KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nipped into a Shell station the other day and filled up using their latest 'new' fuel. Can't say that I noticed any appreciable performance or economy difference. As the price is the same as Esso, Tesco and Morrisons - Is it worth sticking with it?

An old bloke thought I was completely bonkers as he told me about the launch of Formula Shell petrol in the 1980's and some very negative feedback.

Anyone using it in their KTM or got any experience/views?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I see one the other day and thought should I or shouldnt I ? .... Then again I just piss into my tank thats the best performance fuel you can get...=D

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I filled my Duke 2 with it on Sunday morning. I can't say it was any better or worse that the V-Power stuff. This might be down to the relatively crude old LC4 engine but I'll probably use it again.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
An old bloke thought I was completely bonkers as he told me about the launch of Formula Shell petrol in the 1980's and some very negative feedback.
Yeah I remember that. Only those people that still had a years worth of Shell receipts were able to
succesfully claim for damaged engines. wasnt just 'older' leaded engines either!

I'll wait till the fuel's been proven a while before switching

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Higher octane, yes... but most of the engineer types on here seem to agree it makes no difference in KTM's agricultural engines. LOL

Not sure I see the point in "economy" fuels for bikes when most of my riding is about wasting fuel for pleasure. My priority would always be engine life and performance over saving a few pence on fuel filling up a 17 litre tank once a fortnight.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I remember that too. It affected the valves and Shell said they couldn't specifically tie it to their petrol------until a company car owner coughed up with a dodgy motor and fuel card which said he had only ever used the new shell fuel from day 1 of ownership.
Never mind the old bloke though...some of us older farts may have heard about the (alleged) Shell Oil which (allegedly) cleaned your engine whilst it worked.
It definitely cleaned the engine but on the old Nortons the oil filter was after the oil pump and the oil pressure switch was between the pump and filter, so it all looked and sounded OK until the engine went pop cos all the bits that the oil had cleaned were clogging up the oil filter.
Aren't Shell one of them investors in Africa companies that the greenies don't like?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I would need to fill the car 60 times to save enough fuel to have 1 free tank. Not worth it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I remember the Formula Shell very well, as I ran it in a new Volvo Estate I had at the time, the engine was absolutely knackered as in the there was no compression the valve guides and seats were worn out, after 32,000 miles
I did'nt realise it was the fuel until I had the engine re-built after all the stories started leaking out, and from memory it was just out of warranty with Volvo

·
Registered
186 Posts
I remember that too. It affected the valves and Shell said they couldn't specifically tie it to their petrol------until a company car owner coughed up with a dodgy motor and fuel card which said he had only ever used the new shell fuel from day 1 of ownership.
Never mind the old bloke though...some of us older farts may have heard about the (alleged) Shell Oil which (allegedly) cleaned your engine whilst it worked.
It definitely cleaned the engine but on the old Nortons the oil filter was after the oil pump and the oil pressure switch was between the pump and filter, so it all looked and sounded OK until the engine went pop cos all the bits that the oil had cleaned were clogging up the oil filter.
I particularly remember this and Shell's petrol was used as a "scapegoat" for dodgy valves on certain cars. mostly Vauxhall's I seem to remember.
Thing is that the fuel had been in use for 2 years before it was officially launched, whihout any complaints.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I don't remember this story about the Shell Formula petrol. It's making me think twice about using the FuelSave fuels until they have been about for a while and proved themselves as a viable (and safe for my engines) option. I filled my Audi and my KTM with the FuelSave diesel and the petrol. I might be back to the V-Power for a while.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
i tried the previous incarnation of added power fuel in my car and bike (fazer 600) the car made not one iota of difference but the bike seemed to have more get up and go . please remeber the claim to save 1 litre of fuel is based on a cars tank ie 20 litres or more as someone has allready pointed out you would have to use an awful lot to save a few pennies

·
Registered
980 Posts
do you really think they changed anything? it all comes out the same pot regardless of where you buy it from.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you really think they changed anything? it all comes out the same pot regardless of where you buy it from.
You are right that most of it comes out of the same refinery - but each brand then adds their own 'special' additives before it is pumped into your local petrol station.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are right that most of it comes out of the same refinery - but each brand then adds their own 'special' additives before it is pumped into your local petrol station.
Correct. The supermarkets used to be particularly keen on Benzine, which is carcinogenic, because it was a cheap way of stretching out the fuel. Bless them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts