KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have got flashed last night. I was in my van on single carrigway and was doing 55 tops. I know the limit is 50 in vans on single carrigway.

Now here is the exciting bit. There was a car going the otherway. I hope and really think it might have been him.

So how can i tell it it was me and not him? Just wait?

Can speed camera's tell the difference between a van and car. I meen does it's limit change between 50 and 60 for cars and vans.

Cheers, Marc

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
A single speed camera (as far as I know) only covers one direction/lane. Was the cam on your side of the road, the other side or on some sort of central reservation?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was on my side of a road facing the way it should to catch me. But it that camera goes off both ways.~

Cheers, Marc

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
cameras cant distiguish between cars and vans so iff the speed limit is 60 then you will be ok
and if its a car derived van ie old berlingos astravans then its 60 anyway

·
Registered
135 Posts
Marc,

If you were doing 55 in a 50 Zone that is right on the border of the CPS advice to prosecute. Basically they have to apply the Public Interest Test. If it was very late at night with no one else around why would it be in the interests of the public to prosecute you for doing 10% over the limit? The camera has no discretion though.
The camera cannot distinguish that the van you were in is different to other vehicles. If it was an Automatic Number Plate Recognition device (ANPR) then it would check your plate, identify the vehicle type and it can then decide that though you weren't breaking the speed limit for the road you were breaking the limit for the vehicle you were in. However, to my knowledge, they don't tend to flash.
You will have to wait 14 days to find out if it was you the camera flashed at. The Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) must be sent within this time. If not you can't be expected to remember the driving.

Best advice is if you do get an NIP and you can afford the £60 and 3 points just to 'fess up and take the pain. Don't try and use the many excuses that are out there because a conviction for Perverting the Course of Justice (or attempting to) frequently result in time in jail. :eek:
If you can't afford the pain, get good legal advice! :D

Hope this helps? Fingers crossed it wasn't you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Peeler. It was a 60mph road but being a van the limit is 50mph. It looks like a normal camera. Maybe called Gatso or similar.

Thanks you, Marc

·
Registered
135 Posts
It was on my side of a road facing the way it should to catch me. But it that camera goes off both ways.~
The camera's can be triggered by vehicles going FAR TOO FAST in the opposite direction to that which they are set up for but it is unusual.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
One flash or two? One your fine, two, pics been taken
I got flashed once when I slid through a red light (black ice :eek:)

I wrote explained and asked for photographic evidence and for calibration information and the jobsworthy twats took it all into consideration and still got 3 points and a £60 quid fine :mad:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the camera cannot sense the vehicle type then i was under the speed limit according the that camera. If this is the case i am a happy chappy. I think the worst thing is the camera is local and i have known the camera is there since before i was driving.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Red light camera's only take one pic, speed camera's take 2
I was quite confident that once I explained the situation, I'd be let off...but no, they used their combined IQ of 6, studied the numbers (I went through the line at 3mph approx and stopped 3 feet after the line) and still bent me over.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Some speed cameras can tell the difference between vehicles by the way the radar reflects off it and take pictures accordingly - whether they can tell a van from a car though...?

I would be surprised if it triggered at an indicated 55 though - ACPO guidelines are for 10% +2mph, which gives you 57mph, and most speedos over-read too.

Assuming the van's registered in your name at your address, you just need to wait two weeks to see if a NIP turns up.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I was quite confident that once I explained the situation, I'd be let off...but no, they used their combined IQ of 6, studied the numbers (I went through the line at 3mph approx and stopped 3 feet after the line) and still bent me over.
You could have taken it to court and let the Magistrates decide - they can overturn it, but can also increase the penalty too...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Some speed cameras can tell the difference between vehicles by the way the radar reflects off it and take pictures accordingly - whether they can tell a van from a car though...?

I would be surprised if it triggered at an indicated 55 though - ACPO guidelines are for 10% +2mph, which gives you 57mph, and most speedos over-read too.

Assuming the van's registered in your name at your address, you just need to wait two weeks to see if a NIP turns up.
I thnk it's 5% +2mph

1 - 20 of 28 Posts