KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmh:Yes I know its a ktm forum but, I took my 999 for an oil change the mechanic ,a freind of mine, pulls the drain plug finds a mass of metal chips, says there somthing wrong here so, we tear the motor apart and find the small end bearing on the rear cylinder hasnt seized but its actually broken up, all the techs at the dealership have never seen anything like it, my buddy used to work on the Ducati race team and he couldnt belive it, it looks like a peice of broken porcelain thats the only way to describe it, its broken up in chunks, about $4200 in damage.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Ouch Ouch..................

·
Registered
629 Posts
how many miles? and has it been serviced regular?
IIRC there was an issue with some of the earlier engines not having been shimmed correctly (too tight).
May be worth getting in touch with long standing dealership to check out any previous claims/recalls.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Never heard of any problems or recalls like that with the 999/s or even r! So what did they think the bits were? The testastretta engines are very good as a rule. Stick up some pics if you like I have a mate that is 100% with Ducati motors not that your mate is not but he may have a clue or have seen it before.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a noise apparently that I could not distinguish but he heard, its got 9003 miles had the services at prescribed intervals and oilchange at every 3000 with good synthetic oil and Ducati filter, at the dealers it was at the dealers where my buddy works when they caught this noise, so while its down I think its looking like a lightend knife edged crank, a bit more compression and maybe a lightend flywheel too.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
well my mate had 3 motors in a 1098 in 18,000 mile but he did ride it hard(he now has a s1000rr as he was fed up and thats also put me off ducs)
i have to say though the 999's look nice though

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
well my mate had 3 motors in a 1098 in 18,000 mile but he did ride it hard(he now has a s1000rr as he was fed up and thats also put me off ducs)
i have to say though the 999's look nice though
I believe the 1098 has a crank problem, the 1198 is fine, a mate has a 999, its done 11,000 miles, its been rode hard but looked after, no problems at all, I have rode it quite a bit its a nice bike,

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive always been really happy with the bike never had any real problems, just right now I would just like to know the cause of this problem. anyhow Ill probably post some piccys up for Bikemad next week when I can get to the dealer and take some.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I know this is an old thread but I finally got some piccys today got the crank back with the new rods and high comp pistons, still not totally sure what did this though although we have some suspicions of a half arsed job by an ex ducati mechanic at the dealership.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hi mate, had a look at the pics and Oh yes...that will be it then... As you say I agree looks like heat/lack of oil that may have caused the problem, I would say that looking at the colour of the piston the motor may heve been a little rich but thats no big deal, I do not think Powercomander fail would/could cause the problem, maybe if your problem was a lean piston crown then I would say OK maybe the PC caused the it to fail. I think you may have just been unlucky, my advice would be get a twin cylinder map done after brake in and see how it looks on the AFR when on the dyno, I would say once remapped you'll be happy again.. Do you know history of engine and service, did the Duc have dialed cams or stock timing? I guess just the PC? What map, custom single/twin/general? Arthur

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the bike from new,always seviced at the dealers, PC was installed and both cylinders mapped by the same du mass who fitted the lightweight flywheel, which we believe could be the cause as, the bolts came loose and machined the back off the stator filling the motor with copper chips, which we found in the motor. By the way, knowing youve been round the race scene do you know my new mechanic Neil Freeman ex duc, ex kawi and ex honda? used to race on his own account in the UK. some years ago.

·
Registered
799 Posts
At least the motor will be sweet again mate! I know the name Freeman, but I don't know him personally sounds like he knows his stuff! Post up how it runs and some pics, I love the 999! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts