KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Does anyone hate, like me, the snatchy throttle on the latest 690 Duke?

It's absolutely fine once about 30mph beyond 2nd gear, i'd say. But in 1st and 2nd, around town, stop-start stuff, it's absolutely appauling. The initial opening of the throttle between "none" and "some" is jerky, and once it's open, at low engine speeds it's lumpy and unpredictable.

Get it about 3k RPM and all is fine and I love the motor again.

I had mine dynoed and the result from this one chap was that it was lean as fcuk at the bottom end. He offered to tune it using some homebrew linux thing that he wanted to put into my ECU ... not sure I want someone's random code running in my safety critical electronic throttle controller!

Has anyone had theirs tuned to be nicer to ride?

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi
Assuming everything still works the same as a 690smc have you done a throttle reset on it?
And not sure if you have on duke's but check what fuel setting your on!!
On the smc you can adjust the fuel settings to track/standard/crap fuel.

Mine was jerky as buggery when i got it and once i did the throttle reset i loved it again.

Tune Ecu if you want to do maps yourself.
pretty easy to do if follow correct procedures.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could you do a straight pipe map on Tune ECU? I want to get the cat out of my 12 Duke but the only official maps for straight pipes are also for the aggy cam which I don't have.

·
Registered
515 Posts
all I know is what is on the tune ecu site and a few imported custom maps for ktm.
If you can't find what you need on there then an aftermarket pipe might be needed.
Cat was housed inside of standard can on smc so not able to get to.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi all

It's absolutely fine once about 30mph beyond 2nd gear, i'd say. But in 1st and 2nd, around town, stop-start stuff, it's absolutely appauling. The initial opening of the throttle between "none" and "some" is jerky, and once it's open, at low engine speeds it's lumpy and unpredictable.

Stop-start around town is not the Duke's favourite playground. I've found that some judicious clutch slipping is the way to deal with these conditions. I don't think that a big single is ever going to be as good as a multi-cylinder in those conditions no matter how much you mess with the EFI.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Hi all

I had mine dynoed and the result from this one chap was that it was lean as fcuk at the bottom end. He offered to tune it using some homebrew linux thing that he wanted to put into my ECU ... not sure I want someone's random code running in my safety critical electronic throttle controller!

Has anyone had theirs tuned to be nicer to ride?

Cheers
Rich
When I had mine dyno'ed last year the dyno operator noticed exactly the same thing. The 2 parts of the KTM efi maps are the reason for the 'on off' nature of the throttle. I've always ridden singles so never had the luxury of a silky smooth multi-cylinder throttle feel. I've done various things to my SMC over the last couple of years and nothing really completely cured it until about 2 months ago. I fitted one of these and it feels great: O2 Controller link

It bypasses the low rev/low speed lean part of the map to fool the ECU into just running just the second part. It is being sold by an Australian guy who has very good history with making these devices for lots of other makes and models. It might be worth contacting him to see it this mod id compatible with the 690 Duke.

·
Administrator
9,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
I bought the G2 ergonomics full throttle cam kit direct from G2 when they had the discount; all in £62 rather than the £108 from ktm.

no import tax etc (lucky? who knows)

I use the kit on my smoker, but they do the kit for lots of different bikes.

I know that they have been used on the 990 to good effect.

have a look at doing that.

when I had my 690 in 2007, I found that taking slack out of the throttle and putting a 16 on the front made a slight improvement, then a remap from the dealer made it 98% ok.

·
Registered
311 Posts
you could check to see if you have the correct map selected on your map switch under the rear pillion seat.....pull the rubber cover off and make sure you've got the correct setting selected the number needs to align with the mark on the outer casing....there are 9 settings........1 is normal road settings soft.......2 is race setting (on off throttle response)......3>9 are variations of the road settings.....oh don't forget your my13 Duke 690 is fly by wire so changing the throttle tube cam (you can't anyway) will do nothing

haha "maramind"....RBW.....I just twigged.....ride by wire.....Fly by wire (what a dunce)......might be true in some cases......LMAO :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi, fit kevs O2 mod, it richens the mixture and takes minutes to fit. I fitted mine a few months ago, makes the bike stacks better to ride. I have Kevs O2 mod and his fuel mod with a decat pipe, DNA filter cover, end can and 15 tooth front sprocket and my bike rides so much better than standard. Mines a 2013 model.

2012> 690 SD O2 controller mod. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

Reactions: Crispy

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Hi, fit kevs O2 mod, it richens the mixture and takes minutes to fit. I fitted mine a few months ago, makes the bike stacks better ti ride. I have Kevs O2 mod and his fuel mod with a decat pipe, DNA filter cover, end can and 15 tooth front sprocket and my bike rides so much better than standard. Mines a 2013 model.
This is the mod I was talking about! It's bloody genius....don't get it mixed up with the cheap O2 bypass plugs that don't work.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes Crispy, can't agree more. It really is superb, it fools the ecu into adding more fuel and it then smooths out a lot of the 3000 to 4000 revs snatching when riding through town. Cost is only about £80 delivered and takes no fitting at all, a couple of plugs and cable ties. The fuel mod is great too you just dial how much fuel you want and it richens the mixture. My bike pulls like a bugger through the gears and is much smoother too.

Reactions: Crispy

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Then get the Fresco link pipe to get rid of the cat and add DNA stage 1 & 2 air filters + load the Akra map.

Runs way better now and puls a lot stronger from any part of the rev range.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes Crispy, can't agree more. It really is superb, it fools the ecu into adding more fuel and it then smooths out a lot of the 3000 to 4000 revs snatching when riding through town. Cost is only about £80 delivered and takes no fitting at all, a couple of plugs and cable ties. The fuel mod is great too you just dial how much fuel you want and it richens the mixture. My bike pulls like a bugger through the gears and is much smoother too.
I agree to, it's made a lot of difference. It does knock the fuel consumption quite a bit so I've arranged my wiring so it's easy swap over if I want to do a longer journey. Great bit of kit though.

Now I need to look at this link pipe I'm desperate to get rid of the cat.

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Both the 2012 onwards Dukes I've ridden have had incredibly smooth throttle response for a single, so much better than the previous Duke it surprised me a lot and I liked it so much I bought one (replacing my 2010 Duke R). I've always been lucky with my FI KTMS (had 3 now) in that they have never exhibited any tendency to stall or any really snatchy throttles but the new one is so much nicer fueling than the older model. I put this down to the twin spark arrangement providing better combustion lower down in the rev range. Don't get me wrong, these are not as smooth around town as a 4 cylinder and asking it to rev cleanly below 3k rpm might be where things are going wrong for you..

Have you looked at this page which, although it was written for the older FI KTMs may have some helpful information on it?

MonoManiacs : Tnt Stalling and throttle issues

Part 4 of the tips talks about getting the dealer to raise the idle or load CO settings. I suspect this is broadly equivalent of some of the fueling boxes which can be fitted to the bike. If you watch this unboxing video of a new Superduke 1290 R at 4 min 46 secs the screen shows you the CO adjustment during idle and CO adjustment under full load options which your dealer can tweak if you ask them nicely. Only use small steps mind, they will have an effect, in fact when I tried it on my first FI bike (out of curiosity rather than to cure an issue) I ran out of petrol one night because it was using more (got only to 25 miles on reserve whereas normally 28 was doable, so I was sailing close to the wind.

KTM SUPERDUKE 1290 R Part 2: Setup diagnostic & start - YouTube

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bill

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree to, it's made a lot of difference. It does knock the fuel consumption quite a bit so I've arranged my wiring so it's easy swap over if I want to do a longer journey. Great bit of kit though.

Now I need to look at this link pipe I'm desperate to get rid of the cat.
Is it the fuel mod, or the 02 mod makes a difference to fuel?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts