KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
On rebuildikg this bike replacing ever bolt one of the last things on the engine was to tighten up the sprocket bolt to squish the washer so used the battery windy gun and its gone and snapped the new bolt sick is very much a understatement idk what to do just bloody put all the engine in the frame lol any ideas without the cases or engine out...馃槶馃槶馃槶

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
A havent touched it yet but no i didnt put any loctite on it but it came with factory loctite stuff on athink it was yellow probs be better thn normal loctite馃槶

Registered
Anti-clockwise drill bit should take it out. You should be able to find them on ebay or Amazon. Get a set of 3 or more, start small. If the first dosnt take it out the next size up will.

Premium Member
Ive heard good things about them but they are only 8mm hex, Ive got the old school ones. Dill a hole and even slightly oversized flat blade will get it out. Start wanking with the other hand and let your right fist turn back to normal.

Premium Member
I鈥檝e used those at work and they鈥檙e pretty good. If there鈥檚 locktight it might be worth warming it up a bit but don鈥檛 get it too hot and melt the oil seal.

Rattle guns are for undoing things, it鈥檚 impossible to know how much torque you鈥檙e applying. The washer is not supposed to completely flatten.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I鈥檝e used those at work and they鈥檙e pretty good. If there鈥檚 locktight it might be worth warming it up a bit but don鈥檛 get it too hot and melt the oil seal.

Rattle guns are for undoing things, it鈥檚 impossible to know how much torque you鈥檙e applying. The washer is not supposed to completely flatten.
Ano was my bad i tighened it best i could by hand but the washer was still loose which i thort was ment to be compressed alittle but over done it lol

Registered
Be very very careful using extractors. Bolts you can drill out in ever increasing sizes and the last bit can be tapped out. In your case it shouldn't be in there too solid but I've had people come to me with snapped off extractors before - its a nightmare, as extractors are very hard and cannot be drilled out. Just slightly too much force can snap an extractor, especially the cheaper ones as they are brittle from making them hard.

Registered
Get someone who knows what there doing !

Reactions: Set and enduro boy

Registered
I've used these a few times, but not for that bolt. What I like is you don't have to use a dot punch, the cutter end is very sharp and runs counter clockwise. It's usually enough to remove the part, partic as said if you use some heat from a gun to warm up the threadlock. Most important thing is to use a drill (battery one best) as slow as it will turn and don't be tempted to speed up as it bites in. patience is a virtue. Good luck with it.

Premium Member
Ano was my bad i tighened it best i could by hand but the washer was still loose which i thort was ment to be compressed alittle but over done it lol
So a washer missing? Clean all the red iron oxide off too, I use a bit of grease to prevent corrosion. Some use the non set loctite gasket.

Registered
Well atleast exc doesnt have nut like smc, would wanna hop into abyss if i snapped that thread :D But like others pointed, you can try extraction thingy, one other is like said, try to turn it with something. One another thing you could do is take flathead screwdriver and punch it few times gently with hammer or something so it digs just a tiny bit into the bolt and see if you can turn it out like that. Also when tapping the bolt the threadlock might give up just a lil bit :)

Registered
I suppose in essence it's probably a relatively straightforward job in the right hands...............or an absolute cunt of a job in the wrong hands. Depends on your skill set and confidence I guess. If you're unsure, take it to someone who knows their onions, and ask if you can watch and learn for next time !;). Good luck, keep us posted !

1 - 20 of 38 Posts