KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All hope you're keeping well and safe

The Somerset TRF are running their Exmoor Day on 2nd of May, tickets limited to 250 and around (150 gone already)

We're using a woods at Coombe Sydenham which really does have something for everyone, an easy main loop around 4 to 6 miles long (we've not decided yet) and a load of options including river runs, enduro single track and of course the ever entertaining Bramble's hill climb.

We have a Covid management plan in place to ensure social distancing etc

Its one of the best forests the TRF use.

Usual rules about using a trials rear tyre and being member of the TRF apply.

Catering will be onsite as well

You can get tickets here:

Its going to be great to run another event in these woods

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Im on beast behavoir too 😆 no swearing 😇 what july event? I dont go on fb cant stand it..but i do miss events ☹

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Nearly missed this better get an entry in as everything seems to fill up like glastonbury lately

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Im on beast behavoir too no swearing what july event? I dont go on fb cant stand it..but i do miss events
They have another event in July. Facebook is only used by me to hear about events. None of that friending bollocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
They have another event in July. Facebook is only used by me to hear about events. None of that friending bollocks!

July one is sold out coombe florey I seem to remember it's not as good a venue as the ones run from raleghs cross

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
July one is sold out coombe florey I seem to remember it's not as good a venue as the ones at raleghs cross
Raleighs cross is the car park , I’ve never been to a poor venue and I’ve been to them all

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
We’re also booked in for the July event! Some of the best riding spots in the uk I think!
The Exmoor days are amazing and definitely the best land we have in the SW. The one in July is more like an enduro track but is quite technical and has some fun bits. Still worth the trip I guess but it's not on the same level as a good Exmoor day.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The Exmoor days are amazing and definitely the best land we have in the SW. The one in July is more like an enduro track but is quite technical and has some fun bits. Still worth the trip I guess but it's not on the same level as a good Exmoor day.
Yeah I can’t remember it tbh, must’ve been as we’ve been on them for years.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Why do the TRF insist on trials tyres for riding in woods?

would love to go to other places more, but seems TRF just make things difficult, only found out about events after they happened in TRF magazine.

in one years membership I was offered just one ride out.

did not rejoin.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts

would love to go to other places more, but seems TRF just make things difficult, only found out about events after they happened in TRF magazine.

did not rejoin.
Trials tyres do about 1/10th the damage (if that) of knobblies and for the Somerset TRF venues which are quite technical, they actually are a better choice. I would run one even if it was any tyre. The exmoor venues are definitely worth protecting.

WRT being "offered" a ride or missing events, with the TRF, you seem to get out as much as you put in but then each county/club is unique and has their own way of doing things.

I pay to join the TRF so that I can go to the 2-4 Somerset TRF days per year, but never do trail riding. The Somerset TRF are a really good bunch of blokes so I've no problem paying the membership and supporting their events. As a bonus, the events are always extremely good.

·
Registered
745 Posts

did not rejoin.
That’s because your a cunt and knowone likes you

Nothing to do with the Trf!!!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That’s because your a cunt and knowone likes you

Nothing to do with the Trf!!!!
Ah, that's handy to know.

As is the Trials Tyres, I assume that grip must be reduced or are Enduro Tyres just designed to rip up ground whilst not gripping?

Very few trails near me anyway, so even the one I did was about 80 miles of tarmac with 10-15 miles of trails, cannot blame TRF for lack of Green Lanes around here, but the reality is membership is a bit pointless for me as all is on offer is a load of road miles with a few lanes.

I regularly ride with buddies who are closer to lots of good trails, costs me nothing to join them for a day, and I do a few Enduro practice days a year, sounds like you really need to live in the right place for it to be worth it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ah, that's handy to know.

As is the Trials Tyres, I assume that grip must be reduced or are Enduro Tyres just designed to rip up ground whilst not gripping?

Very few trails near me anyway, so even the one I did was about 80 miles of tarmac with 10-15 miles of trails, cannot blame TRF for lack of Green Lanes around here, but the reality is membership is a bit pointless for me as all is on offer is a load of road miles with a few lanes.

I regularly ride with buddies who are closer to lots of good trails, costs me nothing to join them for a day, and I do a few Enduro practice days a year, sounds like you really need to live in the right place for it to be worth it.
I do a good few rides a year with trf, there is a lot of road in between them , but that’s just the way it is, first two years of membership, I got two rides in !
I think for £55 a year it’s worth it .

I joined WOR this year, but not managed to go yet, they get booked up early also.!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Trials tyres find grip through having a soft compound and carcass that deforms to the profile of the terrain and thereby maximise the contact area of the grippy compound. Enduro knobbies have a softish compound but much stiffer carcass and tend to rely on digging into the dirt to create traction. Then the Maxxis Trialmaxx is a piss take as it has a super soft compound and carcass and wider spaced knobs so it is as good as a trials tyre but then is far better in mud than it has any right to be.

Obviously, in mud, a trials tyre is generally shit, but the Somerset TRF days are generally in amazing woodland with loads of roots, some rocky bits, river runs etc. that actually favour the trials tyre. Of course, there's a compromise, and you don't have side knobs so flat cornering is different, but then the days aren't flat out racing.

90% of people that struggle have about 15PSI in the tyre so it just doesn't work.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Maxxis trials tyre is awesome! Amazing the hills you can get up in exmoor! Just can’t go slinging it round sideways!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
...and the real reason we require trials tyres - the landowner is very particular about who he allows on the land, and for us he made rear trials tyre compulsory a condition simple as that. Others that use the land are very restricted to numbers (less than 10) or dates. We decided that a trials tyre and a couple of hundred riders is best way to have a good event.

And tickets are nearly all gone!

If you join Somerset TRF we have a forum where rides are posted well in advance and you get advanced waning of the events (and the opportunity to come to the woods a day early and help set up). We also use proceeds to buy and sell club stock at trade prices (tyres, pads, oils etcetc)...and we also arrange club trips abroad (and you do have to pay for them contrary to popular rumour) <<Advert Ends :rolleyes:>>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts