KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my mitts on a 2004 625 SMC, unfortunately after giving it a good going over with plenty or buckets, sponges, scouring pads and degreaser it appears that the wheels have passed their best and could do with a coat of paint or powder coat plus some new (not rusty) spokes.

Can anyone recommend anyone around the essex/kent areas that do wheel builds?
what would anyone recommend in terms of painting or powder coating? I have been thinking of half black half orange but am wondering about the cost and suitability of either process.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Painted with 2 pack car paint and cured in an oven is tougher than powder coat in my experiance. Powder is good but brittle so when the tyre monkey fits the tyre it chips off. If you powder coat then masked the rim edges and polish them up, then they cant chip. Why not get some funky anodised alloy rims and hubs from Central wheel, moocho niceo!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
If the rims are pitted them anodising won't look as good.
Speak to Brokenlegs as I believe this is his bag...

·
Registered
446 Posts
definately do not anodise old rims, powder is the thickest coating but like i said 2pack paint oven cured is better, The 2 pack is actually a little flexible so wont chip as easily and will allow road stuff to hit it with a little give. Powder will just chip

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took a scotsh brite pad to them at work today, it got most of the crap off but left as you would expect a "brushed" type finish, i then gave them a wipe over in WD40 in the hope that they stay resonably clean until i clean the whole bike again. think i will just continue to do it this way until i can afford to sort something out. I know wheels take time to build and would beed new spokes etc but i do not have the money to give away to stretch to getting someone else to do it at the moment.

Thanks for your replies anyway, certainly given me more insight.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Painted with 2 pack car paint and cured in an oven is tougher than powder coat in my experiance. Powder is good but brittle so when the tyre monkey fits the tyre it chips off. If you powder coat then masked the rim edges and polish them up, then they cant chip. Why not get some funky anodised alloy rims and hubs from Central wheel, moocho niceo!
Good tip ................. or get a polishing kit from www.thepolishingshop.co.uk Standard Polishing Kits

You should then be able to get them back looking like new without too much hard effort. Personally I rather like highly polished rims - rather than the current fad for anodised black rims.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i was in the same boat did the same thing with the sponge pad then polished still shite just got my wheels back from brokenlegs wot a difference well worth the cash

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts