KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eyup lads! In the market for a new satnav. Originally I was going for the Montana 700i with the built in in-reach and I’d use it for hiking as well. Seen some threads regarding the Garmin XT, got some great reviews, so may keep the old Montana and go for the XT. Has anyone got this model and can share some reviews info/mounting options?

cheers
Gav

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I use a Garmin Zumo XT, very good for what I need but the two hour updates every time you plug it in pisses me off

Reactions: DG

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the pin and got one, first impressions, very impressed. Compared to my Montana 600 it’s like night and day. Maps and firmware update only took a few minutes over the wifi!! Wifi on a satnav, hooked it up to a couple of apps, it’s the bomb! And the live traffic updates with access to the road traffic cameras on the motorways! 😳😳😳 unbelievable Geoff! Right piece of kit. Love how it came with all the mounts included, hard wired in and mounted on the SW-Motech mount no problems.

·
Registered
ktm1090 Adventure
21 Posts
Think yourself lucky , Garmin are less than perfect for updates , last week 3 hours into an "alleged 2 hour" update Garmins servers crashed.

Every time I update a Garmin sat nav it takes at least twice the quoted time

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
We have a 340 and 345 - both ok, probe to some silly route decisions so I always display the track.

Updates normally faster than quoted.

Better phone integration would be nice, but I can start / stop / pause music and make calls from phones contact list....
...but cannot update Facebook or text 🙄

·
Registered
184 Posts
Pulled the pin and got one, first impressions, very impressed. Compared to my Montana 600 it’s like night and day. Maps and firmware update only took a few minutes over the wifi!! Wifi on a satnav, hooked it up to a couple of apps, it’s the bomb! And the live traffic updates with access to the road traffic cameras on the motorways! 😳😳😳 unbelievable Geoff! Right piece of kit. Love how it came with all the mounts included, hard wired in and mounted on the SW-Motech mount no problems.
Stumbled across this by accident, 'What 3 Words' works great in conjunction with the XT & the Garmin Drive App.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone know if you can get the My Route App on the laptop? I’m doing a charity cycle from Edinburgh to Leeds in August on the gravel bike and looks like it could be a decent way to plan the ride.
You could just use the web version on a laptop
Easier than on a phone too.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Based on my experience of my Montana 650 I don't think I'd buy another Montana.
The screen on my 650 is awesome in direct sunlight, which is the main reason I bought it, but it's the map freezing that pisses me off.

Seems to happen semi randomly, and especially when you're leading a ride!
What I noticed last weekend is that it tends to happen at the same places, so is likely a map issue (tried various maps).
Either-way, the internet is full of reports of this happening to other owners, and it seems the new Montana also suffers from this.
I now run my Montana without the internal battery so I can at least power cycle it (to un-freeze it) without haven't to stop and pull the battery out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts