KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
i just picked up my new 690 smc yesterday and i was wondering which pipe to get, i love the look and size of the sc-project pipe and the price is just as sweet... but is there a difference compared to the akra? (power wise) and would i need to get it re-mapped and which map would i need?
and to all those that have the sc-project pipe.... whats the sound like compared to the akras too?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone???? i mean is there no one that has a 690cc fi bike with the sc-project zorst??

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The 690 has an interesting history in terms of getting the mapping and fi set up to complement each other and the standard OEM or factory approved Akros.

Officail KTM maps were developed for the OEM system and Akros - there have been a number of iterations since launch to 'cure' a number of widely reported issues.

If you fit another type of exhaust you are potentially sailing into uncharted waters at your own risk. Some folk have fitted other exhaust systems with mixed results - ranging from pure delight to frustration

Welcome to being a forum guinea pig!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhh nuts.... why is nothing ever that simple haha! oh well im thinking ill get the sc-project and the akro mapping and just see how it goes from there
do you think that the tune boy or the sc-project tuner thing would be a good investment too?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Akro on my 690 and it Rocks , The SC looks the stuff and they seem to have the race bred experience . try the FMF apex too . it also looks the shit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't miss this little trick . De-restrict your 2nd and 3rd gears by following the link BlakeBlog: KTM 690 Enduro FAQ
It is really simple and will make 2nd and 3rd better top to bottom . I think it is explained in the link but the only reason they are restricted is cos of american emission and noise levels , so don't worry about screwing something up .enjoy the bike , you made the best choice .

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is interesting as i am about to buy a 2010 SMC and prefer the SC-Project over Akra's. Where are you buying the SC Project kit from, is it in the UK. I would of thought that if you buy the SC pipe and the MEMJET power unit for the 690SMC you should not need to do any other mapping on the bike. Is this not right?

Just read the blog on removing the 2nd and 3rd gear restriction, is that something that others have done on this forum. Do you think it will be the same colour wires for the UK and european models, i dont want to disconnect something and it all go a bit pear shaped :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The sc guys should be able to tell you about what to do with regards to the mapping .
As far as the de-restricting mod go's . There are only 3 wires coming out of that side . 1 is the neutral light wire . the other two are the 2nd and 3rd gear wires . so if you lose the neutral light then you have disconnected the wrong wire .plug it back in and remove the other two . it's that simple . I am in South Africa so I'm sure i have a european model and the colour of the wires matched the instructions , so you should have no problems

·
Registered
446 Posts
The sc guys should be able to tell you about what to do with regards to the mapping .
As far as the de-restricting mod go's . There are only 3 wires coming out of that side . 1 is the neutral light wire . the other two are the 2nd and 3rd gear wires . so if you lose the neutral light then you have disconnected the wrong wire .plug it back in and remove the other two . it's that simple . I am in South Africa so I'm sure i have a european model and the colour of the wires matched the instructions , so you should have no problems
Thanks mate, i will email SC and see what they say. Although they are Italian so i expect a reply within about 3 months, they are more relaxed than the Spanish

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Might be worth reading some of KTMax's old postings - he had some interesting experiences! Come to think of it ...... he hasn't been around this forum for a while ..................

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I posted that thread on SMJ.Im seriously considering waiting for a few more months and going for a 2010 690smc.Some dealers are selling them for below £5k!!Some folks are asking for £5k for an 08 smc which is crazy!!(sorry resti!)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Akro on my 690 and it Rocks , The SC looks the stuff and they seem to have the race bred experience . try the FMF apex too . it also looks the shit
i really like the look of this too.. but the only thing that stops me is that it doesnt sit very neatly and its still a little long for the bike :-/

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't miss this little trick . De-restrict your 2nd and 3rd gears by following the link BlakeBlog: KTM 690 Enduro FAQ
It is really simple and will make 2nd and 3rd better top to bottom . I think it is explained in the link but the only reason they are restricted is cos of american emission and noise levels , so don't worry about screwing something up .enjoy the bike , you made the best choice .
ive heard of this little trick... have you done it yourself and does it make a big difference with the smc against the enduro?...
and i think ill be emailing sc-project guys also, i just feel thats the best looking pipe and that they cant be far off the mark with the racing pedigree they have

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have done it to my bike . There is no difference between the enduro and smc in the motor department , only the final drive gearing .The mod makes a difference to the two gears . 2nd gear gives you a little more at the top of the rev range so you can hold it open a little longer before changing up . there is no bouncing on the limiter now so your top rev is smoother. It wheelies llike never before now .If you feel you don't like it you can plug the cables back in without leaving any signs that they were ever unplugged . Did you check the wave exhaust ? it seems to be a copy of the Akro . I've not read much about it's performance from users though .At the end of the day if it's performance you want the Akro is the choice hands down . if it's looks you want then that's your personal choice , if you are limited by budget then the Akro is a serious problem . Bear in mind that the stock header is as good as you will find and need not be changed . It is the largest Diameter available and all the bends are smooth and even ,and nothing improves on it , so don't bother changing it .
Her's a couple of pics of my enduro R and how it looks at present . I am busy putting the wheels on as we speak and then I found this motard pic on a forum that some guy did in photoshop , Its going to end up looking like this . Then there's a pic of my stable , the 350 is an awesome machine

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow dude i gotta say that your enduro is gonna look sick when its all tarded up!! i want my wheels to look like that.. but white and black lol im looking forward to seeing the finished product :)
and in regards to the pipe im going more with looks and sound rather than just out right power cos i have noticed that you dont get a "huge" gain with any of the pipes.. they just save you about 6.936 tonnes and along with the remapping helps with the lean running of the bike and cost a varyingly different amount of monies and are all very close in performance
and im glad you told me about the header cos my next question was gonna be "can you pick and mix headers and slip-ons?" haha

·
Registered
446 Posts
I posted that thread on SMJ.Im seriously considering waiting for a few more months and going for a 2010 690smc.Some dealers are selling them for below £5k!!Some folks are asking for £5k for an 08 smc which is crazy!!(sorry resti!)
Plenty of 2010 models are available now at less than 5k with only a few hundred miles on them (probably ex demo bikes) from dealers, KTM are selling ex vat at present so this may hold the price down a little until Oct 9th but even when they were selling the 2010 bikes new at £5995 a month back on the last deal the residuals still stayed high for 08/09 bikes.

After the Oct 9th deal is gone i think KTM will launch a new deal as the 2011 bikes will be on there way so 2010 colours will be getting sold off probably around the 6k mark again.

I cant decide now if i want an 09 Orange bike or the 10 white bike.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
hows this for looks . As far as the pipes go . once I popped the slip on on ,the performance picked up considerably .you might not get much extra horsepower but the power hits harder and builds quicker and smoother . there's no comparison between stock and aftermarket.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have had a sc project pipe on my tmax scooter 2 years now, very nice it is too, my bikes all tuned up but with it being rare to tune a maxi scoot in the uk, nobody knew shit, my power commander came from the us with no map and i had a twat of a job gettin it dynoed as it hadnt been done, eventually i contacted sc project website and found my bike with a list of downloadable maps, with or without filters or baffles etc, and downloaded it to my pc3, its pretty much spot on now and they contact ya next day, good company and very helpfull!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hows this for looks . As far as the pipes go . once I popped the slip on on ,the performance picked up considerably .you might not get much extra horsepower but the power hits harder and builds quicker and smoother . there's no comparison between stock and aftermarket.
holy crap that looks SWEET!!!! i love the wheels on it, shame my duke is 6000 miles away or it would be on bricks by now haha
and thanks for all the info dude, im defo getting a after market pipe onow and im gonna go for the sc-project as i just cant get over the looks and sound of it.

and bikerdezzie..... thanks for that info too... im gonna send them an email now ans see what they can tell me with what i can do with the mapping.... do they have the list on there website and did you get the
sc-project power commander??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts