Jets should be here wednesday.
What's people thoughts on...
Main 175
Pilot 48
N0ZF needle on 4

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I'd clean the carb, then bring it back to standard (jets, needle, pilot jet, slide) and start from there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'd clean the carb, then bring it back to standard (jets, needle, pilot jet, slide) and start from there.
Just ordered the standard needle which is the only thing that ain't standard and I cleaned the carb yesterday.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
You have a spec I use in my 150. NOZF is a needle I run in my 150 for its characteristic richness. I can also just about get away with a 45 pilot, normally I run a 42. I run a 175 main to.

48 pilot, NOZF #4 and 175 main seems pretty rich for anything bigger than a 200cc to me.

It’s not a rich stutter/stumble issue rather than a lean bog?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You have a spec I use in my 150. NOZF is a needle I run in my 150 for its characteristic richness. I can also just about get away with a 45 pilot, normally I run a 42. I run a 175 main to.

48 pilot, NOZF #4 and 175 main seems pretty rich for anything bigger than a 200cc to me.

It’s not a rich stutter/stumble issue rather than a lean bog?
What I have in my bike is...
Main 165, pilot 35 and N0ZF on 3.
The ktm manual says....
For my altitude and temp in devon..
Main 175. Pilot 48. N0ZF on 4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Forgot to say it's fine when raving on stand but once in 1st pulling away that's when it splutters/bogs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't worry about what it does on the stand - it needs to be fully up to temperature and under load to test jetting. That would be 10+ minutes riding, preferably on a quiet stretch of road so you can pay attention to what the engine is doing.

The manual seems to be good on jet sizes but the specified needles less so. Is there an equivalent to the suzuki needle for the 250? Also, what year is the bike and what is the condition of the engine? - it's easy to end up chasing your tail trying to jet a tired engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Don't worry about what it does on the stand - it needs to be fully up to temperature and under load to test jetting. That would be 10+ minutes riding, preferably on a quiet stretch of road so you can pay attention to what the engine is doing.

The manual seems to be good on jet sizes but the specified needles less so. Is there an equivalent to the suzuki needle for the 250? Also, what year is the bike and what is the condition of the engine? - it's easy to end up chasing your tail trying to jet a tired engine.
2011 and it's been rebuild 12hrs ago

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
That NR8H spec looks more like you’d expect than the NOZF spec.

Suzuki needle to try is NECJ on 250/300s. Very linear.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Still seems like it could be rich pilot to me if it slowly clears after sputtering along. In my experience a lean bog will not improve as long as the throttle is kept open. If rich then it’ll slowly clear, big puff of blue smoke and you are off. Like others have said, you can’t check jetting on a stand. It needs ragging. Hard! Hot enough that the cases are warm. Then do your tests while riding. Adjust. Ride. Repeat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Still seems like it could be rich pilot to me if it slowly clears after sputtering along. In my experience a lean bog will not improve as long as the throttle is kept open. If rich then it’ll slowly clear, big puff of blue smoke and you are off. Like others have said, you can’t check jetting on a stand. It needs ragging. Hard! Hot enough that the cases are warm. Then do your tests while riding. Adjust. Ride. Repeat.
Well I'm gonna put the carb back to standard like the manual says and then that gives me a base to start from and go from there... the needle I has is definitely wrong as it from a 125exc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
In this maybe relevant too..
It's been left in the cold garage all night and I can start it without using the choke fine...?‍♂?‍♂ makes me think its definitely rich ?????

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Main jet ... 165
Pilot jet.....35
Needle....N0ZF clip 3rd down or middle
Air screw......1.75-2 turns out
Thats a shit needle
Get yourself an n8rh or g
Or an n2zl or j or k
Much better needle
The nz needle are for wide open stuff very rich down difficult to tume
Get one of the needles ive suggested on clip 2 and youll feel much happier

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thats a shit needle
Get yourself an n8rh or g
Or an n2zl or j or k
Much better needle
The nz needle are for wide open stuff very rich down difficult to tume
Get one of the needles ive suggested on clip 2 and youll feel much happier
I'm waiting on delivery on a n8rh and a n84k needle....gonna put it to how the manual says and go from there hopefully be ok....doing my nut in now ?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
N8rh 38 170 clip 2 from the top
Youll love it

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Listen to [B]ktm450awyeah[/B] cos he knows what he's talking about and forget what the frikkin the manual says FFS, it's only a guide, especially regarding the air screw... that needs setting to the atmospheric conditions on the day

21 - 40 of 50 Posts