KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've fancied a change for a while so I'm in the process of selling my Yamaha R1 and getting into greenlaning/riding around a field lol

I'm 27 with no previous experience of dirt bikes. I'm a complete novice.

So far I've been looking at the KTM 250 EXC? I'm 5'10 and 15 stone so I wasn't sure if this would be suitable?

I'm after a bike to ride at weekends to have a laugh on, I wont be doing any 'events' or anything like that! just riding around in the middle of no where getting really muddy! :)

Also is there a way I can find out where good areas to ride are? I live in Surrey.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
what year is your r1? i put my old x reg srad on swapz.com and got a 55 plate 625 smc swap for it! im 6' dead on and 15 stone and a 625 is bout spot on for me, i can hold the front down when wanted or lean back and itl lift! 250 on the road after an r1 will feel slow i think i find my 625 felt slow at first but now iv learnt how corner better and got used to having loads of midrange rather than loads of top end wallop i love it! you going supermoto or crosser style?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2001 Y reg.. never really thought about swapping it I was going to sell it then buy a new one.

I've been looking at the KTM EXC 250's, that's classed as crosser style isn't it? lol... so clueless! :)

I wasn't sure if 690 would be too much for a 1st dirt bike?

I'll only ride it on the road for a max of about 3 miles just to get to the fields near me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
thats exactly what got me onto smc, slowed me down on road. ive got slicks on mine atm tho so not been off road much. had a blast on some gravel and was suprised how nicely it dragged till i hit grass and mud then it was all over the place!! exc is crosser style yes. the 525 seem be pretty popular choice, after a r1 i dare say most of them will feel pretty tame tbh. they only go as fast as ya tell em to! most the exc's will be pretty light id have thought. i had a kx500 as my last off road crosser though so cant really comment as a first bike. there mostly the same though just stick ya weight over the front and let it have it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think the KTM 250 EXC will have enough in it even though I'm 15 stone? Or should I go for a bit more power?

·
Registered
165 Posts
i swapped this

for this

theres plenty of folk that were interested aswell, seems people slow down for a bit then wanna go fast again lol iv said il have another sports bike eventually but its be a second bike. love the feeling of moto style

·
Registered
165 Posts
id need an adpater for this model, but theres a few that dont from what iv read, i looked at smaller first but i knew id ride roads aswell so i went for something with top end aswell, mine tops out at 110mph so plenty for roads and more than enough for off road, just need some offroad/ish tyres now! think most exc's have smc wheels that will fit. i saw a few with on/off road spare wheels in the sales.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I swapped my k1 gsxr 600 that wasnt even registered due to problems with the frame number. I did a straight swap for my 2004 ktm 250sx which i have now made road legal. Its no where near as fast on the road as my gixxer obviously but the thrill and the looks you get with the 2 stroke noise is a totally different feeling and i love it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like a decent swap! that KTM is really nice.

I like the idea of a 2 stroke so I think I'll go for the 250exc and see how it goes! :)

no idea what the top speed is but whatever it is I'll get there quickly if I ever do use it on the road lol!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help guys, I think it's definately got to be the KTM 250 EXC! :)

On another note does anyone know how to find greenlanes in Surrey?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Surrey you say. You don't need green lanes. Well anywhere that looks like this is suitable, just remove your number plate as they can break if you topple off.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Surrey you say. You don't need green lanes. Well anywhere that looks like this is suitable, just remove your number plate as they can break if you topple off.

Isn't that the reason why they are shutting more and more legal green lanes.
People taking off plates and going where they like?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
BTT, are you talking about 250 two stroke of four? 2t are a proper pokey weapon and the 4t is a clubman tool. worth to add 400exc into your search as I think thats probably a more satisfying bike for a novice to the dirt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been looking at the 250 2t? would you recommend a 400 4t instead?

I didn't really want to annoy anyone/get arrested so that was why I was looking for 'legal' green lanes lol

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
if you like the 2t, go for the 2t! try and have a go on some before you buy, I find the 200/2t more fun to ride than the bigger ones, more like riding a 125 thats pumped up on steroids than a sleeved down 250. some people really rave about the 300exc but I look at that bike and think of people like david knight getting the most out of them and all I'd do is plod around on it!

personally I like 4t better but thats just me, there are no rules to say you cant buy one bike and swap it 6 months after! oh and dont worry too much about size and weight, ktms exc all share virtually identical geometry you would be right on any of them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts