KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI folks, got a chance of swapping my Superduke + abit of cash for a 08 RC8. The bike looks mint with service history, 3330 miles. Bought from a Honda dearler and they stated that it had been to gear4 previous and had any outstanding recalls done. Here lots of negative things about these bikes, what do you lot think.Did the recalls sort these bikes out? Really nervous/excited on what to do:confused:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi, I've owned a 05 Superduke, a 08 Superduke, and now have an RC8..

I would say it depends on how much you like your SD? The RC8 is better for high speed blasts, and in my opinion, has the best chassis of any motorcycle I have owned [over 60 bikes]. However if you really enjoy your SD and just want to hoon around, maybe back roads etc, then maybe stick with it............ Both very good bikes, and probably depends on the actual bike as some KTM's have more issues than others -]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a gixxer 1000 before and want to go back to a superbike, love the V Twin now, I was more worried about the bad press of the 08s

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
There's been plenty of bad press about the bikes (until recently when all of a sudden they're ace) but my experience of ownership, and being a member on here, tells a very different story to the poor press they've had. Close to 14,000 miles now and only problems have been having to have the clutch plates and water pump seals replaced around 8500 miles, along with replacing something to do with the breather system driven off the rear cylinder camshaft (plus gearbox and pillion seat catch mods but I don't view those as problems). Best bike I've ever had and I'm currently considering swapping for another '08/'09 RC8 because my mileage is creeping up.

Service from Appleyards and KTM UK has been fantastic and far exceeds my previous experience with Suzuki UK

As for should you swap... only you can decide that one. The 8 isn't a bike that suits everybody. It feels very different to a gixxer 1000, so if you can get a demo ride on one for at least a couple of hours

·
Registered
283 Posts
How much do they want Cheeseman? Remember that KTM were selling off brand new 08s for £7995 recently so a 2nd hand one isn't worth anywhere near that, regardless of condition and histiry.

Other than that, I went from a Superduke to an RC8. The 8 is faster, more practical, can tour, takes handling to insane levels and looks fantastic. If you're after a sportsbike go for it. But the Superduke is one of the all time great gag bikes. Little else is a fun to ride, especially back road stuff at lower speeds.

Finally, as others have said, the RC8 is not for everyone, some people just don't seem to get on with them, so get yourself a decent test ride first.

I love mine, wouldn't swap it for anything (except maybe an R), I hope you feel the same :)

Mitch

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
so a 2nd hand one isn't worth anywhere near that, regardless of condition and histiry.
It's a really interesting/frustrating situation with those '08 bikes being brought back from overseas and sold off. As I mentioned, I've been ringing around trying to sort out a deal on mine and dealers really don't seem to know what value to put on 8s at the moment. One dealer even advised me to hold on a while because he suspects prices will rise again once the last of the 'sale 8s' have gone (which I believe they nearly have)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had a 06 Superduke and I gave it away for a 08 RC8.
It is my first superbike and it took me a while to get used to it (the migration from bars to clip-ons was a bit difficult for me)
Sometimes I was thinking "maybe I shouldn't had swapped it"
But not any more. The 8 is an awesome bike!!
If I could afford it, I would like to have both of them.

Difficult decision

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just a quick update guys/ladies. He has taken cash instaed of swap so gutted. I will have to see if my heart is in it when my SD sells, its on ebay if any1 interested, black 1 nottingham

1 - 14 of 14 Posts