KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Question; I'm playing with the suspension on my SM-T, I had the 'sport' settings recommended by KTM dialled in which weren't too bad.
Assuming the preload is set ok does anyone have better settings for compression and rebound??
The only settings I could find on this forum were for SMR - but I'm not sure if the suspenders on the two bikes are the same.
I ride all kind of roads, but was hoping to optimise the settings for B-roads.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 2010 990 SMR, I weight 84 kg wet (with gear ready to race).

I have static sag with me on board of 50 mm front and 42 mm rear.

From the comfort settings I have,

Front Compression damping is two more out (so softer), rebound is two back in (so firmer)

Rear LS Compression damping is two more in (so firmer), HS Compression damping is 2.25 turn out, rebound is two more (so firmer)

We have a lot of steps and ledges in our roads thus I run it slightly softer, I had less compression damping in the fork but this was very detrimental to the rear tire wear causing a lot more wheel spin thus ripping it off very quickly.

These settings I am very happy with, upping the compression damping on the rear to the above means the bike now settles and suspends evenly rather than rocking (which fuks tyres)

First thing first is set your static sag with rider ready to race then adjust everything else to your riding style and road conditions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andi I'll give that a go.

The alternate settings I'd seen wound the pre-load right off the front - that didn't seem correct somehow. I wasn't sure if the SMR had uprated or different shocks and forks to the SMT.

Peter

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wasn't sure if the SMR had uprated or different shocks and forks to the SMT.

Peter
Heya Peter

The SMR was very firm in the front when I got it, I have removed the 13 mm of nylon preload spacers as the spring was under a lot of pressure even wound right out thus I could not achieve static sag, now the bike is perfect.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi,

Question; I'm playing with the suspension on my SM-T, I had the 'sport' settings recommended by KTM dialled in which weren't too bad.
Assuming the preload is set ok does anyone have better settings for compression and rebound??
The only settings I could find on this forum were for SMR - but I'm not sure if the suspenders on the two bikes are the same.

Many thanks.
The smr has longer travel suspension than the touring orientated smt dunno if thats relevant to your question :confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,

Many thanks.
playe

·
Registered
153 Posts
The smr has longer travel suspension than the touring orientated smt
That is incorrect actually, they are both the same travel front and rear.

The SMR fork spring is .5N/mm firmer than the SMT out of the box, the air spring/oil height is 10 mm shorter on the SMR (for more sport mode) than the SMT.

What weight are you Peter ready to race with ya lid and gear on.?

The rear shock is exactly the same unit SMR to SMT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The rear shock is exactly the same unit SMR to SMT.
The SMR shock has completely different valving/dampening giving the rear end a firmer feel. The SMT is very guilty of squatting under acceleration and can be a bit wollowy, try increasing the preload to achieve 15mm of static sag.

I have Akars, weigh 80kg including kit and find the below settings much better, but I'm planning to have the rear shock re valved mid way between SMR/SMT over the winter.

Forks
Preload: 3 turns in
Comp: 18 clicks out
Rebound: 20 clicks out

Shock
Static sag: 14mm (std 20mm)
Low speed comp: 16 clicks out
High speed comp: 1.5 turns out
Rebound: 10 clicks out

·
Registered
153 Posts
The SMT is very guilty of squatting under acceleration and can be a bit wollowy
I reckon it was set the other way on a direct comparo for the SMT luggage capacity but we never confirmed it, also squatting is much more a function from lack of spring preload rather than damping.

Squatting can be easily tuned/adjusted out with correct spring preload and damping, he has his SMT LS compression damping slightly firmer than mine (by way of his riding preference and style) and has no problem at all with squat, even when him, mum and their luggage are on board he gives it a few more clicks on LS compression damping and it works well.

Doesn't slow him down one bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

Many thanks.
I've these settings on my SMT

Front:
Rebound&Compression damping, on Sport setting
Preload is still on standard (static sag was ok)

Rear:
Rebound&Compression damping, on Sport setting
Preload 13mm (standard is 11mm)

Tire Pressure: Front 2.4 Rear 2.7

My weight is 95kg (with gear)

Rear chicken line none, front a couple of mm:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andi,

I'm around the same mass as yourself, with gear on, maybe 1 or 2kgs less - so nothing in it that a family sized pizza couldn't fix.

I've put full titanium cans on the back, so lost just over 6kgs from under the seat, that helped alot!!

So setting up rear pre-load sounds important - that's weight supported under the engine or swingarm pivot point (maximum extension) to amount of compression of the spring with yours truly sat on the thing??

Thanks for all the input chaps.

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts