KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i can find this out supposedly on the KTM site with my login stuff but this does not allow for dealers logging the work as done but not actually doing it :eek:

Apparently the infamous 08 bikes were returned and had the gearbox etc. upgrades done before retail. I have seen posts on here about oil leaks and the oil dipstick being replaced with a screw in one, well mine is still the bayonet type, so has mine been "upgraded" ? i still have the mysterious oil leak running down the back of the sidestand (only now and again though:confused:)
Yesterday i was having trouble changing gear / false neutrals and the bugger stalled on a slow 90 deg right turn nearly pitchin me on the deck :mad: luckily no one behind me as i would have been tailended too :eek:
So how can i tell for certain all the stuff the dealer says has been done actually has ?

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Dunno

The dipstick tube wasn't an all '08 bikes mod', just something that was changed on bikes that were leaking from that area (mine's still on a bayonet type cap)

What sort of mileage have you got on the bike mate? And have you setup your gear linkage to suit the way you change gear? My bike suffered a few until setup to suit and had 1000 miles or so on the clock

·
Registered
180 Posts
I hit false neutral from time to time as well and I have a 2010 ;) NEVER had it happen on my old CBR.... hah and mine stalls too. The stalling issue is well known by KTM and the suggestions to stop it is first try the 15 min reset. That didn't work for me so now they are telling me to get it reflashed. I'm just waiting to get my JC exhaust and i'll flash it with the Akra map and hope it works

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has 1380 miles up Tony, will look at gear lever, sometimes it rides great other times like a pig, got the can comin so I hope that sorts some of the fuelin out :frown

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
the mods to the 08 as i remember, oil filler tube with screw cap, rear seat catch, gear mechanism internal modification, some bikes had to have camshafts and pistons(only a few). and now i hear the dash has to be calibrated, dont ask me to elaborate on that coz i dont no wot my dealer mean't.
big den, i no exactly wot you mean about sometimes it's great and other times not, mine feels the same, the missed gears are definatly related to the times when its running a bit rough imo. i just reset the ecu if i am going on a run and everthing is sweet. only have issues a few times commuting

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great answers guys, i have sold bikes for far less issues than i have with the RC but am determined to stick with it cos when its on form its better than any bike i have had before it and i have had a lot.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
and now i hear the dash has to be calibrated, dont ask me to elaborate on that coz i dont no wot my dealer mean't
I asked again yesterday mate but he got dragged on to another job before I got an answer

·
Registered
885 Posts
There was a software update for the dash unit sometime ago. I can't even remember why now, as for recalibrating, what is there to calibrate?? It takes the speed from the circumference of the front wheel.. What else could it be?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
only quoteing the words he used, he probably means a software upgrade

·
Registered
88 Posts
As far as I am aware, the recalibration on 08 models is just to increase the service interval mileage, as I believe it has increased since the release of the 08 model, mine was done last service after in came up on the status check. Took a few minutes.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
That makes sense mate

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm not sure it is that. They've just serviced mine and put a new service interval in which is wrong. I think it's set manually and you can do it yourself if you care to..

It's so long since it was done, but I think it went from having 1 to 2 trip counters. I think it also changed the way it records your reserve fuel usage - i.e. how many miles are left in the tank and how many miles you've done since the light came on.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
the mods to the 08 as i remember, oil filler tube with screw cap, rear seat catch, gear mechanism internal modification, some bikes had to have camshafts and pistons(only a few). and now i hear the dash has to be calibrated, dont ask me to elaborate on that coz i dont no wot my dealer mean't.
big den, i no exactly wot you mean about sometimes it's great and other times not, mine feels the same, the missed gears are definatly related to the times when its running a bit rough imo. i just reset the ecu if i am going on a run and everthing is sweet. only have issues a few times commuting
Could that be to rectify the reported 178 mph ??

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yep the service interval can be set manually. Mine went in today for its second service 4.5K miles. I'm not worried if its early it could do with it .

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I asked again yesterday mate but he got dragged on to another job before I got an answer
Pretty sure it relates to the increased service intervals - originally dash unit was programmed to tell you it needed a service every 5,000 (or whatever) miles and the recalibration was to adjust it to tell you it was due a service every 7,000 (or whatever) miles (don't quote me on the numbers guys !)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sometimes on mine when I turn the ignition on the dash doesnt start up and I have to turn it off and on again once or twice to get it to start up. Also have had a few false neutrals, the first time was at a track day which was the first time I had really pushed it, got quite a few netrals in the first couple of sessions and then none for the rest of the day, I think I slightly changed the way I was changing gear. I've had a few on the road, they seem to come in groups, get none for ages thern get a few in the space of a couple of hours. Its not a nice feeling chaning down for a corner, getting neutral and rolling into a corner with no engine braking!

·
Registered
324 Posts
"Dont forget the compulsary respray of all white bikes to the faster orange....."PMSL:rotflmao::rotflmao::burnout:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sometimes on mine when I turn the ignition on the dash doesnt start up and I have to turn it off and on again once or twice to get it to start up. Also have had a few false neutrals, the first time was at a track day which was the first time I had really pushed it, got quite a few netrals in the first couple of sessions and then none for the rest of the day, I think I slightly changed the way I was changing gear. I've had a few on the road, they seem to come in groups, get none for ages thern get a few in the space of a couple of hours. Its not a nice feeling chaning down for a corner, getting neutral and rolling into a corner with no engine braking!
False neutrals will reduce with mileage on your bike....i had regular ones in 3rd and 4th gear up til 1000/1500 miles very little since now approaching 4300 miles, may be grease build up on sprockets aiding changes? Adjusting gear change linkage certainly worked to find the sweet spot on changes, i still have std peg setup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts