KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tail of wo and a warning.................

I know a number have already fitter the 'standard' KTM Scottoiler so you may / may not have experienced the same situation as I did a couple of days ago.

All was well and good, the instructions (and sub-instructions) were simple enough to follow and we were doing well. Then it got to the fitment of the vacuum spigot, a fiddly thing to fit considering the access to the rear throttle body (on the right hand side) is not ideal. It was a question of balancing the brass spigot in a socket on the end of a screwdriver head. First thing, the brass washer supplied is fractionally too big so out it comes and the OEM copper washer goes on. With the spigot back in its time to tighten it up, instructions say 'tighten securely' so away we go, remember using a screwdriver, and the next thing we know is the vacuum spigot / hex head are still in the socket but not the thread!

There started a bitch of a job to get the thread out of the throttle body as in that state the bike is 100% u/s. First the tank and air box have to come off as you have to prevent any swarf getting down into the valves. Then the throttle body has to be packed with oil soaked rag (to retain swarf). The next job is to enlarge the hole in the broken thread, not easy when you can't get a drill chuck in the gap. Once hole enlarged try to get an 'ezey out' on it, failure given that you cannot get anything on the square drive, of the ezey out, to turn it, tried 'V' slot wire strippers but could not turn it in line thus it just stripped out. Eventually got it out using a tool that had a mandrill on one end that got it but blood sweat and hours went on it. Managed to prevent any kind of swarf going into the throttle body by having half -three quarter piece of plastic tube poked down the remote hose of a Dyson and had it sucking the whole time I was drilling and buggering around with the fitting (also went round the valve seats at the bottom of the trottle bodies to be on the safe side).

Called Scottoiler, very helpful people and are in the process of sending me a replacement part which is good given that a fitting that size is impossible to source locally, I have tried. Did mention I thought the fitting was a bit of a weak spot and the fact that the washer was too big, they said they would look into it.

Moral of the story - be bloody careful putting that spigot it, it takes no torque at all to break and don't put thread sealant on the fitting as it quadruples the difficulty of taking the broken bit out and could be a pain if a non-broken one has to be removed, for one reason or another.

·
Registered
73 Posts
funny that.....
same happened to me - brass spigot snapped off just above the tread when i gentle tightened it up
fortunantly i managed to tap in a small flat blade screwdrived and unscrew it.
scottoiler did replace item free of charge and i was VERY careful nx time....

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
KTMs with Scottoilers??? You'll be fitting heated grips and topboxes next. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I fitted the "Universal Scottoiler" to my SMT no issues other than dropping the vacuum pipe fitting into the V of the cylinders - a real bitch to get it out :eek: :eek:
The copper washer is much too big, so what I did was leave it off and cover the vacuum pipe fitting thread with some high temp Loctite instant gasket to seal it.

But I suppose your problem takes the issue of "tighten until it strips then half a turn back" to new limits :p :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, see your point, I did much the same as you, I used Loctite hugh temp / high pressure thread sealant, added to which the engine was warm, and that was the reason I couldn't get the thread out with a long necked sharpened cross-head screwdriver. If I had not had the thread sealant on there I think it would have come out without stripping half the bike and the deposit a a good quantity of blood in hard to get at locations.

There is an up side to all this........ Only got the SMT last August and work away a lot so little time to get to know the guts of the bike. With this happening I am at least getting up to speed with how to take the bugger apart which, when you concider the bike is moving house to a place (non UK) with, currently, no KTM dealer. Given this situation, if it goes pear shaped I either fix it myself or trust it to someone who's bike experience is fixing holiday hire quad bikes, this is one of the reasons the 1200GS and prospective Multistrada went out the window, too many electrics........

Wrong thread I know but does anyone know of a more up to date DVD repair manual? The one I have just got is a 2003-2008 vintage for all 950/990 bikes, in addition it does not have a lot on the electrics (yeah I know there is'nt a lot) and that info would be handy.

All in all, love the bike, a lot different to the Sprint RS and will be ideally suited for the roads it's going to (the RS most deffinatly not) - pot hole's???? a lot of people in the UK don't know what a proper pot hole is, and won't until you loose a front wheel down one, having just avoided the Smart car size hole behind it!

Oh the joys of motorcycling........................

·
Registered
9 Posts
Noted guys, apologies for the inconvenience. We've revised the KTM kit contents getting rid of that large washer and recommending re-using the existing washer.

On a lot of the KTM's the vacuum location is accessible but not quite straight on as you're working around frame members etc so take extra care to get the spigot thread is aligned before tightening up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to Scottoiler first for the prompt dispatch of the replacement part but also for actually taking on-board experience information and doing something about it. It makes a pleasant change to make a genuine comment and someone actually take it on-board.

All working fine now after the bikes 1500 mile rapid jaunt to Greece

1 - 7 of 7 Posts