KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Deal done yesterday. Trading the 1290 as it sits with all the extras on it. My local dealer will sell it as is. Mega deal considering. Not expecting to see the R for a few weeks but hoping it’s not affected by the KTM factory shutdown.
I really liked the 790 but the 1290 was an itch that had to be scratched. Now the new SDR is out I couldn’t turn down the trade-in offer I received for it.

The R fixes all the 790s disappointing sides (suspension / brakes / last 20bhp of grunt) so it will be a weapon and I’ve always enjoyed the art of corner speed. Something the 1290 just wasn’t really built for.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Good thing about the 790's and 890's the OEM parts seem to be a lot cheaper :confused:
U get the TPMS system complete for £139 Left hand switchgear £65 the same switch for the 1290 £400 :mad:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I’ll miss is heated grips and cruise control #oldman

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
That 890R looks quite nice in that photo. If only it had mirrors, a dustbin for an exhaust, some huge lengths of scaffolding holding a full size licence plate and some reflectors on the forks it would look ace.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bar end mirrors, the Akky thrown in as part of the deal (slip-on) and an order to Evotech being processed.
I can live with fork reflectors.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Post a picture when you get it

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke too soon.

890 is delayed TFN - my dealer is awesome and has told me to keep hold of the SDR, continue to ride it and the deal stays the same.

That said - I’m also hearing (from Wazza) KTM, as well as having no factory at the moment, are struggling to keep the 890 engine reliable.

Can’t afford a new SuperDuke so either I’m Gen2 TFN or I’ll be talking to Triumph about a new 765RS.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I can recommend the 765RS but it's no road bike like the Superduke

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is very true. I already have a 675 Daytona for road legal trackdays and when I fancy something a little lighter and sporty. I’m starting to think an 890R would be a little too similar to be honest. I can’t afford a new Superduke so I need to have a think. Sit on my hands until the 2020 model is reduced to £12k seems to make sense!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is very true. I already have a 675 Daytona for road legal trackdays and when I fancy something a little lighter and sporty. I’m starting to think an 890R would be a little too similar to be honest. I can’t afford a new Superduke so I need to have a think. Sit on my hands until the 2020 model is reduced to £12k seems to make sense!!
I think I'd be inclined to keep the SDR until the 890's start coming through again then take one out for a spin before committing to anything. Or trade in your 1290 and sell the 675 to fund a '20 model SDR?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The attraction of the 890 deal was the price I was offered for my 1290. Not much less than I paid for it so that was what swayed me towards the 890. The point of buying the 675 was to have something to do track days on and something that was totally different to the 1290R. I quote enjoy the bikes I own and the differing experience they allow. I’m not going to sell both to buy a 2020 SDR knowing how KTM prices bomb after a short while anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts