KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of selling my 450SMR and just need some input. We hear to regularly of bikes advertised on other sites (ebay, pistonheads, biketrader) and after a viewing has been arranged at the owners address the bike will be stolen soon afterwards. I definitely don't want to be one of those sellers. I have had a few inquiries now and every time I tell them we can meet some public for them to look at the bike. 2 People that sounds likes genuine buyers replied that they won't do it that because it is very dodgy buying a bike that can't be viewed at the owners address. I know that buyers advise do state that you always view the bike at the property and even ask to use the bathroom to make sure it is the sellers home, but I am just shit scared about giving out my address especially if they are not regular forum member of here or seveenteeninches. Advise appreciated.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Tell them you'll meet them somewhere public, show them the bike, go for a spin, whatever. If they're happy and you're happy bring them back to your place, and you can show them bills, your licence, whatever eveidence they need, but i've never allowed anyone up to the house without meeting them first.. If they cant understand this then better off without them.. And ive sold 2 bikes this year..

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I suppose the middle ground would be to meet them somewhere near, then take them back to yours to show them the bike.
Any reasonable buyer should understand your view on things too.

·
Registered
946 Posts
How about allowing them to view the bike at your home address, but with an insane amount of security (even if borrowed for the occassion)?

Ground anchor, couple of Almaxs, something practically immovable in front of the bike, "your stay at home 24/7 partner" car in front of the garage, the relentlessly barking and uber-alert dog pacing about.

How about a super-cheap alarm under the seat "that goes off if you even brush past the bike". Can be removed the second the cash is in your account.

I'll be honest, I would not buy from an alternative address and would also have concerns from selling from home. Catch 22.

Would it be illegal to ask for a photocopy of photo-ID to be retained until sold?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Whats the problem:confused:

If they don't understand your concerns and that its you that stands to lose, don't bother with them.

Why would it matter to them where they view it:confused: - not like they will be coming with a bag of used notes:dozey:

If they wanna buy it then fine, they can arrange to confirm all is legit when they come to pay/ pick up:smokin:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Personally I have no problems having people to my house, but I understand your concerns. If they cant meet with your terms - f*ck em. I would have to say I would insist on coming to the sellers property if a deal was to be done though..............

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i tell people that the bike is stored at my parents house..so any viewings would need to be done there!..you take the bike there for the viewing (with proof you are who is on the logbook) if they buy it...they buy it, if not ride home real quick and no one will be able to follow you.
ive had a bike nicked because of giving out my address for a viewing, i wouldnt do it again.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have told them that we can meet up about 1 mile from my house, I'll have the bike in my van with the V5 (Address blanked off) and they are more than welcome to have a look and even a bimble on it as it is an industrial estate. But I won't take them to my house unless I am sure they are definitely going to buy the bike. It is such a bitch that you really can't trust anyone. A pikey will have a field day in my garage, although it is locked, the two other bikes is alarmed and ADT keeps an eye on it for me you never know how sophisticated the fookers might be.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I've sold 8 bikes from the front of the house and never had a problem, just used to chain them up to the cars alloy wheel and leave them outside with a for sale sign. Just have a little faith in people and I'm sure you will be OK. You can always take a sneaky picture of the viewers.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have told them that we can meet up about 1 mile from my house, I'll have the bike in my van with the V5 (Address blanked off) and they are more than welcome to have a look and even a bimble on it as it is an industrial estate. But I won't take them to my house unless I am sure they are definitely going to buy the bike. It is such a bitch that you really can't trust anyone. A pikey will have a field day in my garage, although it is locked, the two other bikes is alarmed and ADT keeps an eye on it for me you never know how sophisticated the fookers might be.
Depending on the bikes concerned and the values, it would not hurt to move the other bikes and other valuables out of sight / away for the occassion. If a theif sees £10,000 of other bikes in the garage, they may see a £1,000 purchase as worthy investment.

Are you friendly with a local garage / dealer to allow the viewing at their site?

Echoing others thoughts, go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Depending on the bikes concerned and the values, it would not hurt to move the other bikes and other valuables out of sight / away for the occassion. If a theif sees £10,000 of other bikes in the garage, they may see a £1,000 purchase as worthy investment.

Are you friendly with a local garage / dealer to allow the viewing at their site?

Echoing others thoughts, go with whatever you feel most comfortable with.
This raises an interesting point Phil my your insurance policy with you doesn't cover you unless the bike is nicely locked away in your garage so if some scrote ran off with it where do you stand?
I NEVER leave the bikes out the front of the house as I am lucky enough to have a large rear garden and storage out there - ahving said that, if I'm washing the bike and pop indoors for a couple of seconds, would you cover me for theft there?

The knock on with private sales means I would probably rather take a hit on selling to a dealer than have the paranoia of having all sorts of oiks looking around my place.

When I bought my Yam I had already had a couple of phone calls and some email exganges with the seller so I was happier to go and see him without hopefulyl being mugged for the wad of cash I had to pay for it - it has been known.
I took my nephew with me and he had his dad at the house (who went with me on a test ride) so there was some back up on each side... what the hell are we coming to in this country?

·
Registered
946 Posts
This raises an interesting point Phil my your insurance policy with you doesn't cover you unless the bike is nicely locked away in your garage so if some scrote ran off with it where do you stand?
I NEVER leave the bikes out the front of the house as I am lucky enough to have a large rear garden and storage out there - ahving said that, if I'm washing the bike and pop indoors for a couple of seconds, would you cover me for theft there?
If you have a policy that state the bike must be garaged at all times when at the home address and it is stolen from your driveway, there would be no theft cover or certain terms will be applied depending on the policy and insurer.

If your policy states the bike must be kept in the garage when at the home address, it means just that.

The statistics for bikes / quads stolen from the home address are frightening.

·
My Reality Check bounced
16,646 Posts
id not buy a bike is the sellers says he will meet sumwhere as 9 times out for ten the vehicles fucked and they dont want any comeback. sadly too many thieveing cunts around in this world so its a gamble if they ring up and sound a pikey they prolly are lol

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
id not buy a bike is the sellers says he will meet sumwhere as 9 times out for ten the vehicles fucked and they dont want any comeback.
im with you tats..i personally wouldnt view a bike somewhere random, as i read in the newspaper about a family buying a merc got held up for there cash at gunpoint in a carpark by people claiming to be selling a car who wanted to meet there!

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
If you have a policy that state the bike must be garaged at all times when at the home address and it is stolen from your driveway, there would be no theft cover or certain terms will be applied depending on the policy and insurer.

If your policy states the bike must be kept in the garage when at the home address, it means just that.

The statistics for bikes / quads stolen from the home address are frightening.
The policy is one of yours Phil.
In theory that means you have to wash the bike indoors even though it is behind (not solid) gates in the back garden.

An older policy that I had doubled the excess, which seems slightly fairer, but voiding the theft part is a bit strong IMHO.
I'm all for not being obvious about the bike as I have aid above but you can't keep it in the garage 100% of the time - bearing in mind I could leave it unattended all day every weekday at say, a station car park and be fully covered.

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
In theory that means you have to wash the bike indoors even though it is behind (not solid) gates in the back garden.

An older policy that I had doubled the excess, which seems slightly fairer, but voiding the theft part is a bit strong IMHO.
I'm all for not being obvious about the bike as I have aid above but you can't keep it in the garage 100% of the time - bearing in mind I could leave it unattended all day every weekday at say, a station car park and be fully covered.
Fair point. When my insurer asked if my bike had an immobiliser I said no, when they said is it chained I said no, when they said does it have a disc lock I said no. Less change of the buggers wriggling out of a claim......

·
Registered
946 Posts

If you have declared (for insurance purposes) that the bike will be garaged, that is what the insurer will expect. The consequences are that there will be no theft cover or changes to the terms, such as an increased theft excess.

The clause is aimed at the bike being left unattended or parked, so there is no need to actually wash it in the garage. However, it should be no great hardship to wheel it into the garage and lock it if you need to pop into the house. I would be shocked if an insurer refused a theft claim if the bike was jacked from under you on your drive. Also, some insurers state a time, for example it must be garaged between 10pm and 6am.

Before everyone panics, the garaging clause may only applied if you told the insurer that the bike would be garaged. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

I think I may have mentioned this before, but, I would recommend that everyone double-checks their policy documents.

If you have a high valued and / or grouped bike and advised your insurer that it will be garaged, it is likely to have a garaging clause.

A number of website state 80% of bikes are stolen from home.

Apologies for going off-topic, OP.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Fair point. When my insurer asked if my bike had an immobiliser I said no, when they said is it chained I said no, when they said does it have a disc lock I said no. Less change of the buggers wriggling out of a claim......
I can't comment on the wriggling our of it part, but I totally agree with your logic. If there is a chance that you are not going to lock it, tell them that it is not locked and see if it affects the quote. Same with garaging, if it may be in the garage or may be on the drive, look into the worse case scenario first. But be honest rather than just trying to save a few pounds, as the consequences are massive! Sometimes these factors affect the premium, sometimes they can void the cover. Best to find that out before cover begins and not after a claim has occurred.

With certain bikes you may struggle though. A RC8R in the middle of London with no security or garage will have a VERY limited market, if any. It would probably be cheaper to build a garage than pay for the insurance, haha.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts