KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2014 SMCR 690, it has been serviced well, looked after and very much a "special occasion" bike than a commuter. It's only done around 8k miles.

Recently, whilst riding along, the cam chain snapped. I had the bike recovered to a local repair shop who has taken the engine apart to a certain level and the current list of broken bits includes the Cam Chain and most of the bits in that area and the Inlet valves and rockers. The oil has been drained and there are bits in there that shouldn’t so it’s looking like a full engine strip to get the lump running again. The mechanic said it likely went on the inlet stroke.

From what I have gathered this is just shit luck, many contributing factors could have led to this but none that will help me now however I am interested to find out the why.

I wanted to know if this type of failure is common? There seem to be lots of posts about noisy rattling engines and some point to chain stretching or inefficient chain tensioners but it seems like these were picked up before a failure.

I realise that this bike is well over its 2 yr warranty however I thought it might be worth getting in touch with KTM to discuss how this may have happened with a bike with such low mileage and if they have any others with the same, just for informational purposes, I wasn’t expecting them to repair the bike. I send them an email and I tried to give them a call but have had no reply yet. I tried chatting to the guys on the stand at the Weston Bike Race last weekend but they were so dismissive I left feeling like they just didn’t care and had no interest. I guess this would be like walking into a Ford garage and saying this 5yr old car has broken, what are you gonna do about it but I would have expected a response from KTM at least.

Now comes the difficult decision of repair or sell, I was in the showroom looking at replacement bikes the day before this happened so I was well down the road to selling so I think a repair (whether that’s an engine swap or parts replace) is out because I am just putting money in the pockets of the person who buys it from me. So it’s a sell as is or break for parts. Has anyone broken one of these bikes before? I can't imagine I’m the first.

As for what to have next, I cant imagine I'm going to go near KTM for a while.

·
Registered
14,777 Posts
Rocker arm failure is an issue on these bikes, KTM changed the part from 2015 I believe as they wear our prematurely, but never heard of them having cam chain issues. I would get it rebuilt and the sell it / trade it in, shot happens with mechanical things

1 - 2 of 2 Posts