KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening Loonies :D

Just wondered if anyone has used any of that self adhesive protective film to protect the paint on their bike or car? I want to get hold of some to apply to a few bits that I keep scuffing with my knee and boots when I get on and off my Duke.

Does anyone know where I can get some from? Everything I have found so far are kits for specific bikes or cars. I only need a couple of small pieces.

Cheers

Crsipy

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pop into a hein gericke we do a clear film sheet rather cheap and its ideal i use it on my frame on my rc8r
Cheers fella. I'll have a look on the HG site first and see if I can order it. Cheers for the quick reply.

Did you get my PM last week?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
It's a standard industrial product - clear self adhesive film - comes with the adhesive in different grades as well as the thickness of the film. Most of the profit is in supplying pre-cut panels to suit specific vehicles. If you can blag a few square feet all you need is to use a few pages of the Daily Torygraph for templates and a Swan & Morton scalpel with a fresh 10A blade ............ and Bob's your transgender Auntie.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Get some clear self adhesive vinyl - used for signs and stuff, and covering graphics. high durability stuff has outdoor life expectancy of 10yrs or so, and is very hard wearing, as well as easy to apply. i've picked some up for free before from a local sign-maker - managed to get his useless offcuts, that were pretty big!

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a standard industrial product - clear self adhesive film - comes with the adhesive in different grades as well as the thickness of the film. Most of the profit is in supplying pre-cut panels to suit specific vehicles. If you can blag a few square feet all you need is to use a few pages of the Daily Torygraph for templates and a Swan & Morton scalpel with a fresh 10A blade ............ and Bob's your transgender Auntie.
I'll swing by my local outdoor sign makers in Derby and see if he has anything I can use. Torygraph lol

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Clear vinyl isn't strong enough to protect against stone chips, and it will soon scuff and look shonky. Bear in mind your knees rub on you shrouds when you are riding, and leather is pretty abrasive

The proper film is made by 3m and essentially the same stuff they use for mx graphics. I used it on the shrouds of my old 625 that I painted, it was perfectly clear when applied correctly and resisted scuffing.
You can get sheets from various sellers on ebay.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
31,431 Posts
That's the stuff I was looking at but I only needed a small amount to cover the top of the tail section behind seat, I keep scuffing it (only lightly) when I get on and off my bike. I'll see how I get on with the cheap stuff and if it's really turd I'll stump up the readies for the good stuff. Cheers for the link. :D
Youth of today, talking about protection after they have had they leg over! Too late for a cover up now, lad! ;)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That's the stuff I was looking at but I only needed a small amount to cover the top of the tail section behind seat, I keep scuffing it (only lightly) when I get on and off my bike. I'll see how I get on with the cheap stuff and if it's really turd I'll stump up the readies for the good stuff. Cheers for the link. :D
Youth of today, talking about protection after they have had they leg over! Too late for a cover up now, lad! ;)
I guess that's to make it easy to wipe off
:D

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for my mountain bike - I've used this http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=73

it's also been used as a frame guard on my motorbike.

"made by 3M it's normally used for protecting helicopter and wind turbine blades."
Cheers for the link fella. Perfect as it comes in relatively small amounts. I'll save it and get some if the stuff I've ordered is a bit shit. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts