KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bike back from Sideways after my second dead battery incident whilst out riding. They "fixed" my problem by charging the dead battery and inserting a plug to create loop in the wiring where there had never been a plug before so I was prety sure that that wasn't going to make much difference.
Been out today for a couple of hundred miles and the battery is red hot/split/boiling/whistling. Back to the dealers again then! 3rd time in 4 weeks.
Lets hope they get to the bottom of it this time.Falling out of love with it at the moment!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Knackered regulator / rectifier would be my bet mate.

Happened once on my old TDM and my VFR... Ask the dealers if they've checked that.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently if the rectifier is knackered they get red hot.Mines ok.With battery problems I would of thought that would of been the first things to check.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The first thing they should off done at the dealers is check the charging rate.....definately regulator/rectifer.....and it could off screwed the battery as the plates buckle and warp when they are over charged or a long time

·
Registered
215 Posts
Apparently if the rectifier is knackered they get red hot.

Not necessarily

Mines ok.With battery problems I would of thought that would of been the first things to check.
Don't assume anything from dealers. It will be the rectifier / regulator I'm sure. And you're battery will probably be knackered I'm afraid.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Mmmm ............... did the 'technician' on the job learn his electrical diagnostic skills whilst flipping burgers in a lay-by caravan?

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Hmmm. maybe it was sideways who stripped the bolt on my cam covers....
Yep, reg-rect (and now battery) fooked.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going to see if I can get it back to AMS so they can have a proper look at it. If I get it recovered its got to go back to Fowlers as they are closest. If AMS have got a bike I can have for a couple of days I'll see if I can ride it back up there.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Going to see if I can get it back to AMS so they can have a proper look at it. If I get it recovered its got to go back to Fowlers as they are closest. If AMS have got a bike I can have for a couple of days I'll see if I can ride it back up there.
Yea the blokes at AMS seem to know what there doing , not heard anything bad about them .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Definitely - the regulator is fooked and is supplying too high a voltage and the battery is boiling from being overcharged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts