KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to forum , have had my SM for 3 years from new fantastic bike , (last bikes zx10r,gsxr600 srad & k1, zx7r ), 2 months ago petrol started to weep from the low level sensor, replaced O ring , ok for to month then started to piss out due to the tank distorting behind the O ring , went to see Mark at H/H KTM Centre, after a couple of weeks KTM agreed to a new tank for 25% of cost , many thanks to Mark , in the mean time i have worked out a way to repair the leaking tank will post solution if needed by any one who may be experiencing the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will have to post photos as hard to explain with out made a backing plate that goes inside tank and is pulled up on to sender unit by sandwiching them, going to see how to post pic's

·
Ex 9fiddy sm'er
4,925 Posts
Personally I used a shit load of silicon after being stung £35 for a new sender unit unnecessarily...

·
Registered
278 Posts
looks very clever phippooo, Ive had this problem and the 'fuel-proof' sealant I used only lasted 3 months. You made the bits yourself right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes made them myself , i used stainless but i'm sure ali or steel would be fine i all so put o rings around the 4 mm screws but i'm sure a rubber gasget would work as well, i made mine at work , this could be made in your garage by hand out of piece of 5 mm material , a drill , file , and patience, would recommend drilling the 2 screw holes right through then befor tapping them use as a template to drill through the tank if you want to do this i will happily talk you through it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My tanks not had any leaks as yet but its a good bit info for if ever it does ..You not thought about selling them ? I would buy a set ...Or pass the sizes to someone else to make them on here ..(KevInYorks if he would be interested ) . I could make a set myself but its easier just to buy .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the dreaded fuel sensor leak and need to get my beloved 950SM on the road again. Did anyone else try phillippoo's fix and find that it worked? The tank is off and with a mate of mine who is good at this sort of thing, but before he fabricates plates and whatnot it would be useful to know that it's been tried and tested.

And Kernow - I've just noticed your pm (unforgivable) and have replied - so if you read this...!

Thanks

Edited to add - posted twice because I thought I was on the 950SM forum and when I couldn't see it posted again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts