KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and don't yet own an RC8. I like the idea of a sharp handling big v twin, and the looks of the bike are drawing me in.

It would be a secondary bike, other bike is a CBR600, so initial new purchase niggles with reliability on an RC8 isn't as big a problem as if it was my only bike, but what worries me is getting hold of parts.

Common items like original mirrors, inficators can suffer in low speed drops, but seem really hard to get hold of.

I've looked on Ebay etc and other parts seem reasonable, brake pads, discs, chains.

Are spare parts an issue?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I test rode an 09 RC8, and well as you can guess how that went as I now own it ?

I'm impressed with the build quality, and after coming from a 90s era Honda that's saying something.

I've been working on minor issues and upgrades, slipper clutch I'd fitted was a great upgrade as I'd unsettled the rear a couple of times coming in hard on the (superb) brakes into a bend. It didn't cure clutch judder though, neither did an Oberon slave cylinder, changing and bleeding the fluid and cleaning the oil jet only cured it for a few miles.

Fingers crossed, as there was a groove in the steel ring adjacent to the Belleville spring in the clutch pack, so I swapped it with another. Testing it against the brakes tonight was promising.

Just need a nice dry day to confirm.

I've put LEDs in the headlight stack, which weren't cheap but the beam cutoff is better than halogens. Brighter too.

I think for now that's enough, as the suspension is immense, it has plenty of power already and it sounds great on the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fingers crossed, as there was a groove in the steel ring adjacent to the Belleville spring in the clutch pack, so I swapped it with another. Testing it against the brakes tonight was promising.
yes so this is what i was about to mention when reading the juddering, for me this is what fixed my issues of juddering. the one thing i will say, well......more question. is that i assume you used the old clutch plates in your nice new slipper unit? i ask as im under the impression that you might want to use new ones, as i know with mine that with the same wear as i had with the beveled ring. that the pressure plate had some noticeable wear, and if your slipper clutch has a new pressure plate. that you could be wearing it unevenly, much like how you use new pads when you change the rotors. you might want to consider doing the same with the clutch.

it could be that mine had some significant wear compared to yours, i just feel like its worth mentioning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pal, the rest of the steels were in good straight condition, and the friction plates still in spec.

I'd like to have put a fresh set in but I've already spent a small fortune on it, I always expect these hidden issues when buying a used bike.

It might not get fully tested until March now, the weather has turned so doubt we'll have any nice days to play ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For anyone landing here, the grabby clutch was solved eventually by changing the friction discs, and I also removed the Belleville spring as a precaution. I've only been out a few times since and it seems smoother and more predictable.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Just to clarify, for anyone else viewing this thread... Spares are not an issue (New - from KTM at a price!), It's only used spares which may be scarce.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Dodgy clutch most easy fix...oberon slave in combi with Suzuki Hayabusa clutch plates & RC8R Clutch springs. That's what fixed it upon my bike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts