KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone do to secure their bikes overnight if you touring around and staying in hotels or guest houses?

Do you just stick it the car park and hope for the best?

·
Registered
795 Posts
In Spain about every hotel has secure parking. The odd occasion I have to park outside I have asked about leaving it in view of reception and have been lucky to do so. I always travel with a cheap lightweight cover which hides the bike. Guest houses usually have somewhere to hide it....I think its a case of finding the right place. I stayed at a Formula One once and I parked it outside my ground floor window with a piece of string tied to a can in my room.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
Only stay at places where you can get the bike off the road / out of sight. Last summers frunge to france/belgium/holland was with air b n b every night so easy to ask before booking. Every night the bikes were either in a concealed yard, in a barn or in a garage. We were as rural as possible though. A disc alarm for each end and the steering lock.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Luma Solid chain and lock with a 16mm Oxford Mini D shackle. Never had it tested but good for visual deterrent and hopefully move onto the next.

edit. Corrected make

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Disk lock without alarm.
Mostly campsites but occasionally at hotels, always rural or small town, never cities.

For this year I plan to get an alarm disk lock.
The bike cover sounds like a good plan. Last year in Ireland my bike got rained on heavily for several of the nights and the left hand switch gear start to misbehave a little.

I always travel with a cheap lightweight cover which hides the bike.
Do you have a link to what sort of cover you use please?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use a sturdy chain, linked through another bikes chain, a disc lock, tracker and a bike cover. Even so, I saved my bike from being taken by the skin of my teeth last year at midnight in Leicester

·
Administrator
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lumo Solid chain and lock with a 16mm Oxford Mini D shackle. Never had it tested but good for visual deterrent and hopefully move onto the next.
heavy to carry with you?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it's not a thick heavy chain like an Almax and the lock can double up as a disc lock When not securing the chain. I’ve had it for years but was replaced by an Almax chain, which is way too heavy for carry around

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They don’t do my chain and lock now but I’d go for a couple of D shackles and a noose chain

i have the same D shackle and it can be used on front disc or rear sprocket. If you're travelling with another rider you can use a noose chain to lock the two bikes together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Luma Solid chain and lock with a 16mm Oxford Mini D shackle. Never had it tested but good for visual deterrent and hopefully move onto the next.

edit. Corrected make
Park it in London im sure it will then be tested.

I just make contact with the local crime bosses and tell them I’ll be in town for a few days, never had any trouble . . .
They all fear and know what happens if your bike gets touched... anal penetration.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Big lock / chain can be awkward when travelling, I have a light cable lock, alarm front disc lock, depending on bike, disc lock on rear, and bike cover. All just deterrents but the cover is a big one for me, all takes time and that's all you can do, just try to slow them down.
Generally try to look for places with secure parking though. Have had to park on street / in open car parks at times but usually in small towns, not in big cities

·
Registered
795 Posts
Disk lock without alarm.
Mostly campsites but occasionally at hotels, always rural or small town, never cities.

For this year I plan to get an alarm disk lock.
The bike cover sounds like a good plan. Last year in Ireland my bike got rained on heavily for several of the nights and the left hand switch gear start to misbehave a little.

Do you have a link to what sort of cover you use please?
My covers so old you probably wouldn't find it now...lots of waterproof covers out there . Get a plain unbadged one though. It'll look like crap after a few uses and give the impression its covering something cheap as well. Mines really light and screws up into something about two fists sized.

I recently fitted a tracker from TracLogic. It wasn't silly money and will send a text in 10 seconds if the bike is knocked/moved. Connects to the bike battery but also has its own which will run for up to 3 months. You can drop it in the wifes handbag and watch her shopping if you really want.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Don't go to shit holes on your holiday ;-)

I have stayed in the Alps, Pyrenees, Black Forest, Ardennes, Luxembourg, Volcans and Cevennes, never had an issue, a mate has been taking groups of 20-40 riders to the Alps and beyond for over 20 years and never had a bike stolen.

I stayed in a small village in the Pyrenees where the locals left keys in the ignition of their cars overnight, a Hotel in Austria where the owner left the key in his GS and sat nav mounted all the time (so he always knew where it was) and a place I stay in the Black Forest the owner always thanks British bikers for securing his lamppost over night ;-)

In large towns and cities (particularly in transit across France / Belgium) I look for secure parking, but once in the sticks it really is not an issue for me, but the paranoia from coming on sites like this means I do take a small alarmed disc lock for a bit of peace of mind - as mine would then be the most difficult bike to steal within a 100 mile radius ;-)

In Austria I have seen a huge bike dealer that leaves bikes on the pavement outside the shop whilst closed overnight and on Sundays - this is in a town / city, different mindset of the locals, they don't see a nice bike and think "I could steal / burn / damage that"

Worry less / Ride more :)

·
Administrator
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the advice and replies. Later during the summer I will most likely be doing a bit of riding around the UK, visiting clients etc. A few overnight stays will be necessary and most likely not in great areas, so my immediate issue is keeping the bike safe in the UK. I suppose the only option is to book hotels in advance and ask if they have anywhere out of sight to park?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
What a state the world is now in.
In our bike travelling days back in the 70’s and 80’s in the UK and northern Europe we would just park anywhere, use the ‘quality’ Triumph steering lock and clutter off. Mostly the bike would have all our holiday gear on it as well.

The only scare we had was in Denmark when we parked in a town car park and stopped for a drink about a hundred yards down the road. A we sat there it looked like someone was a bit close to the bike so. As I was younger and fitter then, I ran down the road to find two BMW riders lifting my bike to one side as it was about to fall over, having sunk the centre stand into the warm tarmac and it was only the stand arm holding it up. Well, that's what they said......

·
Registered
243 Posts
I always try to book a hotel with parking and avoid parking on the street. I've just bought a Litelok as I'm fed up of lugging a lock and chain around Europe - as ever, its a deterrent. If they really want it, they'll get it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts