Registered
3,287 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
I’d love one if these, there’s quite a few popping up in great condition, but it would break my heart when I dropped it on the trails!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I wouldn't worry, they bounce pretty good, even without crash bars, some people reckon that are better without em. Personally I don't. Saved my leg in a land rover carrying portloo interface in 2011. My mates even rode the bike 40 miles to the campsite afterwards.
Get one, I'm on my 2nd, love em.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I must admit, l took the crash bars off mine as they are mounted onto 3 points that could cause damage if you drop the bike. The plastic tank covers/guards seem to do a good job protecting the tank (also makes oil changes easier)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I put the beast on the dyno after fitting a Triple Clamp air filter to get the fuelling set up right... 96 rwhp. Not bad for a 16 year old banger
Yeh but dyno operators can give you a readout showing whatever they want it to show (demonstrated to me years ago) and do to make it look like they have done a good job, so not worth the paper it is printed on.

Best hope you are not faced with a decent depth river or even puddle because you loose about 300mm wading depth over the standard air box, prefer to take a few minutes extra to change the standard air filter than have to change bent conrods.
Then there is the fact the air is sucked in from behind the radiator so much hotter than right up top where the standard air box sucks cooler air from, cooler air has to be better for performance.

These open filters leave the filter exposed so get splashed and for those that use these bikes off road the filter could get torn by a stray branch/rock etc allowing unfiltered air in to your engine and the biggest issue for me is the throttle linkage cables etc were never designed to be out in the open the should be inside a the sealed airbox, out in the open a twig branch dirt grass ect could easily get in there (Should see some of the debris that falls out when I take the tanks off my 950 adv) and keep supplying your "96 rwhp" ;) just when you do not want it:(

These ktm's were desined and built back in the day when ktm gave a toss, the air box does a good job and to any one with basic knowlage of how to use a few basic tools and 10 minutes you can change the air filter and no need to oil it. Besides the air filter thanks in part to backwards pointing air intake lasts just fine, I did a very dusty week long Serres rally on one air filter, bike ran fine and nothing got past the filter in fact a bet if I bashed it out and put it back in it would do another week without any problems.

As with many of these aftermarket kits it is a cure to a problem that does not exist in fact it creates more problems than it is supposed to solve, not sure which one it was but a picture I saw of one of these type of foam filter kits for the 950/990 adv was clearly designed by a marketing person with at best little knowlage of engineering, proven by the fact of use of bollhoff, rivnut, nutsert, rivnot or what ever you want to call these engineering copout's, even the hexagon ones fail (spin or pull out) so why use them in a threaded hole that is in regular use holding the air filter in place?

·
Registered
565 Posts
These been quite a few of these for sale recently, and I’m thinking hard about getting one. It will be used for off road , so would I be better off with the standard or the R version? Is there much difference, and are there any problems to look out for ??.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
The 950S and the 990R have the most ground clearance and you need every bit of it (and more) when you get in deep ruts made by enduro bikes.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Google 'how' hall of wisdom ....... that will tell you what to look out for ......

41 - 60 of 68 Posts