KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete novice as far as off road riding is concerned but I have been cajoled into doing the 'adventure' stages of the Intercontinental Rally.

I am after setting up a bike that is also road legal. It needs to have a range of 250km and it will be covering between 300 and 600km a day.

Is a 525 enduro going to be suitable? Or would it need to be the 690?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Or even better - does anyone know of one or sale!

Many thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Intercontinental Rally looks a cracking event, have a look at RallyMoto Forums - The home of rally motorcycling in the UK the home of rallying in the UK there is a list of events for this year and you can still get an entry to the K2 Rally in June. As for the bike personal for me the 690 due to longevity of the engine and lots of aftermarket kits & bits available to make it in to a rally/adventure bike.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
both bike will need bigger tanks fitted as neither is great on fuel. 525 would be more fun but would need oil chnages i think along the way - well you are supposed to but it might be ok. 690 is better suited as engine is designed to go the distance. ok on fuel i believe but tank is a but small. how about thnking outside the box ie xt660z? i've got one and it'll do 250 miles on a tank no prolem, i've stretched it to 300 miles. should be fine for the adventure bits and can be picked up cheap too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes John your right the Yam would be spot on for that type of event straight out the crate and a at 50% of the cost of a 690 + rally / adv kit, I assumed Ben may have one of the two bikes already anyways he needs to get riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps. Honestly I'm a complete novice (have only ever trundled around on 900cc Triumph crusiers) so all of your help is much needed and appreciated. Cheap is good if there's no real compromise.The xt660z is more of a 'adventure bike' than an enduro isn't it? Any thoughts also on a husqvarna 610te? Thanks. Ben

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Well yest the tenere is an adventure bike, not an enduro at all. but from looking at the website and from what you said the 'adventure' part of the rally is just that. designed for adventure bikes - or did i get that wrong?

anyway - check out this review of the tenere on my website: Tenere Owner's Review

also see it in action on the trails here: Wilts Big Bike Ride June 2011

for more rally enduro type going then i'd say the 690 is the one to go for, but then you also have to start shoping for a bigger tank etc.

husky? mmmmm nice but fickle

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ben have a look on the Rallymoto site the two guys that run that have recently purchased Huskies TE630 and have set them up for rally racing both here and aboard in the deserts of north Africa, when I looked at the videos of this year IR the vast spectrum of different types of bike competing was very interesting from light weight enduro bike to heavy adventure bikes and everything in between.
An enduro type bike will need more maintaining while an adventure bike requires less because their stronger built for more miles, I have a KTM LC4 Adventure which is custom made for that sort of event but they are hard to find now days you could look at getting a LC4 enduro model and adapting it for rallying / adventure.
Have you look at the K2 rally on 9th & 10th June in the Northumberland I think you still get entered be good experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts