KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What a state the world is now in.
In our bike travelling days back in the 70’s and 80’s in the UK and northern Europe we would just park anywhere, use the ‘quality’ Triumph steering lock and clutter off. Mostly the bike would have all our holiday gear on it as well.
More the state of the UK, most of Europe it is still like this if you avoid commercial / industrial towns (Not normally on my itinerary)

In the Alps you see most the locals just park up, hang their £500 lid on the bars, thrown their £1,000 textile suits over the seat and wander off.

As well as shit-holes, I forgot to mention Motorway Services are probably a bit iffy as they attract thieving scum, never had a problem, but we tend to stay close to the bikes or lock everything away (I keep TB fairly empty so can thrown lid and sat-nav in there if we plan to sit inside services for food / drink, or if it is nice we eat / drink outside where we can see the bikes.

Touring the UK is something we don't do much, if we do then I make sure it is a nice area and there is at the very least a long drive way to a private car park where the bikes will not be in view of the road, and will be close to the reception area or our rooms. If in a town or city I would insist on a secure private car park and still chain the bike up.

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice and replies. Later during the summer I will most likely be doing a bit of riding around the UK, visiting clients etc. A few overnight stays will be necessary and most likely not in great areas, so my immediate issue is keeping the bike safe in the UK. I suppose the only option is to book hotels in advance and ask if they have anywhere out of sight to park?
Are you a prostitute now Adz ?

·
Administrator
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
😆😆 no, but I do need to visit Rotherham and thats a dangerous place

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
As has been mentioned just book hotels with secure parking, no chains etc.. It only takes some halfwit to hit your disc lock with a hammer before being scared off and your tour is ruined.

Reactions: BigDaddyAdz

·
Registered
61 Posts
have a look at the Roadlok

I fitted one to my RC8R as there's f*** all room under the seat

Very clever as the lock stays on the bike, all you need to do is carry the pin.

the KTM 'official' ones tend to be orange (of course) but I got a black one.

I'm sure it's not as good as chaining the bike to something but it's better than nothing.

PS but it won't be any use in Rotherham

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm just back from a weekend in Germany. Hotel had secure(ish) parking. I had a Roadlok on the front and took another disk lock for the rear.
My mate just picked up his brand new MV Brutale 1000 RR so additionally lugged a chain with him. A bit of a pain to do so.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Like Jimrbry, I have a Roadlok fitted - it certainly saved my bike, in conjunction with a Monimoto tracker, from being stolen after thieves cut through my chain and broke the steering lock in a hotel car park in Leicester.

·
Registered
159 Posts
An additional security measure is to put a decent padlock through the rear-wheel sprocket and chain.

You can smash a disc with a disclock fitted, and get the bike away...but smashing the sprocket and drive chain is rather more difficult.

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
An additional security measure is to put a decent padlock through the rear-wheel sprocket and chain.

You can smash a disc with a disclock fitted, and get the bike away...but smashing the sprocket and drive chain is rather more difficult.
I like that idea, a bit messy maybe, but far less messy than getting your bike nicked. Thanks for the idea.(y)

·
Registered
159 Posts
No prob...if you do it carefully and haven't coated your chain in goo it's not too messy.

I hang a padlock hung from the metal rail of the handguard of my 525 when riding, with the key in and secured with a length of string (orange of course!) when riding. Stopping for petrol, it's a one-handed job to stick the keyring through the sprocket having unhooked the key. The bike cannot be wheeled backwards or forwards more than a very short distance, and it's not easily apparent what's stopping it. I figure that before the scrote has worked out what's happening, I have time to be out of the shop and plant an Alpine Star in his rectum!

·
Premium Member
7,495 Posts
That l will be doing when l pop in to pay for fuel/drink (prob forget the first time and make a tit of myself trying to push the bike away from the pump to have a drink)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I carry a tiny alarmed disc lock which I keep in my Kriega tail pack (Small 5L jobbie) it takes hardly any space and weighs next to nothing, plus I have fitted an ignition key so it won't start on button, won't wheel away and will make a load of noise if touched - certainly buy me enough time to get out of a garage / pub in time to deal with a scrote trying it on...

...But when trail riding always with others so one guy can always stand with bikes when refueling, but if we go inside (Remember them days!) mine is safe as there will be 2-5 other bikes that can just be ridden off for said scrote to choose from ;-)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I have been touring all over Europe every year for 40 yrs and the only time I had anything stolen was when someone stole the mirrors of my bike in Rome. On that same trip whilst in the then Yugoslavia zi left my expensive camera on my towel on the beach while I went for some food, it was still there when I got back In spite of the locals being very poor.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts