KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For practical reasons only I have bought one of these helmets like an off road helmet with a peak but it also has a visor, its an LS2 MX436 pioneer ring:oops: I got it because I can ware my glasses with it, I can not get glasses inside goggles with a motocross helmet and getting contact lenses in is a pain, I had to miss a day of a rally a while back because no one would put them in for me.
Is this a slippery slope? will I start wearing Klim, buying crash bars for my bike and fitting spot lights to it, or even meeting up with like minded "adventure riders" at starbucks to discuss the next bit of tacky bling I am going to bolt to my bike, If I do please put me out of my misery :giggle:

Any one used this kind of helmet in proper off road conditions?

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can also get prescription sports glasses. They have wraparound toughened polycarbonate lenses and will withstand flying stones. Most of the high street opticians sell them and they fit fine in standard mx helmets.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I use an Arai Tour X4 with prescription safety glasses for trail riding as I have To stop my eyes getting direct wind blast. Most wrap arounds are a bit small for that.
misting up can be a pain but washing up liquid seems to work on as long as you only put it on the inside.

It doesn’t turn you into a blingy Starbucks saddo though So don’t panic....yet.

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
Drop down visors are excellent. I haven’t tried one off road, but would be interested in what you think Lee. I wonder how they preform once hot and sweaty.
I asked the missus for a shag while I wear mine, but she isn’t keen, boring.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
The visor needs flipping up for trail riding or the sweaty heat is horrible. Hence the safety specs.
The best bit is in the cold or wet where your face stays cosy on the road as there aren’t those gaps between helmet and goggles.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Drop down visors are excellent. I haven’t tried one off road, but would be interested in what you think Lee. I wonder how they preform once hot and sweaty.
I asked the missus for a shag while I wear mine, but she isn’t keen, boring.
she didn't complain when i wore mine😁

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OTG goggles was not aware of them, might try some.
Prescription sport glasses sound ok but concerned they might end up being like some goggle inserts I had, quick ride up the road seemed ok got to the first special test in africa eco race (first bit of off road) and I soon found that the inserts distorted my view, bumps looked like supercross double jumps and ruts looked like the suez canal.
Yes misting could well be a problem but suppose I will just have to try it, no fun this getting old and blind, maybe we should all be shot at 50:LOL:

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Prescription lenses are proper glasses not those crappy inserts. Because of eye ops, I have to wear some decent size eye covering and I tried inserts in shooting glasses but the were useless and fall out easily.
These are mine. Cost about £150 but have been great.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just use lenses. Did glasses for a while as I thought lenses were a pain. But glasses are also a major pain. So I scouted around on YouTube and found a few tips on how to make lenses less of a pain and now I'm totally lenses.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem is I have managed to get contact lenses in twice I think in about 100 attempts and that is at home in front of a big mirror (scarey I know!) with no wind rain dust etc, mostly things end up getting thrown across the room, does not help with deep set in eyes (neanderthal shaped head :LOL:) big fingers the toutch of a mechanical digger and how the hell are you supposed to see where you are putting it without your glasses on! Then there is my patients...... or lack of,
Usually a friend who rides with me puts them in for me but if he is not riding I have had to go wandering around the pits asking people to do it for me, gets some weird looks I can tell you, most are funny about touching eyes especially other peoples:rolleyes:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I suspect the weird looks are from people thinking, "This weirdo can't put a contact lens in" :)

Getting them in hasn't been a problem for me, it was when I first started wearing them - did all the usual mistakes like chopping chillies before putting them in - but, practice made it easier. Even out in the wilds. I just make sure I have a few hand wipes in my pocket, and a few spare lenses handy (I do dailies on trips). Use the wing mirrors to see what's going on on trips, and wait until I'm back at the car when out at the track if a lens goes walkabout. I can get them in without a mirror, and dailies are usually okay to get out without a mirror as long as they haven't gone walkabout round the back of your eye (though this happens very rarely with fresh lenses).

Maybe practice a bit at home.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Problem is I have managed to get contact lenses in twice I think in about 100 attempts and that is at home in front of a big mirror (scarey I know!) with no wind rain dust etc, mostly things end up getting thrown across the room, does not help with deep set in eyes (neanderthal shaped head :LOL:) big fingers the toutch of a mechanical digger and how the hell are you supposed to see where you are putting it without your glasses on! Then there is my patients...... or lack of,
Usually a friend who rides with me puts them in for me but if he is not riding I have had to go wandering around the pits asking people to do it for me, gets some weird looks I can tell you, most are funny about touching eyes especially other peoples:rolleyes:
I use Oakley L Frames with glasses for trail riding. There is a double glazed lens you can swap in when it’s really cold to stop misting.

Pull down visors on adventure style helmets are great on the road or trails in summer, but in cold damp weather glasses and visor fog up.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
My Pinlock works fine.
A decent anti mist product or washing up liquid seem to work ok on the glasses unless there is extreme sweatiness.
Do goggles mist up? I don’t like the vision restriction and feeling of enclosure and no air so have only ever worn them once.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, yes ordered a pair of oakley O frame goggles so I have a few options to try. Did look at Laser eye or lens replacement but never got anywhere with it, I think the problem is I need reading glasses and different glasses for distance, there was talk of doing one eye for each but unsure.

Yes goggles can/do mist up especially if you start puffing and panting in a slow section.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Thanks, yes ordered a pair of oakley O frame goggles so I have a few options to try. Did look at Laser eye or lens replacement but never got anywhere with it, I think the problem is I need reading glasses and different glasses for distance, there was talk of doing one eye for each but unsure.

Yes goggles can/do mist up especially if you start puffing and panting in a slow section.
Not 100% sure but I think the L frames are a bit roomier

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I wear one for trailriding because I hate the lack of peripheral vision you get with goggles. For proper off road/racing I use goggles but doesn't have to be very cold to get glasses steaming up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts