KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody.

I'm looking to sell my VFR and 749 and just have one bike. I like the reviews of the SD and SM 950/990 but apart from the riding position I can't really understand the difference.

I used to have a Multistrada that I really liked even if it was a bit underpowered, a lot unreliable, and had poor low speed fuelling. My ideal KTM looks like the SMT but I can't spend the £8k that even used ones cost. I use my bikes for commuting (often by motorway) and need to carry luggage; my VFR has a 46l top box which is dead ugly but dead useful though I could manage with less capacity.

The Tuono/SD thread was very interesting as I had looked at Tuonos.

Can you help?

·
Registered
293 Posts
The SMs will be a little more top-box and luggage friendly (although you can still get luggage on a SD before I get flamed) and a little more "all round". The SD is slightly sportier.

In terms of choosing between the two, demo demo demo. You really can't go wrong with either, the SD owners will tell you their bikes are better, the SM owners will tell you theirs!! Me, I have an SMT (which is obviously best!!) and use it for commuting, playing at the weekend as well as some touring and the odd track-day. If you think an SMT is the bike for you, try either a 950 or 990 SM (that's a whole different debate as to which is best!). Buy which ever SM you prefer then add the accessory screen and seat. Voila - SMT on a budget!!

As you're new here, you'll need to get the drinks in - mine's a Guiness!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used to have a 950SM (swapped it for a 1050 Tiger...ahem...stupid pr*ck!) and now have an SD. I find the two quite different. SM is a great town/commuter bike, loads of fun at legal speeds and a real urban hoons bike. Furlongs nigh on perfect too. SD is quicker and more focussed, more like a sports bike with renthals. I prefer the SD, prefer the look, riding position, how focussed it is, power etc but do miss the SM in the city and in the really twisty stuff (SD is a bit anarchy in town but you get used to it). It's still by far the best bike I've ridden and I wouldn't swap it for anything. Go test em Greenman!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sm-sd

I used to have a 950 SM for 3 years, and 6 months ago I traded it for a new 990 SD.

To me they are like chalk and cheese. I loved the SM to bits, and it was great it town - smaller turning circle for squeezing between vehicles, longer suspension for nipping up kerbs, less manic engine so nicer at slower speeds and on/off throttle.

But the SD is the real deal - feels way more sporty, planted, stable in corners and easier to get more lean, awesome engine that just has you grinning ear to ear every single ride even just down to the shops but sadly has you breaking the law at almost every tiny gap in the traffic. The best bike I have ever ridden or can imagine riding (and I used to have a Fireblade). And with the Akros baffles out it wakes the neighbours half a mile away when I start it and causes cars to pull over out of the way from 100 yards.

So really do test drive test drive test drive.

And try out a SD-R - the noise from the airbox as your approach the redline just has to be heard to be believed.

Cheers
TB.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had a 950SM and I have a 990SD (doing more track days)

I love both and can see me getting a SM as well as my SD (they seem similar but have different natures) From how you discribe what you want from the bike ...I would suggest an SM

Both have some of the best brakes I have ever used .....

Either will have you grinning like a loon on twisty roads....but the SM will do touring and the city thing (and still have you grinning while you do it) where as the SD truely comes alive on the open road (more bends the better) either will do crappy bumpy roads better than you will believe....(Try that on a Tuono....).....but with the SM you would not even think it was bumpy.............:eek:

Next question is it a 950SM or 990SM either is brilliant......this just depends how deep your pockets are.....(950 better throttle...990 bit more power)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
If I were in your shoes I'd be getting a SM, it'll be much better in town and through traffic than a SD, not that a SD is bad, just not as good as a SM :).

I test rode the 950 back to back with the 990 same route. 990 is the one to have if you can afford it.

( I then went and bought a superduke)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure you can't see the difference between a SD and a SM, Did you have a problem telling the VFR and 749 apart :confused:
Thanks, I can see the difference, but I can't tell how the two ride or what they are like to live with.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I dropped in to AMS today and the riding position on the SD felt ideal, though I think the SM might be more practical option. I feel a back to back test ride coming on.

BTW I used to have a Tiger 955 and tested a 1050 but didn't like the laid back riding position and although it was reasonably quick it didn't feel it (a bit like the VFR).

I bought the VFR from Premier Bikes and found them really good to deal with and their used stock was mostly in excellent condition.

AMS and Premier Bikes are about the same distance for me, equally inconvenient, any views on the two?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
If your after great low speed fuelling, then the FI KTM's are not the best................................

Don't ride slowly and their great!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just as a pricing reference .............

Went for a ride Sunday with a Guy who's just ordered a new 990 SMR from Leisure Trail for 8900

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Thanks guys. I dropped in to AMS today and the riding position on the SD felt ideal, though I think the SM might be more practical option. I feel a back to back test ride coming on.

BTW I used to have a Tiger 955 and tested a 1050 but didn't like the laid back riding position and although it was reasonably quick it didn't feel it (a bit like the VFR).

I bought the VFR from Premier Bikes and found them really good to deal with and their used stock was mostly in excellent condition.

AMS and Premier Bikes are about the same distance for me, equally inconvenient, any views on the two?
PRemier are close to me and have been brilliant. Soted out waranty issues for me even though buying the bike from somewhere else.

Always friendly, good bunch of guys.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
AMS have a good reputation for aftersales and service work etc . A bloke at work had his 950 adv engine rebuilt by them and had no issues ...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all this guys. Looks like today's price for an SMT is £8,500 otr, which is an absolute bargain if you have the readies. Fuelling is important; after the poor fuelling of my VFR and Multistrada I would like the smooth throttle response of the Tiger I test rode- but didn't like due to riding position and surfeit of blandness- a bit like the VFR then.

A well sorted SM950 with accessories to bring it up to SMT spec sounds the ideal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PRemier are close to me and have been brilliant. Soted out waranty issues for me even though buying the bike from somewhere else.

Always friendly, good bunch of guys.
I bought the VFR from Premier and they were good to deal with. Chatting to others around on the day they were repeat customers.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Thanks for all this guys. Looks like today's price for an SMT is £8,500 otr, which is an absolute bargain if you have the readies. Fuelling is important; after the poor fuelling of my VFR and Multistrada I would like the smooth throttle response of the Tiger I test rode- but didn't like due to riding position and surfeit of blandness- a bit like the VFR then.

A well sorted SM950 with accessories to bring it up to SMT spec sounds the ideal.
6k ish for a 09smr. with that much money left over you could fully tart it up. definately wont be bland :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had a 950SM for 2 and a half years, loved it, then when it got pinched I got an SD which I've now had for 9 months and I love that as well :D

As others have rightly stated, a test ride is really the only way you'll decide this.

My opinion is that the plusher suspension and more comfortable riding position on the SM would better suit the usage you described in your first post. I found that I could ride the SM on almost any road, not noticing the bumps and finish all but the longest trips still fresh as a daisy.

The SD is definitely sportier, more potential for track antics (although the SM will also do track, especially if you can ride corners).

If you do get an SM, I would go 950 for the carbs - I found the switchover to the SD was marred by the snatchiness of the throttle. It does get better as the engine wears and you can throw money at it (G2 cam, PC III etc) to solve it, but the 950 was smooth out of the crate. That said, perhaps you would prefer to have the extra power and put up with the throttle - back round to test ride again :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Its worth noting that the 950 SM has a 17 litre tank and the 950 SMR has 15 litre..........it does not sound much different....but they do drink

1 - 19 of 19 Posts