KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bikes been blowing a little smoke on cold starts recently. smoke is dark fuel smoke from being a bit rich or there might be a little bit of white in it, being oil, which i dont know whether i should be concerned about or not.
its only when i use the choke from cold start. so i was thinking its from the choke running rich. or oil from the case vent into the carb and burning off. the oil could be from overfilling or worn rings?? the oil is a bit high i will admit. maybe half way up the sight glass when cold, and nearly at the top when hot.
i will change the oil tomoz and see if that helps, but any other suggestions are welcome.
i really hope it doesnt need a rebuild. i am unsure of the hours tho and who knows how it was treated before i bought it.

01 520exc

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
bikes been blowing a little smoke on cold starts recently. smoke is dark fuel smoke from being a bit rich or there might be a little bit of white in it, being oil, which i dont know whether i should be concerned about or not.
its only when i use the choke from cold start. so i was thinking its from the choke running rich. or oil from the case vent into the carb and burning off. the oil could be from overfilling or worn rings?? the oil is a bit high i will admit. maybe half way up the sight glass when cold, and nearly at the top when hot.
i will change the oil tomoz and see if that helps, but any other suggestions are welcome.
i really hope it doesnt need a rebuild. i am unsure of the hours tho and who knows how it was treated before i bought it.

01 520exc
Should be OK for now just keep your eye on it and keep her well maintained, if it gets noticeably worse then it will need attention. Keep watching the oil level fo changes to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
changed the needle and main jet to a jd kit. the richness has made it possible to not use the choke to start. smoke is gone. pretty sure now, it was fuel smoke from the richness of using the choke to start

1 - 4 of 4 Posts