KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it’s not orange but I’m hoping you guys knowledge of bikes are more than mine. I’m looking at a Sherco 500 sef, I’ve never owned a Sherco and I’m looking for opinions on them. They seem quite a good bike?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
How old is it I think they used the rfs motor

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Lot of engine there. Ideal for long distance road riding maybe a bit much for naggery shit, but it's about control, so you'll get used to it we used to greenlane on 400/450/525, no issues

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lot of engine there. Ideal for long distance tyre riding maybe a bit much for naggery shit, but it's about control, so you'll get used to it we used to greenlane on 400/459/525, not issues
Thanks for the comments, there’s a bit of road work in between lanes these days so so I wanted a 500 to handle that and do a bit of single track.
Thanks for the reply’s!

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Especially if they do a factory version with all the nice bits and KYB!

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
I'm thinking of a Sherco as my next bike, I wouldn't get anything other than the factory version with the KYB suspension.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sherco has arrived

Only had a little blast, the bikes rides nice! Feels like my 350, light ! Hopefully I’ll get out this weekend!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right , just got back from a ride out. Did some single track through the woods, some deep muddy ruts,open trail, road work , and bumpy trails.
1st impressions!!
This bike handles the twists better than the 350 excf ( no sending you wide lock to lock)!
Better on the road !( obviously)!
About the same on the open stuff and bumps!
The bike feels lighter than the 350 , doesn’t make sense!!
I loved my 350, but I haven’t missed it today!
This is for anyone who’s interested!! As I know it’s not orange!!

Before and after!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice bike had a couple 300sef factory models and a 2t version only thing i hated was the resale value.got mine revalved by broken legs was mint.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice bike had a couple 300sef factory models and a 2t version only thing i hated was the resale value.got mine revalved by broken legs was mint.
Yeh I thought about resale value, but if it’s reliable and I keep it for a few years I should get my money’s worth out of it. It’s the guy who bought it new that has taken a big hit !theres not much info out there on the bike like the ktm’s , and not many dealers around, that’s the downside. Post a problem on a ktm you get loads of answers, post in Sherco, and you can wait days for an answer, or get none.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
From what the www is telling me, the only faults with these new sherco's is the weak rear fender arrangement and the weak sidestand (due to 'lattice' construction).

If you keep a bike for a few years, then resale values should be less of an issue.

What is aftermarket/parts availability like?

If l get a new dirtbike, it is likely to be sherco - ktm's take too much work to get them right.

Good to see that its such a good handling bike.

Nice one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked out parts and you can get them on internet or dealers, ( I’ll be using Marsh mx , in wales)
But these bikes are quite good out of the box!
Skid plate is good
Full akrapovic
Kyb
Excel rims.
On factory bikes

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I like it, I ended up with a Husky because I did a PX deal with it on another bike, but much as I love my KTM road bikes their is a proliferation of Orange in the offroad world, so owning a KTM dirt bike is like owning a GS road bike from the "everyones has one" perspective.

I also prefer the Husky White / Blue over the KTM colours, especially as a trail bike being ridden by a moron like me, otherwise way too much show for the go!

Had to take it for its 1st MOT tomorrow and really enjoyed the road ride even on the dirt tyres, thinking night go and ride some narrow single tracks near me at the weekend, they will still be way too shitty to take my 1290 down.

As for resale values I kind of assumed all dirt bikes will drop very rapidly, getting a decent discount or low miles used one will limit this, but it is no different to any other hobby, you can pay a fortune for golg club membership and that has no resale value, just money down the drain (if that is how you judge every purchase)

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Looked online, but cant see anything, what are the rebuild hrs on these motors?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool bike, I didn't know they did a 500
They are big in Australia apparently, so maybe (bollocks), on ere knows more about them and the Sherco, reliability!!
Like I say not many in this country!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts