop it off at a bike shop... They'll make light work of it... Or... Buy the tools... Box of drifts costs less than 30 quid...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
whats drifts mate sorry?
k a bike down to the frame 😄

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Just leave the steering bearing cups in place. I put old bolts into all the threaded parts and had it coated like that so I wouldn't have to re-thread them all. I did however forget to cover the frame number! I opted for a base colour and a tough clear powder coat on top with a bit of flake in it. Plenty of pics and how to tips on my several 450 builds on my website .

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a drift set....use it to knock bearings out and re seat bearings - this is the set ive got - used them on my dads 400/4 frame and swing arm - used them on my z1000 when i got the swing arm reconditioned.

Looks like a good set mate so is that for installation of bearings only ive just looked at the sliding hammer set is tht what i nees for removing and this to install

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Looks like a good set mate so is that for installation of bearings only ive just looked at the sliding hammer set is tht what i nees for removing and this to install
You have no bearings to do on your frame ........

If it were me, doing other bearings in chassis, l would knock/drift out then fit bearings with thread bar / socket / washer etc technique after heating housing and freezing bearings etc ...... loads of info on youtube for different ways.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have no bearings to do on your frame ........

If it were me, doing other bearings in chassis, l would knock/drift out then fit bearings with thread bar / socket / washer etc technique after heating housing and freezing bearings etc ...... loads of info on youtube for different ways.
Ah thanks for that mate understand now

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you lads think it would be ok if i changed the black frame to the ktm orange ral2009? Athink it is or is there a good chance it will go bad quickly as sure a seen somewere on here the orange frames tend to go crappy once powedered but doesnt that depend on the job quality also would i need to state change on log book of anything thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
I cant offer any advice on how a custom/paint shop etc orange powder coat 'weathers', but as you say, it will be down to whoever does it, so go on recomendations if possible.

What l can say is that my orange framed adventure still looks good and hasn't faded or gone milky like red can due to u.v

It does show the dirt more though.

As its not main colour on bike, no need to change logbook. The main colour is considered to be the plastics.

Orange with a bit of flake (l think that was the effect) - like the old 990 superduke - would look good imo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts