KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, feel a bit of a prat but what can you do under the circumstances.
down a B road and there's a sharp left hander followed 200yds later by sharp right hander.
comes round left hander and see a cyclist (proper helmet lycra et cetera) on opposite side half way along the straight.
looming into view round oncoming corner is a big silver 4x4 (lexus thing?) doing a fair rate of knots (this being a 30 and a place where 2 buses can't pass without one full on pavement).
i'm not able to give room for him but i think- "he's got to slow stop cos of the bike"....No, at last minute he sees bike and swerves onto my side of road.
no chance to swerve, i do the natural thing and give a beautiful short sharp punch to the mirror which is now lined up between the bikes throttle and the mirror - it would have passed over my hand on the throttle.
knew straight away that something had broken so didn't bother stopping and drove straight to hospital.
reported to police but the twunt hasn't come forward.
last sight was his mirror (heated, lights, electric et cetera??) tossing 20ft in the air.
I come away with broken meta summat.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
well, feel a bit of a prat but what can you do under the circumstances.
down a B road and there's a sharp left hander followed 200yds later by sharp right hander.
comes round left hander and see a cyclist (proper helmet lycra et cetera) on opposite side half way along the straight.
looming into view round oncoming corner is a big silver 4x4 (lexus thing?) doing a fair rate of knots (this being a 30 and a place where 2 buses can't pass without one full on pavement).
i'm not able to give room for him but i think- "he's got to slow stop cos of the bike"....No, at last minute he sees bike and swerves onto my side of road.
no chance to swerve, i do the natural thing and give a beautiful short sharp punch to the mirror which is now lined up between the bikes throttle and the mirror - it would have passed over my hand on the throttle.
knew straight away that something had broken so didn't bother stopping and drove straight to hospital.
reported to police but the twunt hasn't come forward.
last sight was his mirror (heated, lights, electric et cetera??) tossing 20ft in the air.
I come away with broken meta summat.
Injured in the line of duty, good man :smokin:

Bugger about your hand though, hope it heals quick :frown:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, dont kick a door with door bars inside...that hurts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
mmm. food for thought. ive yet to show my displeasure for a car driver in this manner but in the back of my mind i was thinking 'use the foot'... prob no use for a high 4wd mirror though...

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Sorry to hear Alan of your wee touch of bad luck but IMO you did the right thing . I once booted the drivers mirror off of an MX5 on the motorway and fuck that hurt , I thought I'd broke toes but all came good in about a week or two .

Get well soon .

·
Registered
330 Posts
if it makes you feel ne better you must of done at least £300 worth of damage prob alot more, hats off to ya m8 i`d of done the same, dont know if my gloves would help me at all they have the kevlar knuckles on em will have to try them out soon lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Last week on the motorway - an oxygen thief chatting on his mobile in a Golf decides he doesnt need to look to change lanes and almost pushes me into the concrete barrier
When the @$$h0L3 finally wakes up - he gives me a fooking wave - and expects all to be OK - dickhead
So I went on the inside of him and booted his left rear passenger as hard as I could - yes there was a really significant dent
And yes - the upper inside of my leg hurt like hell for 3 days, but it was absolutely worth it. . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
300 Posts
i believe the highway code states that removing wing mirrors is acceptable in some circumstances and positively encouraged "in extremis".

glad to see your complying with it.we should all strive to do so.

·
Registered
60 Posts
just for future reference, try and get the mirror from the bottom and hit upwards, normally comes clean off, and less impact damage to your soft digits - but still - top marks sir

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers chaps.
had the surgeon fella yesterday take a look "Hmmmm, you now have what is known as boxers knuckle - we have nothing to pin so just leave it to heal. Also, when did you break your fifth finger? It has a hairline fracture":frown:
3 weeks of strapped fingers slight bending and hopefully heals OK.
Was it worth it?....in my minds eye I can still see the big silver mirror flying and spinning through the air...damn right it was worth it.:D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
keep up the good work and gws

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had the offer of physio yesterday but i think it's still a bit too early to do owt with it.
"AlanE production of 'Why you should buy Knox Handroid or similarly armoured gloves and not rely on Fox pawtectors when punching wing mirrors'..."
[video]http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll73/alane_photos/?action=view&current=Video0002.mp4[/video]
Missing 3rd knuckle but i think the little finger knuckle may still be in place under the swelling.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Good work sir

May I suggest for next time use of a 661 pressure suit utilising the elbow armour :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts