KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go on my first touring on SMT.
I'll start it 22nd of May and it will last around 6-9 days.
Here is my route: Liberec (my city)-Bologna-Firenze-Florac(Parc National des Cevennes - France)-Freiburg-Liberec

Thats almost 3.5k kilometers.
I'm planning to go with my tent and sleeping bag.
Any recomendations where to stay, what to see and what to eat? :)
Maybe somebody want to join me on this trip?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I'm going to go on my first touring on SMT.
I'll start it 22nd of May and it will last around 6-9 days.
Here is my route: Liberec (my city)-Bologna-Firenze-Florac(Parc National des Cevennes - France)-Freiburg-Liberec

Thats almost 3.5k kilometers.
I'm planning to go with my tent and sleeping bag.
Any recomendations where to stay, what to see and what to eat? :)
Maybe somebody want to join me on this trip?
Ducati factorytour and Museum in Bologna ? Mind you they might set fire to the SMT if you left it parked outside for too long...........

http://www.ducati.com/company/visit_us/index.do

:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are missing out a lot of the Alps ... why??
Bugger Lyon and Dijon and hit the French Alps ... the passes might be open end of May ( though it is bloody freezing here at the minute)
And at Trento , turn left and head up to Stelvio and hack that way into Austria

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I agree with the above post. Your roads from Nice and back up are quite major ones and you are missing a lot of roads that would be a lot more fun to ride. I'd be inclined to head due north on the route des grande alpes from Nice to Geneve. There are also great roads west of Geneve and in the Jura region north of Geneve. Stop off in Annecy (my nearest city). It's lovely and from there, criss cross some of the major cols (col des Aravis, Col du Colombierre etc). Also, between Savona and Nice, on the Italian Riviera is a lovely little town called Finale Ligura and Finale Boldo. Lots of character and way cheaper than the French towns just a bit futher along the coast. I'd make that a stop-off point if it fits your itenery. Also lots of great roads to explore in the hills to the north of there as there are too all the way along that stretch of coast. Id you want sea views alon that stretch, avoid the scary motorway and use the route corniche instead.

I envy you your trip!!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Grenoble - Gap - Grasse and down to the coast/riviera - great riding. Turin up to Aosta and over (not through the tunnel) the top of the St Bernard Pass - another superb bike ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been quite a big snow year this year and it has been snowing at 1600m this week, so the Gran (and Petit) St Bernard pass may not open until mid June. But you can check this online.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Grenoble - Gap - Grasse and down to the coast/riviera - great riding
Absolutely! I live in Grasse and did that road (Google "Route Napoleon") a few times, it will be much much nicer than what you are planning. There are beautiful roads around your waypoint D, but getting there may be a drag.

Also, the road following the Mediterranean is a bit boring too IMHO

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with all of the above.
Drive down from Karlsruhe straight through the Black Forest, take a bit of Switserland and pass from there to Geneva and France.
You're also taking the lamest pass (Brenner) into Austria. and you're soo close to the Grossglockner (east of Innsbruck) it would be a shame not to go over it!
Granted, it's early yet and there might be quite some snow still...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stay away from the A5 (E of the Rhine)...either go through the Black Forest or on the other side by Strassbourg (follow the W of the Rhine). Look just West of Colmar and there is a great biking region called the Vosges. Nice old mountains (rounded tops, flowing roads). Agree with everything said above esp. look at the Verdun Gorges and Route Napoleon and French Alps.

Consider any time spent on highways as a mistake...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all I'd like to thank all the people who replied on my thread!
I appreciate your comments very much and if anybody would be visiting Czech Republic just let me know and I'll take care of your trip so it would be truly "orange" :) !!
Second, answering the most popular question over here: Why am I missing the Alps? The answer is very easy: weather. I'm not sure the passes are all open 'cause of this winter and if there is not snowing over there. I just don't want to get stuck frozen somewhere there. Plus I was planning another trip specially to the Alps, but probably in the end of the June or mid July, but for this there is going to be a special thread :666:
The city I live in is located in the mountains and an average temprature is still around +10, that's the main reason I planned to head to the south :) I'm tired "a little bit" of this neverending winter, so if I get to the snowy Alps again I'm gonna die there :rolleyes:
Also, about the map I provided: this is not the exact route I was planning to go, this only the aproximate "geography" of my trip, just to see from where to where.
Thanks a lot for the tip to the Napoleon Route!!! I'm very interested of the history so this might be very exciting route and I'll change "Parc National des Cevennes" destination to this one.
While I was googling for the Napoleon Route I found this web-site, I think somebody might find it useful, so I couldnt miss a chance to post it here :)
And the last thing, I was planning to use major roads only in Czech, everywhere else only minor :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I agree with the above post. Your roads from Nice and back up are quite major ones and you are missing a lot of roads that would be a lot more fun to ride. I'd be inclined to head due north on the route des grande alpes from Nice to Geneve. There are also great roads west of Geneve and in the Jura region north of Geneve. Stop off in Annecy (my nearest city). It's lovely and from there, criss cross some of the major cols (col des Aravis, Col du Colombierre etc). Also, between Savona and Nice, on the Italian Riviera is a lovely little town called Finale Ligura and Finale Boldo. Lots of character and way cheaper than the French towns just a bit futher along the coast. I'd make that a stop-off point if it fits your itenery. Also lots of great roads to explore in the hills to the north of there as there are too all the way along that stretch of coast. Id you want sea views alon that stretch, avoid the scary motorway and use the route corniche instead.

I envy you your trip!!
thanks for the clue, im gonna those points for sure, must very cool!
dont envy - just join :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts