KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all

Just picked up my new black RC8 today :D (3km on clock!) and just had to take it for a quick spin. Before going on about the usual new bike vs old bike comparison (have had GSXR1000,ZX12,R1,950SM,CBRXX etc) i wanted to know if anyone can help with the following-

When placing the lock on the rear wheel in my garage i noticed i had bent my numberplate (they use thin metal number plates here) and throughout my 150 km ride i only noticed 2 very sharp big bumps (tarmac ridges where old tarmac met new tarmac).

As i weigh 125 kg and am 6 foot 3 (bike fits fine by the way) i was checking the book and it gives sag and preload figures for the average 75-85 kg rider. Has anyone here set their preload to the 8mm suggested in the book (up from standard 6mm) and if so does it give the recommended sag of approx 25-30% suspension travel if you are above average weight?

I am also interested to know if anyone has adjusted the suspension to give the right sag figures irrespective of the figures suggested by KTM?

(ie KTM suggests 6mm for solo rider and 8mm for rider and pax - i think i count as rider + pax :D )

Not sure how far the ideal spring rate for my weight is from those supplied on the bike although i remember reading it was sprung harder than the usual jap stuff.

As regards first impressions -

mushy clutch, hard seat, loads of heat on legs , crap running under 3000 rpm, horrible matt finish on tank, vs
fabulous brakes (lovely hissing noise), compliant high quality suspension feel, engine and exhaust noise (tunnels :eek:) , riding position, overall bike handling
AND

YES I'M IN LOVE

·
Registered
139 Posts
Brother welcome to the club. I just take mine to the suspension guy. I weigh more than you (275 lbs) and all I know is this is the first bike I've owned where I didn't have to order stiffer springs. I use it exclusively for riding at the track and I am really happy with it. I do remember the suspension guy mentioning that the book was actually a very good guide for the KTM and he thought the suspension was really good on these bikes. I have the R version, for whatever its worth, in case they have different suspension. I don't know, I just ride it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh, and if you get a SAS removal kit and bypass the o2 sensors the crap running at low RPM will be cured. It is a really horrible problem stock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I was just a bit surprised at the bent numberplate so thought i might be bottoming out the suspension. I always get round to adjusting the sag as being above average weight its always been a problem with jap bikes that tend to be sprung for sub 75kg.
When i get some time (just want to ride it a bit first!) i will get a mate to take some measurements and i will start adjusting the front and back.

PS ref the 02 sensors my GSXR1000K8 had a similar problem with surging when trying to run between 3000-4000rpm at a steady throttle. The consensus was the 02 sensor was trying to lean out the mixture for emissions. The fix was just leaving the sensor powered (otherwise it gave a error) but cutting the wire giving the reading. With no reading no adjustment was made and the bike ran fine. Can something similar be done with the RC8?

I need to get up to date with RC8 issues as i was going to get a Superduke and got sucked in to the RC8 after actually sitting on one and seeing it in the flesh. Was a bit tired of sportsbikes due to tight fit and neck strain but RC8 is big improvement fit wise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgive last post. Just had a quick look and found the 02 eliminators from dynojet. I suppose you just fit these and leave the original connectors taped up?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oh, and if you get a SAS removal kit and bypass the o2 sensors the crap running at low RPM will be cured. It is a really horrible problem stock.
Can you do the SAS mod and fit O2 sensors without having to buy a new exhaust or PC3? Would like to do these two mods, but don't have PC3 as yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Forgive last post. Just had a quick look and found the 02 eliminators from dynojet. I suppose you just fit these and leave the original connectors taped up?
Yes I used the dynojet o2 eliminators. They recommend just taping up the original o2 connectors but I made some plugs. You can buy the plugs various places as well. Its basically just an M18 1.5 pitch bolt cut short.

Skollie, yes, you can do this with stock pipes and no PCIII. I did exactly that before I got my pipe put on it. After the pipe install, all I had to do was have my dealer re-flash the ECU. I have the PCIII but I haven't even hooked it up and probably won't since the bike is running so well. I'm doing power wheelies in third gear at the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts