KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

I've got a KTM RC125, and when I was unscrewing the bolts for the mirrors, one of the screws snapped in place.

I was wondering if this would be something that would be covered under warranty as this is the first time I've unscrewed that bolt so the manufacturing fault could either be on the bolt itself or the fairing structure that the bolt is screwed into.

Bike is less than 6 months old.

Thanks,
Iwan

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
Ktm

corrode

never

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the same on the bolt that covers the front brake reservoir. I managed to tap it out using a fine centre punch. I had nasty visions of having to buy a whole new unit.

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like corrosion, being the bike is 6 month old and you don't have the tools to repair and replace yourself... I suspect your dealer will sort it out, out of good will. You broke the bolt, so no it wont be covered unless it was cross threaded when assembled.
Thanks for responding, will have to see what the garage say!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the same on the bolt that covers the front brake reservoir. I managed to tap it out using a fine centre punch. I had nasty visions of having to buy a whole new unit.

Yup - pretty much what I'm worried about as well.. The front fairing I'd need is around £75 and then it's either me doing it and snapping more screws or the dealership.. who will charge even more for labor!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unusual for a bolt to shear when undoing it. It must be stuck for some reason maybe corroded. Try tapping it out with a fine centre punch. Tap to the side in an anticlockwise position and if it isn't too stuck it should come out. I don't think you'll do any more damage than has been done so far already.

·
Premium Member
31,489 Posts
The 125 is a learner bike.

It's designed to teach you stuff about riding and maintaining, so it's deliberately shit.

By the time you get a real bike you will have learned not to put the front brake on hard on the gravel covered bit at junctions, discovered that a sunny day in January is not actually warm when riding along at speed..... and understood the feel of when a screw is going to break instead of inscrew.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi Forum,

I've got a KTM RC125, and when I was unscrewing the bolts for the mirrors, one of the screws snapped in place.

I was wondering if this would be something that would be covered under warranty as this is the first time I've unscrewed that bolt so the manufacturing fault could either be on the bolt itself or the fairing structure that the bolt is screwed into.

Bike is less than 6 months old.

Thanks,
Iwan
I've seen the base of the mirror snap before now when the bolt was being unscrewed :eek:

Speak to your dealer and ask them to submit a warranty claim ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Nowt racist about it. The parts that come from India really do stink heavily of curry. Next time you're in a dealer ask the guys in the parts or service departments

On the subject of the mirror. KTM accepted the warranty claim and the dealer fitted a replacement part FOC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen the base of the mirror snap before now when the bolt was being unscrewed :eek:

Speak to your dealer and ask them to submit a warranty claim ;)
Went to dealership and got it fixed for £15 (20 minutes labor). They had to use a drill to get it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts