KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I going insane or are the plastics on my 57 950sm actually getting smaller? None of the boltholes line up anymore on the side panels where I swear they used to just slot into place. The front shields (that cover the horn and expansion tank) seem to have developed a really sloppy fit.

Anybody else noticed this or has mine just been out in the rain too long?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I came to put my tank back on after servicing (it had been off a couple of months) and it appeared to be almost too big for the bike. I was fearful of breaking the spoilers the amount of force I had to use to get them back on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came to put my tank back on after servicing (it had been off a couple of months) and it appeared to be almost too big for the bike. I was fearful of breaking the spoilers the amount of force I had to use to get them back on.
This is exactly what I found - had to change the oil pressure switch so had the tank off for a couple of weeks. I needed to wrestle the thing back onto the mounts at it had seemingly slumped a bit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did the tank have quite a bit of fuel in it??

If so its possible the tank could have splayed slightly under its own weight if it wasnt supported properly. It wont have to splay much for it to be a twat to refit.

Crispy I know what you mean,,,some bastards shrunk My leathers aswell.....got on the scales and I was 19 F**king stone....now on chicken and tuna diet so I can get back in my leathers!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The tank does seem to deform a bit if left off the bike for a while. This then causes other things not to line up properly. Mine went back on OK when I forced it onto all the mounts. I suppose the answer is not to leave it on the garage floor for too long.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Funny thing, it's not just plastics. I take my bike to bits no problem but it never seems to go back together the same! And I have a large collection of left over bolts, not all from the KTM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Same problem with mine.Took tank off to replace points in fuel pump.
Rear tank mounting lug difficult to line up, needed lot of force to screw down.
Had to elongate holes in one tank side panel to line bolts up.
I think tank warps with time, never had it off bike for more than a couple of days.
I somehow don't think KTM would listen to a warranty claim on a 6 year old bike.
And have you seen the price of a new one FFS !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts