KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys just picked up my first KTM it's the SMT and I was hoping for a few pointers, I have had a few bikes nicked a triumph tiger and two sports bikes. How popular are KTM's to these people? because I notice some bikes never get stolen they just sit outside their owners homes undisturbed :)
Is it true that there is no fuel gauge? just a 'F' when it goes into reserve? plus how many miles is in reserve? sorry for all the questions. I have plenty more :)

Cheers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Happy new bike!

KTM spares are not particularly cheap, so yes, your new bike is nickable.

I have the 950 SM, no reserve, but the light comes on, and the third trip starts clocking up the miles. I've done 27 normal riding miles, and not run dry. Don't know if the SMT is the same, you have a different tank.

When you fill up, you can kill the low fuel light by pressing and holding the set button for 2 or 3 seconds. Otherwise, it will stay on for a few miles, it's normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Happy new bike!

KTM spares are not particularly cheap, so yes, your new bike is nickable.

I have the 950 SM, no reserve, but the light comes on, and the third trip starts clocking up the miles. I've done 27 normal riding miles, and not run dry. Don't know if the SMT is the same, you have a different tank.

When you fill up, you can kill the low fuel light by pressing and holding the set button for 2 or 3 seconds. Otherwise, it will stay on for a few miles, it's normal.
Thanks for the info. do you know a good place to order accessories like a big box at the back and maybe some other stuff?

thanks mate!

·
Registered
499 Posts
There are a number of places selling accessories - Jim Aim, AMS. If you Google KTM Powerparts you'll get a whole raft of options and then you can pick one based on convenience and / or price etc.

Nice bike, regardless of what Resti may say.

Welocme to the forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Speak to almax security and get a good quality chain and ground anchor
It will cost you about £200 but it's worth it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guys: when i turn on my ignition, after its ready, a brief msg appears that gives a number on the botom left (1856) then at the word 'length' on the right. is this the miles to the next service?
many thanks!

simon.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Very true Angustoyou. 99% of theft is down to you presenting easy pickings to the thieves. Make it hard work or more than 2 mins effort and they will look at the next bike.

Ground anchor was the 1st thing I invested in at home years ago for peace of mind. Cant be too careful and it is deters the skumbags its earnt its keep.

·
Registered
499 Posts
"guys: when i turn on my ignition, after its ready, a brief msg appears that gives a number on the botom left (1856) then at the word 'length' on the right. is this the miles to the next service?
many thanks!

simon."

It's thousandsth of an inch and refers to you directly!

I've no idea what it really means.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Security wise, start with leaving the bike in a different place to where the other bikes were nicked from. A good Almax device, alarm the garage, cctv and a hungry dog are all good but as has been said, if they want it they will take it. Your just trying to slow or hinder them from doing it. Easy option is move your tv and bed into the garage and sleep with a baseball bat beside your head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Security needs to be looked at in layers... The more security layers you have like a good Almax chain, ground anchor, tagging, tracking, disc locks, bike cover, removed wheels, disassembled engine, the better... ;) They will get bored and go for another bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts