KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just heard the real sad news (I hope its wrong):eek::frown:

Sidways Closing :eek: .........This just proves there is no justice, with out a doubt the best bike shop I have ever used.

Bob and Kyle are fantastic mechanaics (the only ones I have ever felt truely happy with working on my bikes, I trusted them completely)

Great sales and after service and Nick in the stores always helpfull with nothing to much trouble

Best book up for a last service quick

if anybody has any info on where Kyle is going I would be very gratefull

:frown::frown::frown:

·
Premium Member
31,502 Posts
Lots of dealers are struggling.

Cant sell trade ins and the distributors are pushing them to take more new stock. Very difficult times.

Stock = money tied up and if its on an overdraft its very scary.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
most ktm dealers have 100k+ in stock in are in ktm's back pocket with the fininace deal ktm push to the dealers "something has to give" you need to have quite a bit of equity to ride it out but many are dipping into there own pockets to ride the storm and are supplementing the business personally themselves.

Theres a few more yet that will be going and its a real shame when they do but would you dip into your savings knwoing that its not going to get any better?????

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guys, as far as I know this is just rumour so I wouldn't panic yet.

As a side issue, Bob left a while ago and has his own business set up in Wool working on classic bikes etc but that had nothing to do with Sideways as a business.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know they have been trying to sell it for a long time. I have bought 2 bikes from them, but I know of at least 5 others who have gone fowlers and would not deal with them.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Lots of dealers are struggling.

Cant sell trade ins and the distributors are pushing them to take more new stock. Very difficult times.

Stock = money tied up and if its on an overdraft its very scary.
A short but very considered response.

If you tune into forum members concerns about their own jobs, competition for each pound in their pockets, KTM's pricing policies (new bikes and spares) and the overheads that some dealers carry - 2011 is going to be a very tough year for a lot of folk!

Sideways seemed to get a pretty good press on this forum - so not a good news story.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Guess it goes in cycles... ebay must hit a lot of dealers hard and at the end of the day everyone wants a bargain. feel for the dealers that are stuck with stuff they cant sell as someone else is undercutting them it cant be nice for them because for 99% of buyers, price is everything, aftersales must take a huge hit from ebay. BUT I think the same money is being spent on bikes/kit/aftermarket, someone is making the money, it is a case of dealers needing to adapt or die. if the web is killing you, you need a competitive website... if the shop down the road is killing you, give away low value stuff and offer better service. hats, pens, lanyards, umbrellas, tshirts cost bugger all but might swing you a sale over the guy who offers nothing. One thing I have seen from the service business is giving 'vouchers' goes a long long way. Imagine your new KTM came with a £150 shop voucher, you would more than likely come out with £200 worth of stuff and any loss (if any) would be tax deductable for the shop...

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have just heard the real sad news (I hope its wrong):eek::frown:

Sidways Closing :eek: .........This just proves there is no justice, with out a doubt the best bike shop I have ever used.

Bob and Kyle are fantastic mechanaics (the only ones I have ever felt truely happy with working on my bikes, I trusted them completely)

Great sales and after service and Nick in the stores always helpfull with nothing to much trouble

Best book up for a last service quick

if anybody has any info on where Kyle is going I would be very gratefull

:frown::frown::frown:

Not good news that a dealer is shutting down. Suzuki are apparently getting rid of 58 franchises over the next twelve months so that will hit a few dealers quite hard aswell. Unfortunately my dealings with Sideways has not been quite so good. There PX prices always seem to be a good few hundred quid less than you can get elsewhere and they won't negotiate too far from their first offer. And their mechanics failed to to fix my regulater problem and instead done something that made bugger all difference and has since been reversed. They also managed to lose my phone number so didn't ring me when my bike was available for collection.When I did ring ,the message from the shop was prety vague because they couldn't get in touch with the workshop across the yard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Damn, bought my 990S from them 2 years ago and they've looked after me very well ever since. Kyle did a superb job last week getting my bitch of a pinion off. I hope the rumour isn't true, I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Guys, as far as I know this is just rumour so I wouldn't panic yet.
Unfortunatey NOT a rumour......... :redface:

Was confirmed to a fellow customer on Friday

Just cant sell enough bikes, despite their excellent customer service
standards, and alround good reputation.

Loads of people have test-ridden their bikes, and then very few
returned to convert into a sale.
(sadly, the test-locally, buy-at-discount-elsewhere, concept)

Very Best wishes to Ian, Chris, Nick, Kyle, and new mechanic,
Who've always impressed me and won my customer loyalty.
Real shame to see the business have to close, hope to see you all
settled in new positions eventually.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i can see why they cant sell enough bikes, i went in to ready to buy a rc8r but was completly ignored twice so gave up and bought a ducati

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Guess it goes in cycles... ebay must hit a lot of dealers hard and at the end of the day everyone wants a bargain. feel for the dealers that are stuck with stuff they cant sell as someone else is undercutting them it cant be nice for them because for 99% of buyers, price is everything, aftersales must take a huge hit from ebay. BUT I think the same money is being spent on bikes/kit/aftermarket, someone is making the money, it is a case of dealers needing to adapt or die. if the web is killing you, you need a competitive website... if the shop down the road is killing you, give away low value stuff and offer better service. hats, pens, lanyards, umbrellas, tshirts cost bugger all but might swing you a sale over the guy who offers nothing. One thing I have seen from the service business is giving 'vouchers' goes a long long way. Imagine your new KTM came with a £150 shop voucher, you would more than likely come out with £200 worth of stuff and any loss (if any) would be tax deductable for the shop...
Spot on - except that too many dealerships employ muppets whose 'customer service' skills are stuck in the 1950's. If a dealer's staff don't know or understand what customer service is all about, then don't be surprised if existing customers drift off elsewhere and potential customers never quite engage.

Many of the guys I meet up with, will openly tell folk how various dealers just don't seem that interested in maintaining their business - shoddy servicing, never return phone calls, no invites to view new models, no free coffee (or awful vending machine ersatz ditchwater), inconvenient opening hours, etc etc.

How often have you been working on your bike at the weekend, needed a part and the dealership has closed the parts counter at lunchtime on a Saturday?

KTM dealers are currently trying to charge premium prices for both the new bikes and the after-sales service - unfortunately the actual customer experience is often reminiscent of British Leyland dealerships in the 1970's. As the UK economy sruggles, those dealers who ain't looking after their customers will be dropping their shutters for the final time.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
NO support from ktm uk for there franchised dealers then??????? theres a surprise, well expect more after january when the VAT goes up to 20%

I personally know a few who are struggling with over heads and then being told by ktm you have to take more bikes and buy more spares and then follow up on previous sales with no reward at the end of it.

Its ktm uk who need to sort the problem out ,,,,,,see and listen to what customers want and need, instead of following graphs and charts from previous years..

Bikes need to be reduced by 15% in my opinion as bikesport newcastle has 2010 models forsale at cost price and still sat there..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bugger thought it was a bit empty in there when I popped in yesterday for a filter kit and oil. Wonder where all the bikes went cus there wernt many there. Now where do I go?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Its hard to see businesses closing down (I lost my own job a month back..and still looking) but I have to say, that my bike has been serviced twice by two different dealers, and once by me.

The first dealer's sales staff were great and helpful, but then I wanted an Arai XT lid £450, they weregoing to order it in and phone me...they never phoned. I ordered the workshop manual, they were going to order it and post it to me (I'd pay them over the phone)...they never did.

I wanted a tank bag...bought it elesewhere...because...they never rang me back. (I make that about £600 worth of high margin sales they've lost). The bike was serviced there, and when I came to service myself the next time, one of the fuel tank hoses was never connected up...not going there.

Dealer two. Got the bike back. Smells of petrrol, consumption down by about 20%. I've just taken it apart...couldn't see anything untoward, but I think it may have been the quick connector not quite clicked home (its a two stage connection) and it may have been weeping once the engine is running (about 3bar isn't it?).

The bung is missing off the bottom of the air box drain, that means its busily hoovering up low level crud and muck...can't wait for a river crossing. Oh and the realease cable for the glove box was routed wrong, so the thing wasn't clipped onto the side lug thing on one side. £363 for that. Fuck off I'll do it myself next time.

So that's my two "local" KTM dealers I shan't bother going back to. Orwell Motorcycles (sadly not KTM) service is a total contrast - prompt, want to speak to me, interested in helping and always return phone calls etc. I may well ask them if they can get stuff for me, I would like them to survive. TBH I couldn't care less what happens to the other two.

Tough life out there.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Up date

KTM servicing being moved to Sideways Parent company CW Motorcycles in Dorchester (Lets hope that this means Kyle)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts